Some Draft Thoughts After Looking at Some Early Mock Drafts | Page 30 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some Draft Thoughts After Looking at Some Early Mock Drafts

I agree that we need to be able to cover the TE and RB out of the back field but we'll never be a great defense till we can find a consistent pass rush. As long as the QB has all day to throw we're gonna have a hard time getting off the field

Ozzy rules!!
Agree just don't see a dynamic every down 4-3 DE outside of Chubb. I don't want to reach and pass on some real special talents like Minkah & Derwin.

Ahh I forgot about melifonwu good call. Unless they are moving him to corner which I doubt.

So maybe they go for that LT or maybe Smith in front of us. I would be happy with James, Nelson, or Smith I think. Is James a true center fielder type though? Seems like some people think of him more of a SS, but if he has coverage ability to take away TE's or a slot receiver, sign me up. I just think if add another safety, we can use TJ in a hybrid role at times, he has to be better in coverage than most LB's.

So maybe they go for that LT or maybe Smith in front of us. I would be happy with James, Nelson, or Smith I think. Is James a true center fielder type though? Seems like some people think of him more of a SS, but if he has coverage ability to take away TE's or a slot receiver, sign me up. I just think if add another safety, we can use TJ in a hybrid role at times, he has to be better in coverage than most LB's.

No I don’t see true center fielder but I don’t think miamis looking for that anyways. I think they are looking for range and speed at lb but size that also meets scheme ask and for nickel carry cover and maybe the hybrid type add for the middle of the field that also will strike you.

6 foot 3 is id say what the doctor ordered. Roquan is probably gonna have trouble carrying coverage vs size when the balls thrown above his head. Look at the int by James vs bc this year. He goes up and high points that thing

If James was 6 foot 1 id probably say nah but 6 foot 3 with that length and that physicality plus athlete and yeah I’m in. He can cover ground too and fly to the football. Looks like he’s gonna run 4.5s worst case

What’s to say miami can’t make that add at 11 and get a lb at 42? Most drafts you are in the honey hole for lbs at 42. Falls off around 50

It’s not like we’d be reaching at 11

Last edited:
Edwards had 7 INT's in his last two years....wow....along with 9 PD too so he gets his hands on the football. He should be there at 42 also

Ozzy rules!!
James and Edwards combo along with Raekwon goes hell of a way towards fixing this defense.

No I don’t see true center fielder but I don’t think miamis looking for that anyways. I think they are looking for range and speed at lb but size that also meets scheme ask and for nickel carry cover and maybe the hybrid type add for the middle of the field that also will strike you.

6 foot 3 is id say what the doctor ordered. Roquan is probably gonna have trouble carrying coverage vs size when the balls thrown above his head. Look at the int by James vs bc this year. He goes up and high points that thing

If James was 6 foot 1 id probably say nah but 6 foot 3 with that length and that physicality plus athlete and yeah I’m in. He can cover ground too and fly to the football. Looks like he’s gonna run 4.5s worst case

What’s to say miami can’t make that add at 11 and get a lb at 42? Most drafts you are in the honey hole for lbs at 42. Falls off around 50

It’s not like we’d be reaching at 11

Thing about R Smith that I don't like so much is his approach at times against the run. Remember Reuben Foster- how he was like a heat seeking missle against run. He attacked the run in ways that I haven't seen in awhile. Reason why I was disappointed we didn't select him last year. (No knock on Harris).
R Smith - I may be wrong - small sample of review but he seems to drift in front of the LOS more. Different technique.

Build the defense up, and run the football effectively. Thats what I would like to see, and a TE but not sure we can get one.

That works for the Jags and Bortles is brutal. Just missed two easy throws

Thing about R Smith that I don't like so much is his approach at times against the run. Remember Reuben Foster- how he was like a heat seeking missle against run. He attacked the run in ways that I haven't seen in awhile. Reason why I was disappointed we didn't select him last year. (No knock on Harris).
R Smith - I may be wrong - small sample of review but he seems to drift in front of the LOS more. Different technique.

Roquans more likely to run around you than flow laterally to the ball cause he’s so post snap reactionary. You add that with the poa can be washed out due to size and I think miami sees weakside only for its scheme

Some of his instincts play is masked at the college level by his top shelf speed and perimeter field range. That range is sick.

But ideally he flows laterally to the ball reading keys inside and just off tackle

Foster was the cleanest lb on college tape to the ball you will ever see

Rashaan Evans enjoys that this year. But he looks mostly north south to me

I agree but I think New England is gonna be in love with Edwards for their scheme

Burke better get creative and productive- if he has these pieces:
Defense of Suh Phillips Godchaux Wake Harris
Edwards & Raekwon
James Hybrid
TJ Reshad Tank X McCain

Roquans more likely to run around you than flow laterally to the ball cause he’s so post snap reactionary. You add that with the poa can be washed out due to size and I think miami sees weakside only for its scheme

Some of his instincts play is masked at the college level by his top shelf speed and perimeter field range. That range is sick.

But ideally he flows laterally to the ball reading keys inside and just off tackle

Foster was the cleanest lb on college tape to the ball you will ever see

Rashaan Evans enjoys that this year. But he looks mostly north south to me

Maybe unfair to compare anyone to Foster. IMO if he stays healthy he is HOF type player. Check back with me in 20 years lol.
R smith lateral speed and range is pretty damn impressive as you said.

Plus the de and tight end group looks suspect to me top 50

We need pieces at both but if the values not there don’t force it. Grab that hybrid player at 11 and a lb at 42

get the pick value

Last edited:
That's the thing right there hoops. Value. And like you said the value won't be there at DE at 11 unless a miracle happens and Chubb drops and LB might not be value there either so honestly I'm warming up to a guy like James and then LB at 42 and TE at 73.
Edmunds, Edwards, Baker are all in the mix on day two so one of those guys with RM and I guess Alonso? But we need another starter over Alonso so I'm giving Anthony a long look there

O-line just get a guard in free agency and roll with the rest.
LT-Tunsil
LG-Free agent
C-I guess we're stuck with Pouncey but Brendel should be near by
RG-Davis?
RTR-Smith/Sterup/Davis winner

Of course we'll have to wait and see what happens with Landry

Ozzy rules!!

Based on what I’ve seen of the te group so far I’d say 73 would be value there

Edwards also looks maxed out athletically to me and lacks speed and range. So I don’t see the fit there

I want to look at the Texas backer and this kid from Boise that there seems to be a lot of momentum with plus I want to look at mid round potential qb options like falk and I will check out the Memphis kid Ferguson although I’m expecting that offense he comes from not really to translate unless it’s changed

Plus I heard Memphis has a slot option so I want to look at that in case Landry walks

Back
Top Bottom