Some Draft Thoughts After Looking at Some Early Mock Drafts | Page 29 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some Draft Thoughts After Looking at Some Early Mock Drafts

Agree. You can play Derwin with TJ & Rehad in a big Nickel and Dime. He can even play LB in base variation. Point is he fits and wouldn't pass on his talent.

If mark Barron can play lb in nickel so can tj or Derwin James in some packages.

Of course the rams o dented the scoreboard and they had enough scoring and pass rush to hide the exposure up until yesterday.

I think miami has to try and get more size on gronk. Derwin gives us that plus he’s a high level athlete

Last edited:
BTW, I like Edmunds from VT. He looks fast out there with his closing speed and strong. Very dynamic for what I've seen so far. Don't know that he'd be there at 42 for us but if we trade down then who knows.

Ozzy rules!!

I’d love to get James in the first and then Edwards at strong and potential nickel mike in the 2nd but I don’t think it’s gonna happen. Think he goes prior so I need to find some other top 50 worthy backers.

I agree that we need to be able to cover the TE and RB out of the back field but we'll never be a great defense till we can find a consistent pass rush. As long as the QB has all day to throw we're gonna have a hard time getting off the field

Ozzy rules!!

I don’t mind passion, doing things that cost your team and drawing penalties or ejections concern me though.

I think JDW had it right- that spoke to Landry and had it under control but those last 2 games, not so much.

Im going to say Smith goes to Oakland at 10 and we draft James at 11. Thats where Im at the moment. Next choose would be best DE most likley.

I think James will go in front of Roquan if he measures out undersized.

Oakland could very well be James land spot if they let go the safety they picked up from cinci but they could also be in the left tackle market at 10 with the major injury the older incumbent sustained late in the year.

That’s gonna be a team to watch to see moves they make at lt and safety. I think they also need a piece at dt but 10s gonna be rich for any of the options

I’d love to get James in the first and then Edwards at strong and potential nickel mike in the 2nd but I don’t think it’s gonna happen. Think he goes prior so I need to find some other top 50 worthy backers.
Edwards had 7 INT's in his last two years....wow....along with 9 PD too so he gets his hands on the football. He should be there at 42 also

Ozzy rules!!

As much as I want this to be wrong, I believe you are correct. My theory is he could be a game changer on offense. Games are still won and lost in the trenches. Our approach to the offensive line has been the definition of insanity...doing the same thing over and over each year and expecting different results. Fix the offensive line and RT17 gets 25% better, Drake or whoever else we get in the backfield besides Williams will be stronger...IMO if we can shore up this O-line, get a TE in the 2nd round or FA and same with LB...we would be so much better...I just can't take the band-aid approach to the O-line anymore...it's maddening!!!

I think a 2nd Rd Guard and smart FA signing should help the OL, as would RT17 return.
Hoping Rd 1 dynamic best DEF player

I’m not sure Edwards is the ideal range issue fix at lb however. Poa wise though yeah buddy

And I’m gonna disagree that at 6 foot 4 250 lbs with those movement skills and hips and how nfl ready he is at 19 no less he sniffs pick 42.

That kids 19

Riley Ferguson is that guy for me. A huge arm and very mobile

I’m all aboard the Ferguson train. I noticed him week 1, and made it a point after that to watch every Memphis game. I’d take him in the 3rd or 4th round, and with time, I’d be shocked if he didn’t develop into an above average starter

If Christian Sam runs better than his estimated 4.81 40, look for him to rise up boards. With regard to tackling, general physicality, and instincts, he's what you want. People arrive late to the party on players out west, and I expect that to be the case for Sam. Of course, if he runs 4.81, he won't go early or be of much use to Miami, but it's worth noting that he ran a 4.74 coming out of high school. He went down in Week 1 of 2016, and he missed the rest of the season, so it's possible that he lost a step, or it's possible that someone got that estimate when he wasn't all-the-way back. 2017 was his best season by a wide margin, and he improved throughout the year.

I like billy price also in 2nd round but only if pouncey walks the plank

I’m not expecting price to be there at 42 either

Chubb in the 3rd id be happy with too but they probably want a more fluid pass catcher I’d say

Chubb may end up being the best value in the class at rb

I think James will go in front of Roquan if he measures out undersized.

Oakland could very well be James land spot if they let go the safety they picked up from cinci but they could also be in the left tackle market at 10 with the major injury the older incumbent sustained late in the year.

That’s gonna be a team to watch to see moves they make at lt and safety. I think they also need a piece at dt but 10s gonna be rich for any of the options

Do you think oakland would draft james, considering they drafted Karl Joseph and Obi Melifonwu recently?? LT seems more likely, unless they are going to use obi at cb i guess

I like billy price also in 2nd round but only if pouncey walks the plank

I’m not expecting price to be there at 42 either

Chubb in the 3rd id be happy with too but they probably want a more fluid pass catcher I’d say

If Pouncey is gone, and Price isn't there at 42, Mason Cole is in his range. Penny might be a better fit than Chubb, but I'd be happy with either. If they wait on RB, I like Phillip Lindsay and Ito Smith in the 5th-7th range.

Do you think oakland would draft james, considering they drafted Karl Joseph and Obi Melifonwu recently?? LT seems more likely, unless they are going to use obi at cb i guess

Ahh I forgot about melifonwu good call. Unless they are moving him to corner which I doubt.

Good call. No they’d promote him. That helps us

I was thinking they didn’t have a guy to pair with joseph

Melifonwu needs to play half field assignments

Darwin James would go a very long way in helping to stop the lack of middle of the field coverage. Unfortunately he’d be the only member of the Dolphins with the ability to do that, if he’s eventually available and drafted @ #11

Back
Top Bottom