STRONG possibility for this to be top 11 picks. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

STRONG possibility for this to be top 11 picks.

I just saw ESPNEWS and Mel Kiper has just stated that Brandon Spikes is a guy that is falling in the draft ... i also want to say i had read something earlier in the season about Spikes falling due to his lack of foot speed!!! i saw an article by Wes Bunting of the National Football Post, stated that Spikes was slow footed and that was the same reasons ILB's in last years draft FELL to the 2nd round ... Kiper feels that Spikes could fall to the 3rd-4th round area if he doesn't run well at the combine... i usually don't pay too much attention to ESPN anymore, due to the abundance of draft info i can get online... but, if Kiper is now echoing what some of the experts online are saying about Spikes .... Will this mean Miami be making a HUGE REACH if they do draft Spikes at #12 .... i KNOW, BP is smarter than me and anyone else who's not in the business... and already knows what the others have been saying!! so with this in mind, i THINK BP passes on Spikes in round #1

I'm a little hesitant on Spikes myself, though it's for the opposite reason. In the footage I've seen of him, it looks like he relies a little too much on his athleticism and doesn't do a great job of reading plays or picking up assignments. If he comes to Miami I hope I'm wrong but I see a lot of Crowder in him.

I think a guy like Weatherspoon might be the desired choice for ILB.
I think Dansby is a strong possibility just depends if hte FO is willing to drop 25 mill guaranteed on him.

Ruud, D'Qwell, and Johnson are guys I see them investing $$ on hoping they can revive their careers. (meaning johnson). I'd love Ruud but think D'Qwell has injury issues.

JCane,

Have you ever seen CJ Spiller play? To disqualify him from the top 15 in the draft is just dumb

I've seen him play numerous times. He's right here in my backyard. I seen him up close and personal when Clemson came to Miami last year. He's impressive. He's lightning fast, he's elusive, shifty, has great vision,etc. He's a game changer.

But he's average against real competition. He was damn near invisible against SEC bottom feeder, South Carolina. That's a big rivalry game. You gotta step it up. And I never disqualified him from the top 15. I said it was probable that he slip out of the top 15.

There's good reason for that. Look around the league man. The writing is on the wall. Running backs don't have that long of a shelf life anymore. This isn't the Jim Brown era. The NFL has never been more physical and more violent than it is now. Running backs are taking a pounding. Who are the best backs in this league? Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson....who after that? It's tough isn't it? The running back position is changing drastically. Teams will still need to be able to run the football but it's becoming more situational rather than need. Teams will still need to run the football in short yardage situations and for clock management.

Offenses have never thrown the ball as much as they do now. Look at the wide receiver position around the league. Some teams have three really good ones. You're seeing spread offenses. It's all about scoring quickly. The NFL has even shaped rules to benefit offenses. Changing the 10 yard window in which defenders could bump receivers off the line to a 5 yard window is the SOLE reason Dan Marino's single season touchdown record fell. That record fell the very year the rule was put in place and even that new record was done one better the following year.

This game is changing. Look around. I see it so I'm sure these NFL scouts and general managers see it as well. CJ Spiller is a phenomenal talent but there aren't a lot of teams picking high in the draft that have a truly pressing need at the running back position. I think a very good football team will get lucky and have CJ Spiller fall right into their lap. So when Spiller falls out of the top 10 don't be suprised. And if he falls out of the top 15 don't be surprised either. But I think he very well could go in the 13 to 19 range.

You think so JCane? The draft is a comparative process. One year after Hester explodes unto the scene as a 2nd rounder return extraordinaire, Ginn goes top 10. A year later DeSean Jackson slips to the second round in large part I believe to the Ginn comparison.

With Chris Johnson's enormous success, teams will not wait long to draft Spiller. No way he falls out of the top 15, and heck the Raiders might be willing to gamble yet again on a speed back. It's a copy-cat league and the draft is a hugely comparative process. What player does he remind you of in the pros and what was that players success? A guy like Jake Long gets drafted #1 overall because Parcells and Co. compare him very favorably to Jumbo Elliot. That draft pick was easy. After seeing what Chris Johnson has done to the league the past couple years, coupled with what he did against us (still very productive in that game), I highly doubt Spiller isn't highly thought of with our regime.

The priority number one remains defense, but Spiller and Dez Bryant will get long hard looks. Passing on them may be disastrous considering how much the NFL has turned into a passing league.

What player does he remind you of in the pros and what was that players success? .

C.J. Spiller reminds me a lot of LaDainian Tomlinson. He's a tough smallish running back who can hit the whole quickly, but will also be tackled a lot behind the line. He has a quick change of direction step and burst, and can catch the ball out of the backfield. To me, he is a lot like LaDainian. (LT was drafted 1st round, pick 5, and Spiller's numbers are nowhere near LT in college. His stats and size are more comparable to Chris Johnson.)

Oh yes, having said that, I have little doubt Shanahan takes Spiller at #6. Considering Portis' age and Campbells underrated abilities, Spiller belongs in the zone blocking scheme.

Oh yes, having said that, I have little doubt Shanahan takes Spiller at #6. Considering Portis' age and Campbells underrated abilities, Spiller belongs in the zone blocking scheme.

I do have doubts about the direction Shanahan will take. But I am more optimistic about Spiller going in top 12.

You mean the guy who made a name for himself by turning 6th round picks into 1000 yard guys?

Shanahan likes one cut backs who hit the hole hard. Spiller doesn't fit that MO.

No way CJ Spiller goes top 10. Probably not even top 15.

I wouldn't rule the Crypt Keeper in Oakland out on that one. If Spiller runs as fast as advertised at the combine Davis might fall in love. He has done stranger things.

I wouldn't rule the Crypt Keeper in Oakland out on that one. If Spiller runs as fast as advertised at the combine Davis might fall in love. He has done stranger things.

LOL

I can't say I disagree with this...but they just drafted Darren McFadden not too terribly long ago. JaMarcus Russell is out. They need a QB. Maybe Jimmy Clausen. Maybe Sam Bradford. Wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if the Raiders took that bum Taylor Mays. Mays can bench press a Toyota Hybrid. Al Davis loves that.

LOL

I can't say I disagree with this...but they just drafted Darren McFadden not too terribly long ago. JaMarcus Russell is out. They need a QB. Maybe Jimmy Clausen. Maybe Sam Bradford. Wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if the Raiders took that bum Taylor Mays. Mays can bench press a Toyota Hybrid. Al Davis loves that.
Hey JCane, Hybrids are not that heavy....maybe you and me, on a good day and after a pitcher, could bench press one. Now, if you tell me he could bench press Jamarcus Russel.....:ohno:

Back
Top Bottom