Spikes & Mclain fail to impress ! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spikes & Mclain fail to impress !

His speed looked real slow last night. I'm starting to lean towards Spikes after watching Mclain against Texas. I just like MLB that has Range and Mclain didnt show that last night. He is going to have a good combine now and we shall see. I love this time of year.

You're right. When it comes to runs up the middle, I don't think anyone is better at the collegiate level than McClain. But if it's a toss outside, forget about it.

What was the score of the game when McCoy went out? And that freshman came in and looked like the Freshman who took Bradfords spot. Scared.

Yes it does mean NAT. Champ. Good Job. Doesn't take away from the fact a freshman took over when TEX was up 6-0.

Maybe you don't watch Texas football, but Shipley and McCoy would have eaten that secondary up. Oh well...you can hang your hat and stats on a freshman qb who turned the ball over.:thanks:
The score when McCoy went out was 0-0. Yes, Gilbert looked like a dear in headlights. I do watch Texas football. McCoy to Shipley is has been one of the best if not the best combination in college football the past couple of years. I was rooting for Texas and was disappointed when he went out.

Having said that McClain is still a stud. I truly don't understand your logic. The argument was you were saying McClain did not impress. I responded with stats to show he and the Alabama defense played well. Your response is it didn't matter b/c it was a freshman QB and McCoy to Shipley would have eaten up the CBs. Do you understand that Mclain plays ILB and would not be covering Shipley? What exactly is your point?

Saban calls McClain the smartest player he has ever coached. The guy puts in around 3 hours of film study a day. Won the Butkus award. Is 6'4", 258 and runs a 4.6. What exactly is not to like about this kid? Will be a pro bowler if stays healthy.

I'm really curious to see how McClain times in the 40, 3 cone and shuttle drills.

I'm really curious to see how McClain times in the 40, 3 cone and shuttle drills.

He's been running 4.6 's at Bama.
We'll see come combine...He is only 20...still can add weight...
6'4 250 now.
Do some of you even watch the games or just read the stats and flap that lip?

All i saw was McClain disrupting plays in the backfield, shooting gaps well and even batting down passes. Yep, not impressive at all.... /sarcasm off

He's been running 4.6 's at Bama.
We'll see come combine...He is only 20...still can add weight...
6'4 250 now.
Do some of you even watch the games or just read the stats and flap that lip?

I never even looked at the box score.

Tell me, do you honestly think he runs a 4.6 going by what you watched last night?

I agree. When I heard all the hype about McClain, I expected him to be Patrick Willis like, and he's not even close. McClain has great instincts, and no doubt he's very smart. But if it were me, if I have the 12th pick in the draft, I want more than instincts/size. I want range too, and McClain doesn't provide that. He's either really, really slow, or he's got a poor motor, maybe both.

I pray some team selects him before the 12th pick.
exactly you want a play-maker someone who can change the game. maybe i need to see more but after everyone here daunts him the next hall of fame can't miss player...I just don't see nothing more than a defensive-end end playing linebacker. and Terrence cody is soft too.

All i saw was McClain disrupting plays in the backfield, shooting gaps well and even batting down passes. Yep, not impressive at all.... /sarcasm off

Nobody is saying he lacks instincts, just that he doesn't appear to have sideline to sideline speed.

Whether he looked great or not last night means NOTHING when talking about his NFL status. If you based a players ability to play in the NFL on one game performances in college...then all the wrong players would be in the NFL.

I thought Sergio Kindle (OLB) had a better game than McClain last night. Showed a lot of instinct and able to somewhat hold the edge against Bama's running game.

Smarts have nothing to do with Ted Ginn's hands
No but it has a lot to do with his route running and poor decision making. Like the fact that often doesn't seem to know where the first down marker is. That's on top of his mediocre hands.

Back to McClain. He seems to be smart, tough, a real leader and very bright. This is a kid who could be a real leader on our defense for years. And he already plays 3-4 defense. I really want him on our team. If I could I'd draft McClain with our first, Mt Cody with our second and Eryck Anders with our third. Our defense would be instantly better. Not going to happen but a guy can dream.

It's not about 1 game. It's really about what he was able to do against top competition and it gets no bigger than the game last night. His overall proformance is really good. Maybe the Texas backs were really that fast. That is just a thought. :d-day:

Whether he looked great or not last night means NOTHING when talking about his NFL status. If you based a players ability to play in the NFL on one game performances in college...then all the wrong players would be in the NFL.

I agree. McClain is a slug. And Spikes...he makes some big plays, but I also saw him get run over by a QB this year too.

Personally, I would rather have Angerer from Iowa...and we can get him in the 3rd possibly.

what did he do wrong?? I dont see missed tackels..

Did you see his pursuit? He is SLOW...he would be another ILB that can't cover a WR and we would have to watch him chasing TE's down the field like we have all year. We need someone FAST!!!

Sorry, but those stats w/ no McCoy mean little.

Exactly!! They were playing a team with no passing game and little or no running game.

That being said, because of that...this game was not really a fair test of McClain; however, I have watched him in a number of games this year...and I am still not impressed.

Back
Top Bottom