*Super Thread* SunLife Stadium Renovations | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*Super Thread* SunLife Stadium Renovations

Doesn't look like they are going to make the seats slope steeper to have more seats close to the field and to get more noise on top of the field. That was the thing I was looking forward to the most.

View attachment 14467

The last time the Dolphins were actually building a NEW Stadium, 1987 (28 Years ago) the last time the Dolphins won a Playoff game 2001 (14 Years ago) Weak Sauce Dude
San Francisco got a NEW Stadium last year, Levi's Stadium, Atlanta is building a new Stadium, and its amazing and the Georgia Dome opened in 1992, 5 years after Joe Robbie Stadium. Just like the Fins always rebuilding and renovating. No real change...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dVGuo4qqsI

You don't know much do you?

Levi's Stadium was paid for and is owned by Santa Clara (850 Million). 49ers got a loan from the NFL for 200 Million for the remaining cost. 49ers are just tenants.
The Georgia Dome is owned (and was paid for by) the State of Georgia.
The new Atlanta Stadium is funded to over 50% by government (City of Atlanta and State of Georgia). Atlanta's contribution is yet another interest free loan from the NFL and the raping of season ticket holders through PSLs.

Now tell me which owner or team has put out so much more money now?

From my limited civil engineering knowledge the original base structure and foundation is most likely not designed for that type of load distribution hence the pillars to carry the load. I imagine the 'tarp' style roof will weight substantially less than the full dome style as the Cowboys stadium.

You basically limit the design because of the load path taken by the roof to the foundation.

Aerospace engineer here.

Pretty much this, what we are going to have (if the renderings are truly indicative of the final design) are 8 columns shouldering the load (2 in each corner that the stadium), so they will pour a new foundation in those areas to support the added weight. If you had a retractable roof, the entire foundation of the entire stadium would have to be modified to support the weight of the roof as it moves along its track, which would be a hell of an undertaking. It would honestly probably be more cost effective to tear the stadium down if they were going to go that route. This was the most cost effective solution, and it still looks pretty sweet. "New stadiums" while beautiful have so much other crap going on in them, it almost makes you lose interest in the game. I am a project manager for an architect in Ft. Myers and drove down for a Marlins game, and honestly spent more time wandering around, and checking the stadium out than I did actually watching the game. I like the route they are taking with the stadium.

I figured that the stadium would need to be built from the ground up in order to support a roof, but I thought maybe the current foundation was strong enough to support a closed roof, with the opening in the middle, like the rendering shows from the aerial view. Personally, I think the renderings are OK, I just am not a fan of those four huge toothpicks.

Cool video showing the renovations for the stadium. Didn't see it posted.

[video=youtube;dFKEqskcMpI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFKEqskcMpI[/video]

have to say, thats pretty cool

Never got the dumb US mindset of a 20 year old stadium being "old" and needing replaced with a new one.

Old Trafford was originally built in 1910 and its one of the best stadiums in the world, it went from this to this then finally this ... granted the Germans blew it up sometime inbetween

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe how clean they got that concrete...amazing.

I was very much against this, hated the idea of renovating and building a new stadium, but I have to admit, I like the changes.

have to say, thats pretty cool

Never got the dumb US mindset of a 20 year old stadium being "old" and needing replaced with a new one.

Old Trafford was originally built in 1910 and its one of the best stadiums in the world, it went from this to this then finally this ... granted the Germans blew it up sometime inbetween

Especially if people here are still 'missing' the old Orange Bowl. It was build in the 30s, hardly ever updated and was at the end a dump. The Orange Bowl was as loud as any stadium if the game mattered (pro and college football) and as quiet as any stadium if the game did not matter. The Dolphins were lucky that throughout the 70s and 80s they were a good team. Sun Life was rocking in the 90s as well and gave the memories of the Orange Bowl a run for the money. I do believe we had a 10 year run of sell outs at Sun Life (JRS back then).
If you have a decade or more of mediocrity and worse no home stadium is very friendly and inviting for the home team.

I think most of the complaints you hear or read are from people who really don't go to the stadium. In its past for a capacity of 76,000 it was a very small and compact stadium. You are from the UK. Sun Life was actually mirroring an English soccer stadium more than a typical American Football stadium. Joe Robbie was also a huge soccer fan and his dream was that one day a WC game would be played in that stadium. But it never happened.
It was build for three sports mainly: football, soccer and baseball.

The upgrades will do wonders.

Especially if people here are still 'missing' the old Orange Bowl. It was build in the 30s, hardly ever updated and was at the end a dump. The Orange Bowl was as loud as any stadium if the game mattered (pro and college football) and as quiet as any stadium if the game did not matter. The Dolphins were lucky that throughout the 70s and 80s they were a good team. Sun Life was rocking in the 90s as well and gave the memories of the Orange Bowl a run for the money. I do believe we had a 10 year run of sell outs at Sun Life (JRS back then).
If you have a decade or more of mediocrity and worse no home stadium is very friendly and inviting for the home team.

I think most of the complaints you hear or read are from people who really don't go to the stadium. In its past for a capacity of 76,000 it was a very small and compact stadium. You are from the UK. Sun Life was actually mirroring an English soccer stadium more than a typical American Football stadium. Joe Robbie was also a huge soccer fan and his dream was that one day a WC game would be played in that stadium. But it never happened.

I have mentioned this many times but the one time I was at Joe Robbie was the 1998 Jets at Dolphins Sunday Nighter and that Stadium was as loud as any I have ever been in. I think if you guys had the 70s/80s teams playing in this Stadium the crowds would be incredible. It's more about the team on the field than the Stadium itself.

Ive always said its fans not bricks that make an atmosphere. Just check out sunlife in these

[video=youtube;xRE4JgTmLg0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRE4JgTmLg0[/video]

[video=youtube;mXHar03lexY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXHar03lexY[/video]

Just remember how pissed I was when they shot of the fireworks and then we couldn't see across the field because of the smoke.

Also, I love how they said the statue would be a permanent reminder. Ummmm...they have moved the statue like 5 times. Each trip down there I never know where to find JR's statue, Shula's and Marino's. They are constantly on the move.

i was at that retirement game, we beat that Ravens Super Bowl team with that great 2000 Ravens Defense with Jay Fiedler at QB. The tropical storm that night was awful, but the rain pretty much stopped during the halftime ceremony to retire Dan the Mans number 13 Jersey. The rain started pouring again after halftime. We won, was a great trip with my Father from Virginia, ended up with a touch of pneumonia from sitting through the Tropical Storm, but it was all worth it. Go Dolphins.

Back
Top Bottom