Some CFB thoughts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some CFB thoughts

j-off-her-doll

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I've been posting brief rundowns of my first impressions on a forum that's just comprised of a few of my buddies. With a new work schedule, this has been the first time I've been able to regularly catch CFB live in years. Anyway, it's been a little slow around these parts, and this is my favorite board on FH, so maybe we can drum up some conversation.

Hundley looked as good as I've seen him in a few weeks. His footwork and throwing mechanics were much tighter than they had been the last couple weeks. I hope he gets to prove himself against a good D in whichever bowl game UCLA attends.

Manziel had his worst game of the season. Missed on a few throws, but I'd only give him full blame for the last INT. He made the right throw on the first INT; his WR just quit on the play. How do you quit on a play when Manziel is your QB? The second INT was off-target but the WR got two hands on the ball. Still, he wasn't as sharp as he has been the rest of the season. But he still went 30 of 39 for 446 yards (that's 11.4 per attempt), threw 5 TD's, and put up over 50 points against an SEC D.

I wrote this about Mariota on 10/29:
I don't think Mariota has the mental makeup of an NFL QB. Seems like a really nice guy, does well academically, and he has great physical traits. To me, he looks shaky when things break down. That offense is such a machine that you rarely see things break down, but when they do, he doesn't handle those situations with grace. I think that Oregon offense would struggle against Alabama. I doubt they'd score over 30. I can see a plight similar to RG3's for Mariota. Looks great for a few games running a read-option offense. Gets hurt. Coaches try to protect him, and everyone sees the flaws the unsustainable system was masking.

Stanford is a nice team, but they AIN'T Alabama. That Stanford D had given up over 20 points four times prior to the Oregon game. Alabama has given up over 20 point only once this season - when they gave up over 40 to the A&M.

C. J. Mosley looks like a top-15 pick to me. I don't know how he'll test, but at times he reminds me of Patrick Willis.

Sticking with 'Bama, Yeldon and Drake will both have significant roles in the NFL. Hard to project where RB's will go in the draft. I had Zac Stacy as the 2nd best RB in the class (because of Lacy's injury concerns), but he somehow fell to the 5th RD. Yeldon has elite feet (especially for his size), and Drake is as explosive as you'd want. I haven't seen a college RB flash burst like that since C. J. Spiller.

Odell Beckham is nasty. Wouldn't at all be surprised if in 5 years, he's seen as the best WR from the 2014 class (assuming he leaves). Landry is also very good. Probably a 3rd or 4th RD pick.

If I'm Steve Ross, there are two CFB coaches I'm looking at to potentially replace Philbin, and both are pipe dreams. The first is David Shaw. Strong, intelligent man. Has the right approach to the game, and we've seen that system translate well in the NFL. The other is Gus Malzahn. Brilliant offensive coach, and we've heard about it, but not enough people are discussing how physical he's made that Auburn team on both sides of the ball. Both these guys get it, and both have the charisma to lead an NFL team. I doubt Ross considers either, and even if he did, I doubt either would leave their current situations to take over the mess that is the Miami Dolphins. Malzahn, though, has (I believe) the lightest contract of any SEC coach. Break the bank, and bring him to Miami.

The Iron Bowl could well be the game of the year. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Auburn playing Missouri in the SEC Championship.

Nice win for Baylor, but Oklahoma isn't very good. Their QB is an absolute mess. Makes Tim Tebow look like Dan Marino. The OK State game should be a better test.

FSU should be the favorite to win the National Title. They have the clearest path to the game, and I'd give them at least a 50/50 shot against anyone.

Odell Beckham is nasty. Wouldn't at all be surprised if in 5 years, he's seen as the best WR from the 2014 class (assuming he leaves). Landry is also very good. Probably a 3rd or 4th RD pick.

Completely agree with you on this one, I am most intrigued... I see him as a blend between James Jones and Jordy Nelson. A dynamic playmaker with the ball in his hand both as a wr and in the return game, but he's got a 'thickness' to him physically that I like. Would be a nice blend with Matthews who I've been very high on for a while now, just hope he gets more playing time.

I have a feeling though he could sneak up into the 2nd rd.

Coaches wise...

David Shaw - yep, agree with this.

Malzahn - wouldn't have considered this but it is intriguing. I would be ok with this if he could entice Kirby Smart away from Bama to run a 30 front with the personnel we have on D.

i like landry more than beckham as a pro...landrys a more polished route runner physical and plays smart...beckhams got a limited route runner pro future to me...a guy that can't run a route tree...beckhams more explosive but i think landrys your more well rounded dependent consistent pro wr...

for our system landry would be my guy

i like landry more than beckham as a pro...landrys a more polished route runner physical and plays smart...beckhams got a limited route runner pro future to me...a guy that can't run a route tree...beckhams more explosive but i think landrys your more well rounded dependent consistent pro wr...

Hoops..How do you feel about C.J. Mosley?

Agree on everything but Shaw. He enjoys accepting entirely too much credit for the work done by Harbaugh.

CJ Mosley is very good. He's an impact player. I would take him over the Tackles.

I like the two safeties Hillary Clinton-Dix and Ed Reynolds.

Beckham is clutch with attitude. He makes everyone around him better. I like Lee and Landry too.

Given our LB woes, I've been looking at guys, focusing a lot on instincts. I wouldn't shut up about Kiko Alonso all last season and cant believe we didn't take that total no-brainer. But that ship has sailed so I'm trying to see who of this years crop can improve that unit.

Not at Alonso's level, but UConn's Yawin Smallwood intrigues. Great instincts, good mobility, his tackling form needs a little work (not unlike the entire Dolphins roster). But he makes a lot of tackles he has no right to make with instinct and effort. If not the most polished LB out there, he has the highest ceiling of those i've looked at.

Bama's has only given up more than 20 points 4 times in the past 36 games. Johnny Manziel has two of those. Other was to Georgia in the SEC championship game last year, and gave up 21 points to Georgia Southern's option attack in 2011 as the team napped through that game with some starters on defense out with injury.

Texas A&M with Johnny Manziel, and Georgia in the SEC title game last year are the only two ranked teams to score more than 17 points against Bama in 3 years.

Manziel continues to amaze on the field. I've never seen a kid who can run full speed to his left, and throw all the way back across the field to the right, 25 yards downfield, and zip strikes inbetween two defenders the way he can. I've never seen it before. He does it over and over again. I don't subscribe to any questions regarding the strength of his arm....they're obviously just not paying attention.

Mike Evans isn't quite Calvin Johnson, but he's the closest thing to it since Calvin Johnson. At minimum, Evans is Vincent Jackson. I think he falls somewhere inbetween Vincent Jackson and Calvin Johnson as a pro. That's worthy of a top 10 pick.

Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham are both incredible. Both have unusually large hands for receivers they're size. Landry has the strongest pair of hands in the country. Every single game he makes at least one catch that is nearly impossible...going back to last year. He's better at reading coverages than Beckham, which is why Landry is used in the slot more. Beckham creates more seperation against man coverage. Gets open easily. Both translate extremely well to the NFL.

I could well be undervaluing Landry. I've watched most of the LSU games this season, and I've liked him a lot. He kind of reminds me of a bigger Troy Brown. Based on the other WR's available, though, I think it'll be hard for him to go earlier than the 2nd. I know Beckham isn't as polished, but watching him on the perimeter, you'd swear he's 6'3. Chris Chambers was like that, and sometimes Beckham reminds me of him, but I think he's a better WR than Chambers was. Been a while since a draft had this many explosive WR's (assuming the expected underclassmen do leave).

Bama's has only given up more than 20 points 4 times in the past 36 games. Johnny Manziel has two of those. Other was to Georgia in the SEC championship game last year, and gave up 21 points to Georgia Southern's option attack in 2011 as the team napped through that game with some starters on defense out with injury.

Texas A&M with Johnny Manziel, and Georgia in the SEC title game last year are the only two ranked teams to score more than 17 points against Bama in 3 years.

Now that is a WOW stat.

Manziel continues to amaze on the field. I've never seen a kid who can run full speed to his left, and throw all the way back across the field to the right, 25 yards downfield, and zip strikes inbetween two defenders the way he can. I've never seen it before. He does it over and over again. I don't subscribe to any questions regarding the strength of his arm....they're obviously just not paying attention.

Mike Evans isn't quite Calvin Johnson, but he's the closest thing to it since Calvin Johnson. At minimum, Evans is Vincent Jackson. I think he falls somewhere inbetween Vincent Jackson and Calvin Johnson as a pro. That's worthy of a top 10 pick.

Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham are both incredible. Both have unusually large hands for receivers they're size. Landry has the strongest pair of hands in the country. Every single game he makes at least one catch that is nearly impossible...going back to last year. He's better at reading coverages than Beckham, which is why Landry is used in the slot more. Beckham creates more seperation against man coverage. Gets open easily. Both translate extremely well to the NFL.

Slimm, have you seen many drafts that have this much WR talent (again, assuming the underclassmen leave) toward the top? There are recent drafts where I can easily see Landry as a 1st RD pick; I think he compares favorably to K. Wright. Not that they're the same player, but both can play slot or on the perimeter. This year, I think he'll have a hard time going that early - though I can see a team like New England coveting him because of his football IQ combined with his versatility.

I think you're spot on in saying that Evans projects between Johnson and VJax. As a talent, I think he's pretty much VJax, but, probably because of his time playing basketball, he plays with better balance and change of direction. How's your WR board looking these days? I've heard more than one announcer (Andre Ware immediately comes to mind) say that Evans has made Manziel this season, and I can't jive with that. Obviously, a talented WR will help a QB, but on many of Evans spectacular catches, there aren't any other QB's in the nation who could have given him the opportunity - whether it be due to ball placement, Manziel buying time with his feet, or some combination of the two. To me, it's clearly a mutually beneficial partnership.

Given it's so loaded, I wonder if some of the underclassmen WRs will wait till next year to come out...

Agree on everything but Shaw. He enjoys accepting entirely too much credit for the work done by Harbaugh.

I would agree, but Stanford hasn't seen any drop off - even with a vastly inferior QB. It's not like a Barry Switzer in Dallas situation, where the team was in decline the second he stepped into the role of HC.

The only concern for Shaw - as I see it - would be whether or not he can build a program. With the right GM, I think Shaw would succeed.

Back
Top Bottom