Stop investing in Complementary pieces.. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stop investing in Complementary pieces..

Here are what these quarterbacks were considered at the time they won the SB.

Super Bowl 51 --- Tom Brady - Elite
Super Bowl 50 --- Peyton Manning - Not elite
Super Bowl 49 --- Tom Brady - Elite
Super Bowl 48 --- Russell Wilson - Not elite
Super Bowl 47 --- Joe Flacco - Not elite
Super Bowl 46 --- Eli Manning -Not elite
Super Bowl 45 --- Aaron Rogers - Elite
Super Bowl 44 --- Drew Brees - Elite
Super Bowl 43 --- Ben Roethlisberger - Not elite
Super Bowl 42 --- Eli Manning - Not elite
Super Bowl 41 --- Peyton Manning - Elite
Super Bowl 40 --- Ben Roethlisberger - Not elite
Super Bowl 39 --- Tom Brady - Not elite
Super Bowl 38 --- Tom Brady - Not elite
Super Bowl 37 --- Brad Johnson - Not elite

For those keeping score 5 elite, 10 not elite.

Then there is this little fact. No QB has EVER led the league in passing and won the SB in the same year. If Brady wins next week, it will be the first time in the history of the SB. In addition, the three greatest seasons by a QB are Dan Marino - 1984, Manning - 2004, Tom Brady - 2007. None of them won the SB during those seasons. Finally, Both Roethlisberger and Brady won SBs at a higher rate before they became elite (although Brady may break that trend this season).

I would list Russell Wilson with the elite group. I'm a bit on the fence with Eli Manning, but many would consider him elite as well. Most probably. Ben Roethlisberger, the second time around, was certainly elite. So that would make it 9 elite, 5 not elite.

Of course, the determination of elite is a bit subjective.

I would list Russell Wilson with the elite group. I'm a bit on the fence with Eli Manning, but many would consider him elite as well. Most probably. Ben Roethlisberger, the second time around, was certainly elite. So that would make it 9 elite, 5 not elite.

Of course, the determination of elite is a bit subjective.

You have a very low bar for elite. IMO, an elite QB needs to be both highly efficient and highly productive. He also needs to be considered among the top 2 or 3 QBs that season.

If Roethlisberger was elite in 2008, then Ryan Tannehill is better than elite.

281 cmp 469 att 59.9% 3301 yards 17 TDs 15 INTs 7.0 YPA 80.1 QB Rating​

Eli's first SB was in 2007. Up to that point, his career best QB rating was 77.0. His QB rating in 2007 was 73.9. He was very good in 2011 but not elite. Same with Wilson, very efficient but not elite.

Eli Manning has never been elite... His best season he posted a 93.6 rating...

Eli was was pretty good those 2 post seasons that they won it all.

15 TD's, 2 Ints Over 250 yards passer per game and close to 100 passer rating and most of all 8-0 record.

I think the point that is trying to be made is that most of the time you need elite QB play in the post season if you expect to win it all.
That was that case both years the Giants won it. Eli played elite when it mattered most. Last year it was Brady playing the best in the final 2 games. This year Foles and Brady both have over 100 rating in their playoff games. No coincidence they are left playing and the others are all watching.

So to me you need a good QB who can get you to the post season and then play at an elite level when they get you there against the best defenses for 3 to 4 games.

15 TD's, 2 Ints Over 250 yards passer per game and close to 100 passer rating and most of all 8-0 record.

I think the point that is trying to be made is that most of the time you need elite QB play in the post season if you expect to win it all.
That was that case both years the Giants won it. Eli played elite when it mattered most. Last year it was Brady playing the best in the final 2 games. This year Foles and Brady both have over 100 rating in their playoff games. No coincidence they are left playing and the others are all watching.

So to me you need a good QB who can get you to the post season and then play at an elite level when they get you there against the best defenses for 3 to 4 games.

In addition, you need a team that is good in at least a few areas with no giant weaknesses that can be exploited to make the playoffs. That has been Miami's issue. Whether it is terrible coaching, the OL giving up a historic number of sacks, or a defense that cannot stop anyone, they have had giant weaknesses most seasons over the last decade plus.

Tannehill is clearly a good QB with the ability to put up elite games at times. Time to fix the rest of the team.

I agree with this, you, at the very least, need a QB who's capable of going on an elite stretch...

OK, now I'm confused. The need is no longer finding an elite QB? All Miami needs is a QB who's elite "when you get there?" That blows this whole discussion of 'you need an elite QB to win a SB' with someone listing the last 14-15 SB QBs.
I agree with FinFan. A SB team can't be 'bad' in any area, and, overwhelmingly, need a top QB - not elite. Now, we can debate 'top,' but clearly the myth of an elite QB is needed to win a SB must be laid to rest. Not that I'm against getting an elite QB, but I wouldn't make that a top priority.

I agree with this, you, at the very least, need a QB who's capable of going on an elite stretch...

Tannehill has provided a few of these elite stretches. In 2013 he played elite beating Jets, Steelers and Patriots while throwing 8 tds and only 2 Ints. But then he bombed out in Buffalo and against New York. In 2014 he had a nice stretch early but then BA got hurt and offense was never the same. In 2016 was probably his best stretch right before he got hurt. So he is capable. Whether or not he can do it against playoff defenses remains to be seen.

Tannehill has provided a few of these elite stretches. In 2013 he played elite beating Jets, Steelers and Patriots while throwing 8 tds and only 2 Ints. But then he bombed out in Buffalo and against New York. In 2014 he had a nice stretch early but then BA got hurt and offense was never the same. In 2016 was probably his best stretch right before he got hurt. So he is capable. Whether or not he can do it against playoff defenses remains to be seen.

I can tell you that I would be much more worried that our OL would collapse than our QB. Every QB has bad games. I can honestly say that in the 5 years that Tannehill has started, I have had zero confidence that another part of the team could be counted on to pick up the slack on an off day for Tannehill. Not that they never have, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

Here is a list of the playoff teams...

AFC

1. Pittsburgh Steelers (9-2)

2. New England Patriots (9-2)
3. Tennessee Titans (7-4)
4. Kansas City Chiefs (6-5)

5. Jacksonville Jaguars (7-4)
6. Baltimore Ravens (6-5)

NFC
1. Philadelphia Eagles (10-1)

2. Minnesota Vikings (9-2)
3. Los Angeles Rams (8-3)
4. New Orleans Saints (8-3)
5. Carolina Panthers (8-3)
6. Atlanta Falcons (7-4)

What I find interesting is only 3 of those teams have what I would consider a "Dynamic" receiving core (TE + Wide Receivers or Wide Receivers). What I also find interesting is that none of those teams are still in the playoffs or the SB at this time.

Which brings up another question. What does that tell you about those pieces when it comes to making it and advancing in the playoffs?

IMO, it tells you that those are "complementary pieces" and if you make them your priority as an organization you're doomed to either not make the playoffs or not get very far.

So what do the more successful teams have in common?

1) Great QB play
2) Great Trench (OL/DL) play.
3) Note 1+2 are certainly a product of coaching
4) Everything else.

Thus, if my premise is correct then it seems what you need to invest in to have long-term success seems obvious. The things you shouldn't be investing in are equally obvious.

If I'm going to invest 14mil in a position it's not going to be a receiver. It's going to be on a QB, OL, DL, LB, CB FIRST!!!

I'm investing an extra $14 million in the beer stands. Y'all can do what you want.

I can tell you that I would be much more worried that our OL would collapse than our QB. Every QB has bad games. I can honestly say that in the 5 years that Tannehill has started, I have had zero confidence that another part of the team could be counted on to pick up the slack on an off day for Tannehill. Not that they never have, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

Excellent point.

I can't envision a scenario against any opponent in which our OL could play and RT wouldn't.

Ryan Tannehill's most valuable asset is his arm talent, that's what you need to build around. All QB's NEED time, some can do more than other's when they get that time.

No better example than EVERY match up against the Baltimore Ravens for the last 10 years. OL and DL get demolished.

The irony of my last 2 paragraphs.....http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2013/REG/DOLPHINS
Week 5 Tannehill makes an incredible throw on 4th down to 10, we are in FG range with a 1:00 to go and....

Who remembers what happened next?

1st Down - Spiked ball (Joe Philbin in a nutshell). There was zero need to spike it on first down from the 34 with a 1:00 left. Gase knows what play he's running next the second the ball leaves RT's hand.

2nd Down - Complete break down of OL, SACK, 5 yard loss.

3rd Down - Complete break down of OL, almost sack, quick pass, incomplete.

4th Down - Sturgis misses 57 yard FG.

That game still pisses me off.

I hate the Ravens. I like to rant.

Excellent point.

I can't envision a scenario against any opponent in which our OL could play and RT wouldn't.

Ryan Tannehill's most valuable asset is his arm talent, that's what you need to build around. All QB's NEED time, some can do more than other's when they get that time.

No better example than EVERY match up against the Baltimore Ravens for the last 10 years. OL and DL get demolished.

The irony of my last 2 paragraphs.....http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2013/REG/DOLPHINS
Week 5 Tannehill makes an incredible throw on 4th down to 10, we are in FG range with a 1:00 to go and....

Who remembers what happened next?

1st Down - Spiked ball (Joe Philbin in a nutshell). There was zero need to spike it on first down from the 34 with a 1:00 left. Gase knows what play he's running next the second the ball leaves RT's hand.

2nd Down - Complete break down of OL, SACK, 5 yard loss.

3rd Down - Complete break down of OL, almost sack, quick pass, incomplete.

4th Down - Sturgis misses 57 yard FG.

That game still pisses me off.

I hate the Ravens. I like to rant.

I can say with certainty that many would blame Tannehill for the loss.

I can say with certainty that many would blame Tannehill for the loss.

Ya, i couldn't imagine watching sports waiting for something bad to happen so I can say I was right.

Don't be afraid to believe in Ryan Tannehill......He's not just the leader, he's the whole damn franchise.

Nothing is guaranteed to any of us, #17 being no exception having seen his career halted just as it was peaking.

But it's ok

I like to remind people that no one is more pissed off about how the 2017 season unfolded than RT.

My only true knock on him (and not enough to worry about) has been his demeanor and all around nice guy personality. He needed a chip on his shoulder.

I'll never bet against him.

Back
Top Bottom