Spikes & Mclain fail to impress ! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spikes & Mclain fail to impress !

I'm really curious to see how McClain times in the 40, 3 cone and shuttle drills.

Yep, because that is the drawback I see...he doesn't appear to have ANY speed. He looks like a slug. His instincts tend to make up for it because he goes to the right spot...I'm not sure that would be enough in the NFL.

He's been running 4.6 's at Bama.
We'll see come combine...He is only 20...still can add weight...
6'4 250 now.
Do some of you even watch the games or just read the stats and flap that lip?

Who's reading stats? I'm looking at what I am seeing on the field and he looks slow!!!

I never even looked at the box score.

Tell me, do you honestly think he runs a 4.6 going by what you watched last night?

I've watched him live at practice...so hell yes.

Boys...don't mistake fluid for slow.

I've watched him live at practice...so hell yes.

Just curious, how does he look chasing down sweeps/tosses to the half back? I really want to like McClain, he has everything you could ask for in a linebacker, I just haven't seen the athleticism. I hope I'm wrong and he was playing at less than 100%.

Just curious, how does he look chasing down sweeps/tosses to the half back? I really want to like McClain, he has everything you could ask for in a linebacker, I just haven't seen the athleticism. I hope I'm wrong and he was playing at less than 100%.

McClain is the total package...
He has only been playing organized football for about 6 years.
What I think people are mistaken for slow is his fluid natural ability
to be in the right place.
You should see this kid direct traffic at field level,and Saban runs a
very complicated defense.
I'm trying to look at this without being a Bama fanboy.

I completely agree with the sentiment that Rolando McClain was invisible against the Texas D last night. ;)

Ro had an axcellent first half, as did a lot of Bamans as they smelled serious blood in the water with Colt McCoy going out and Garrett Gilbert coming in. Everyone knew the Texas coaches didn't trust Gilbert a lick, and so Bama was in full attack mode. They tried to keep that up in the second half but made key mistakes and Ro also cooled down, didn't have as great a second half.

I don't agree with the notion that he looked bad. He looked pretty damned good actually.

Is it #12 pick good? I don't know yet. I've stuck up for Brandon Spikes a lot because I feel a lot of folks are unfairly dismissing him, but I have said over and over that I have not decided which player is the better LB prospect overall, though Spikes is the better fit for Miami's defense.

The reasons for my indecision, despite my praise of Spikes, are that Ro has the following in his favor, ranked by how much weight I put on the advantage:

1. Straight line speed
2. Length
3. Film study
4. Durability
5. Emotional control
6. Strength

Players don't get faster in the NFL, generally speaking. That's why it's the #1 advantage to me that Ro has over Spikes...because no matter what, he'll probably always have that advantage...and the NFL is very much about speed. Length, too. Because he's taller, because he has longer arms, he'll dominate passing lanes a little more than Spikes and that's important. The film study is an extremely important factor right now and on game day, the only reason it doesn't rank higher is because players regularly do develop better, sometimes MUCH better film study habits in the NFL...which translate to their instincts, grasp of the defense and grasp of the opponent's offense, on the field. Right now, there's no doubt Ro is better with it. Durability is important and Ro has that advantage because Spikes has missed a game or two last year, and fought nagging injuries this year. It's not much of an advantage, but it's an advantage. When it comes to emotional control, I rank that low because the emotion that Spikes plays with leads to him having better hustle and better physicality, however among the two Spikes is the only guy that consistently loses control of himself on the field in a detrimental way. Hence the eye gouging. And against LSU a year ago, he returns an interception for a TD but then kicks the ball into the stands getting his team a penalty. That stuff may not happen at all at the next level, but it also might. As for strength, Spikes is incredibly strong...but McClain is stronger, which is saying something. The reason I rank it lowest is, players get stronger in the NFL. Happens all the time. One guy looks stronger now, by the time the NFL is done with the two of them, it could be switched. Have seen that happen all the time.

Overall, though I rate Takeo's cousin as more apt for Miami's defense, I'm starting to lean toward McClain as the better overall LB prospect...but the margin is not high. Spikes is as productive as McClain, as impactful as him (or more, in some areas), without having been coached up as strongly as Ro...and so you absolutely wonder if Spikes has the higher ceiling once he learns how to truly study film and translate it on the field, gets even stronger than he is, and gets into a defense that has better supporting players.

I really like Rolando McClain, and last night was a good example why he's a very good player. But it needs to be noted that this guy is not a Patrick Willis. He plays in a system that supports him extremely well, and he doesn't turn and run very well.

He is not PW (we whiffed on him) but Ro was directing traffic and that was sensataional - and calling out where the ball was going - his hands never stopped directing traffic during the play - awesome stuff - his instincts were great - similar to Zach Thomas in that sense..

McClain is the total package...
He has only been playing organized football for about 6 years.
What I think people are mistaken for slow is his fluid natural ability
to be in the right place.
You should see this kid direct traffic at field level,and Saban runs a
very complicated defense.
I'm trying to look at this without being a Bama fanboy.

Ummmmmm no you aren't, i've read your posts.

the guy made more plays TONIGHT than channing crowder has made in his career it seems...lol

but he didn't impress???

lol, you read my mind Hoops. read my mind. well Sergio Kindle had more sacks than Channing will probably have after 10 years in the NFL. btw, this talk of Taylor Mays at 12 better be crap. Mays needs to do what Roy Williams should have done. Put on another 15-20 lbs and play linebacker in the NFL, ala Thomas Davis.

Are you referring to last nights game against Texas? I looked at him alot last night. I'm not sure what you saw that was impressive. He did play solid but i wouldn't say impressive.

:ponder:

well they showed a thing before the game that impressed me a lot. how he is the qb of the defense and changes the play as soon as they offense brings motion and things like this. also he read that screen very good and was in on alot of tackles. yes it wasnt his best game but he was really good at the beginning of the game and i really think this kid will be the real deal. i also love sergio kindle and jerry hughes

well they showed a thing before the game that impressed me a lot. how he is the qb of the defense and changes the play as soon as they offense brings motion and things like this. also he read that screen very good and was in on alot of tackles. yes it wasnt his best game but he was really good at the beginning of the game and i really think this kid will be the real deal. i also love sergio kindle and jerry hughes

Don't get me wrong I feel Mclain is the Defensive leader for Alabama and He showed really good skills on the field this season. He did everything a linebacker is suppose to do. There just wasn't any WOW factor in it for me. When you look at a stud linebacker in a big game you expect some great plays to make you say he's going to be a star. I'm not going to say he's not going to be a star. I'm just saying I was expecting a little more. Like Sergio Kindle played last night. he had a good night if you ask me.

Then give me his negatives.
the guy is a good player but is slow as fudge . this is why i hate the 3-4 because you have to use a short fat guy in the middle and essentially defensive ends as line- backers , so now you have defensive ends trying to chase down running back tight-ends

I'm really curious to see how McClain times in the 40, 3 cone and shuttle drills.

Here is peoples problem right here....nothing personal.

So much is about there speed and drills and yadda yadda yadda.

HE IS A FOOTBALL PLAYER!

Football is a mental game in a 1000 ways. What is your mental state when going into a big game? Well, the dude just plays cool and stays his ground and covers his area.

Mcclain is his mentally sound. He is big for an ILB. He stays home and does not overcommit to some stupid *** blitz (although he is definitely capable of it) that takes him out of the play.

That is what we need. Someone who just knows what the hell he is doing regardless of how it looks. Cus to me, I was first unimpressed. But if you think about it, teams probably run away from him.

Back
Top Bottom