Summary Of Mock Drafts For The Dolphins First Round Pick | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Summary Of Mock Drafts For The Dolphins First Round Pick

I tend to agree.....many possibilities and it is likely Grier will surprise us. My preference is OL, but DT/Edge or WR are all on the table. There is still likely a free agent move or two to help fill in the gaps
It would seem the value at 21 is at oline. Maybe DT Bryan Murphy if he's still there.

All over the map, players and positions. I am still of the mind, if there is a decent veteran guard available at a reasonable price, sign him, and put yourself in a position to go BPA at the draft:

To me, it's all going to come down to availability. OG,LT,DT,WR,TE are all still needs. Does Bowers' lack of participation at combine and pro day plus a light injury history cause him to slip to 15 which is when moving up gets affordable? How many teams gobble up the big OL boys and how fast? This is a dynamite WR draft. Who is remaining in the late teens or at 21? Maybe everyone we yearn for is gone and we move back a couple spots to pick up more picks.

This one is going to be fun.

So many fascinating options! They range the full gambit (from BPA to Nix/Pennix on the other extreme) and Grier is capable of anything. My priority is taking advantage of a talented OL draft (OT/OG/C). But there are so many possibilities that will help our team. So many choices to be made. Get your popcorn ready!
I believe Miami is waiting until after June 1, when more money is available, to get the Tua contract done.

But the fact that it isn't yet does raise speculation heading into the draft.

Although I'm not buying the quarterback pick, it does feel like almost anything is on the table. Offensive line and defensive tackle are the biggest areas of need IMO.

Depth at safety, a tight end to challenge Smith, and possibly a bigger back makes sense.

Pass rusher and corner are always on the table.

First and foremost, a starter. We have holes to fill - C, G, T, DE, DT are the most pressing. Any pic from these 5 spots will be needed to start. If Grier misses with this pick, then he may be in strife.
Agree, except with the Brewer signing I think you can cross center off the list.

Thanks for posting. It was interesting to read a summary of the various mocks.

With QB and WR #1 and #2 “settled” imo, my usual draft philosophy is to spend 1sts on the premium positions in OT, DE, or CB.

If we spend a 1st on an OG, C, DL, or 3rd WR, they better be individually fantastic.

And yes, CB is still huge need imo. Ramsey turns 30 In October and Cam was essentially redshirted by a DC that’s been professionally coaching since McD was in diapers.
Nate Wiggins is in that late 20 range. He rivals Xavier Worthy for fastest player in the draft, posting a sun 4.3.

At 6-1, 170 his body type is similar to Worthy too and the one rub with him is size. Otherwise, he looks like a potential shutdown corner.

T.J. Tampa might be a trade down option. Generally listed as a top 40 prospect, he fits more of a physical mold. I like him.

Lots of talent at the corner position and we know Grier puts a lot iof emphasis there.

If we don't trade down for an extra pick in the 3rd round I could see us trading some of next year's draft capital when we will have 10-11 picks, many of them in the early rounds, for a pick or two in the 3rd round this year. This current draft is supposedly pretty strong in the top 100 or so prospects but drops precipitously after that which is when we have 4 of our 6 picks this year. However we can get that additional top 100 pick, I really think we need a OT to sub for Armstead this year and take over for him next year. If he can play guard backing up Armstead this year all the better. From there either a DT or Edge or both are in play. A 3rd WR makes a lot of sense too but if we sign an OBJ then that is likely off the table. Can address safety/guard/RB likely later in the draft and/or after June 1 when we have some dough.

So assuming we can get to 3 top 100 picks I like OT, DL and Edge or swap Edge for WR if that is where the value is at which is very possible in a deep WR draft. Or Grier may just be throwing a bunch of bodies at DL this year with all the signings there and bypass that and go Edge, OT and then WR. Get an elite Edge first and then OT and WR at two of the deepest position groups in the following 2 rounds.

I would like to see either two trench players and a WR or just all three trench players (again assuming we can get a 3rd pick in the top 3 rounds).

All over the map, players and positions. I am still of the mind, if there is a decent veteran guard available at a reasonable price, sign him, and put yourself in a position to go BPA at the draft:

I don't so much disagree as I do simplify that thought to:

Do whatever is required pre-draft to bring in players who will make selecting the BPA available in each round, at each position an easier choice than aiming for a potential hall of famer at any given position.

Exception:
If a truly "excellent" player for a position of great need is available, compare him to the BPA to see which addition could provide the greatest improvement to the team's performance.

In the end, having the "freedom" to select a BPA over just picking a player to fill a weak spot, yields the best chance to for finding a player at each draft selection who will do the most to improve our team overall.

I tend to agree.....many possibilities and it is likely Grier will surprise us. My preference is OL, but DT/Edge or WR are all on the table. There is still likely a free agent move or two to help fill in the gaps

I agree that we will likely bring on board one or two more players before the draft to make it easier to justify picking a BPA in the draft. This means we will have already selected, and have on hand, a lot of experienced replacements to fill most of our weaker positions.

After the draft there may be even more FA's brought on board. Don't worry about cap space until the team is down to its full roster. Then we will really know where we are at with the cap. I anticipate we will try and keep about 10 million dollars under the cap to allow for injury replacements during the season.

This should be an obvious goal, considering our injuries over the last two years.

Last edited:
It would seem the value at 21 is at oline. Maybe DT Bryan Murphy if he's still there.
I'm not a fan of the DTs at 21, I just don't see the value in this year's class in the high 20's.

There is prob at least one Probowl olinemen on the board at 21 and one of the WRs left may end up being a Hall of famer. This draft is so loaded at WR I could see 4 or 5 guys making it to the HOF from this class. Everyone before the draft wants to talk about the 6 great QB prospects but in 10 years from now we will be talking about the WRs from this class.

Back
Top Bottom