Stop investing in Complementary pieces.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stop investing in Complementary pieces..

ANUFan

Club Member
Reaction score
Here is a list of the playoff teams...

AFC

1. Pittsburgh Steelers (9-2)

2. New England Patriots (9-2)
3. Tennessee Titans (7-4)
4. Kansas City Chiefs (6-5)

5. Jacksonville Jaguars (7-4)
6. Baltimore Ravens (6-5)

NFC
1. Philadelphia Eagles (10-1)

2. Minnesota Vikings (9-2)
3. Los Angeles Rams (8-3)
4. New Orleans Saints (8-3)
5. Carolina Panthers (8-3)
6. Atlanta Falcons (7-4)

What I find interesting is only 3 of those teams have what I would consider a "Dynamic" receiving core (TE + Wide Receivers or Wide Receivers). What I also find interesting is that none of those teams are still in the playoffs or the SB at this time.

Which brings up another question. What does that tell you about those pieces when it comes to making it and advancing in the playoffs?

IMO, it tells you that those are "complementary pieces" and if you make them your priority as an organization you're doomed to either not make the playoffs or not get very far.

So what do the more successful teams have in common?

1) Great QB play
2) Great Trench (OL/DL) play.
3) Note 1+2 are certainly a product of coaching
4) Everything else.

Thus, if my premise is correct then it seems what you need to invest in to have long-term success seems obvious. The things you shouldn't be investing in are equally obvious.

If I'm going to invest 14mil in a position it's not going to be a receiver. It's going to be on a QB, OL, DL, LB, CB FIRST!!!

How in the **** more fans don't recognize this blows my mind. But let's pay 14+ million to the so called leader of the team who had yet to be voted team captain by his peers mind you. That money can be well spent in so many more effective areas. The love affair with Landry's passion is crazy in comparison to what it may cost to keep him at the expense of the team moving foward.

How in the **** more fans don't recognize this blows my mind. But let's pay 14+ million to the so called leader of the team who had yet to be voted team captain by his peers mind you. That money can be well spent in so many more effective areas. The love affair with Landry's passion is crazy in comparison to what it may cost to keep him at the expense of the team moving foward.

That's part of it but even bigger is impact! There are only so many players that can truly impact the game from their position. QB, by far, has the biggest impact on the game. Staying on that side of the ball the people that protect or don't protect said QB and finally the skill set players and that's where players like Landry and others like Julio Jones fall.

Jimmy Garrapolo goes to the 49ers and they are already a different team
Deshawn Watson goes to Houston and they are already a different team
Rogers gets hurt at the Packers look like crap!

BTW with the exact same skill set players as before in those scenarios.

Point being, on that side of the ball, if your QB isn't very good and/or isn't very protected then how the hell is your skill set players (like WR) going to make impact plays consistently?

Moreover what those skillset players bring to the field are A LOT easier to replace than say the QB position. How many years have the Patriots been trying to teach the entire league that lesson? If you have a Tom Brady or a Jimmy Garrapolo you don't NEED a Jarvis Landry...You can get away with Deon Branch. But if you don't have a Tom Brady or Jimmy Garrapolo..Jarvis Landry isn't doing crap for your team.

By the way this isn't a knock of Landry..it's a knock on priorities and building your team the right way for long term success.

Soooo I would call Ertz+Jeffrey a dynamic receiving corps.

But I do get your point. I would much rather have a plethora of weapons than one very good weapon.

Which is why in my offseason plan I wanted to sign Trey Burton, draft Troy Fumagalli, draft another receiver, and sign Marqise Lee. None of those guys are going to be top-5 NFL receivers, but having a slew of guys to rely on is key.

Force-feeding targets to a player isn't smart. Take what's there based on the defense, not forcing it no matter what's going on.

But I do get your point. I would much rather have a plethora of weapons than one very good weapon.

Which is why in my offseason plan I wanted to sign Trey Burton, draft Troy Fumagalli, draft another receiver, and sign Marqise Lee. None of those guys are going to be top-5 NFL receivers, but having a slew of guys to rely on is key.

Force-feeding targets to a player isn't smart. Take what's there based on the defense, not forcing it no matter what's going on.

I'd love that..Lee could be a very good WR if he is used properly.

I hear you on Ertz+ Jeffrey. But those players aren't the make or break of getting you into the post-season. I think it goes without question... Miami investing Landry money into 2 quality lineman or competent coaching staff etc would have more impact than investing Landry money into Landry.

If letting Landry walk forces a Gase to get rid of the bubble screens than plague this offense then see ya Landry!

The Dolphins actually usually draft decently, based on how many of their former draft picks are playing still.

They fail miserably in the player development side of things and in the 'building a TEAM' side and in the strategy side as well.

Landry's stats are inflated because they did not play enough of their other wideouts.

Just like RT's stats are inflated based on throwing so many high percentage short passes.

Signing Landry or letting him go will not have the impact that many fans seem to think it will.

They have MANY things they need to do better before they can win consistently.

If they had better guard play they would have won more games last season, with or WITHOUT Landry.

It seems New England invests in complimentry pieces. They haven't need to go after a qb in a decade, and I'm sure all of their free agency and draft addditions haven't been on the o-line or D-line, so in theory wouldn't the rest be complimentry pieces using the op's list.

Gronk and Cooks- not dynamic?

Hill and Kelce?

Thielen and Diggs?

Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara?

Cooper Kupp and Sammy Watkins and Gurley with almost 800 yards?

That's what I don't like about 3D thinking. Both choices are crappy until you find a third option, at least.

Last year resigning our own was the mantra. But this is more than a culture change thing. This is the biggest fork in the road we've faced since Tannehill's contract.

I'd tag and trade Landry to the Browns for their pick (either one) and let Gase get his QB. I don't think we'll be drafting this low again with Tannehill.

Reactions: BSQ
It seems New England invests in complimentry pieces. They haven't need to go after a qb in a decade, and I'm sure all of their free agency and draft addditions haven't been on the o-line or D-line, so in theory wouldn't the rest be complimentry pieces using the op's list.

Why are they investing in Complementary pieces? If you read the post in its entirety then the answer is obvious. BECAUSE they already have the MAIN pieces in place. That's what "complementary" means and suggest.

Gronk and Cooks- not dynamic?

Hill and Kelce?

Thielen and Diggs?

Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara?

Cooper Kupp and Sammy Watkins and Gurley with almost 800 yards?

Sigh...I don't you read the post in its entirety.

Can/have the Patriots make/made the playoffs without Gronk or Cooks contributions? The answer is clearly YES! Why?

I'll challenge you this way...If those teams you mentioned don't have at least decent pieces in place at the QB, OL, DL etc spots. Then what the hell are Hill and Kelce and Thielen and DIggs etc going to do bring a playoff berth to their teams?

Hell, I'll ask you the same question another-way..Weren't all of those players you mentioned above playing for their respective teams years prior? Where were the playoff berths?

Why are they investing in Complementary pieces? If you read the post in its entirety then the answer is obvious. BECAUSE they already have the MAIN pieces in place. That's what "complementary" means and suggest.

Yes but if you need players at multiple positions you don't leave better players on the board just to chase a qb or linemen because they aren't "complimentry" players. I could maybe see saying the focus should be on finding an elite qb and solidify the lines, but I just don't believe in saying you stop investing in outher positions until you fill the trenches and qb.

Back
Top Bottom