Sure Fire Fix For The Offense

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BSQ, Jan 10, 2018 at 9:15 AM.

1. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

Most mocks that I'm seeing have 4 QBs going in the top 10. I've stated that we should get a QB in round 1 for many reasons. If the QB we like is gone I would love to see the FO get as serious about the offense as they were about the defense last year. We can turn this around and turn a weakness into a strength.

Rond 1-Q. Nelson, G, Notre Dame. Finally, a hulking killer at LG, right next to Tunsil. The left side would would be a force. Forget finesse, let's knock people on their *****!
    Round 2-C/G Billy Price, Ohio State- I was begging for Pat Elflien last year but for some reason the FO thought they could win with journey men on the 0-line. That didn;t work out at all. This kid is a plug and play RG and Pouncey's replacement when he's finally finished, with that hip, it could happen any time.
    Round 3- TE-T. Fumagalli, Wis- We need a TE who can move the chains, be a safety blanket for RT, block and be a legit seam threat. I love watching this kid play. I see a Whitten kind of athlete who catches literally everything thrown in his direction. In my book, this is a big piece of what the offense lacked last season. The question is, will he be gone, I hope not, watch the Pats draft the kid!!!!!!!!!!!
    Round 4-N. Chubb-RB, Georgia-a great steal in the 4th imo. This kid is a perfect complimentary back to pair with Drake.
    Round 5-D Goedert-TE, S. Dakota St.-That's right!!!, double up on TE, that's how important the position is, just ask the Pats. 2 star rookie TEs inserted into this line up will be a game changer. We can do all kinds of 2 TE sets etc
    In 6 and 7 get a QB, maybe Jake Browning, he had a big career and finished 6th in the Heisman voting. Maybe Gase could groom this kid into a quality back up or who knows.
    There's a kid on UCLA, LBer Kenny Young, he's a good player on a crummy defense, he has leadership qualities.

So how does all this better our offense? I'm glad you asked.

QB-R Tannehill/ J Browing
    RB-Drake, Chubb, Williams
    WR-Landry, Stills, Parker
    TE-T Fumagalli, D Goedert, Fasano
    LT-Tunsil
    LG-Q. Nelson
    C-Pouncey
    RG-B. Price
    RT-J. James or J. Davis

The improvments on the o-line and TE will make this an offense that is tough to stop on the ground. That means we come out in the 1st quarter and assert dominance from the beginning. We power it with Drake and Chubb and then it's play action time! This team is starving for talent on the o-line and TE. I believe that a draft something like this turns those weaknesses into a strength. I'd trade all our picks for Fumagelli, Nelson and Price, these 3 guys make us a much more potent offense, exciting to watch and hard to stop.

The D is pretty stacked with young talent and some real quality young talent coming back from injury. Let's stock the offense the same way and at the same time, keep RT healthy. Our Coach has mad skills on the offensive side of things. Let's build a potent offense for him. Then let's see how he does as a play caller. I suspect he'll kick **!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018 at 9:24 AM
    Digital and Pandarilla like this.
  2. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Luckily the qb is getting upgraded.

That's too high for Nelson too, He's not as good as DeCastro was and he fell to 24th..OG don't get drafted like that..Also Davis played great at LG..That needs to be his position for the future.

FSU Truth likes this.
  3. FSU Truth

FSU Truth The North Remembers Finheaven VIP

I would argue that Davis was our best lineman at the end of the season. I think whether we go after one or two lineman in the draft will come down to what the team decides with Pouncey. The staff, especially Gase, seems to really like Pouncey so I doubt anything happens with him. I also doubt the team goes G round one unless an option James and Smith are gone and Nelson is still there. The second round seems more likely a place to address the guard position and Price or Mason Cole could be good options.

4. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

I agree about Davis buy I think he'll end up replacing James at RT. Man, they say Nelson is ahead of what Martin was at ND. The main point is let's identify weaknesses and fix them the right way, hopefully for good. Price could help this team and have you seem Troy Fumagalli?

5. Birdmond

Birdmond FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I’m down but I’ll be shocked if Price is on the board when Miami picks and even more shocked if Geodert is still around in the 5th. But conceptually I agree.

BSQ likes this.
  6. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

I'd like to see LB, DE, TE, RB, and S (no order) with the first five picks in the first four rounds.

The OL improved quite a bit down the stretch last season. I'm good with adding a couple of mid tier vets and hoping for progression. Fix the defense. Teams with **** offenses and elite defenses are still playing.

7. Phinatic8u

I'd love Nelson, but I'm not passing on James, Ferrel, Wilkins, or any blue chip defensive player for him..LG is a weakness, but a 2nd rounder can fill that spot.

8. FSU Truth

FSU Truth The North Remembers Finheaven VIP

None of the TE's in the draft really excite me...they all seem like the same average athlete. With that said, I think Miami looks hard at one in the 3rd or 4th depending on value and what is available. We were foolish to pass on a TE in last years draft...Njoku would have been great in this offense and more of an impact player then Harris has been...anyways, in the past.

zach attach and Albert Romano like this.
  9. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Burn the Jolly Roger Moderator Finheaven VIP

10. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I like the ambition of fixing the o-line. Only problem I have is that we need a top-end linebacker with coverage skills and you usually have to find those guys in the top 3 rounds.

Two other TE prospects I like are Mike Gesicki out of Penn State and Hayden Hurst from South Carolina. Gesicki might be one of the best overall athletes in this draft. He'll need some tough coaching to realize his potential, but I fully expect him to kill the Combine. Hayden Hurst is also a big, strong kid. He's had a lot of good blocking reps playing for the Gamecocks, but he's also a dangerous weapon in-line and split out.

Digital likes this.
  11. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

I would love to see us pick up a good LB

12. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

The defense still needs help, and although that would improve the offense, I can’t see a draft like that.

I could see ONE ol maybe (based on what we know from this FO) and thats still a big maybe with the young bodies they have there.

I lean more to improving the defense while taking maybe 2-3 offensive platers- depending who is there obviously.

joenhre and allsilverdreams like this.
  13. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran Finheaven VIP

That draft would do a lot for the offense. I really expect Miami to go defense with that first pick, but if Barkley or Guice are there that might be hard for the team to pass up.

14. TheWozz

TheWozz FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I like the O line getting some help, but I have to go with stud on D if there is a guy rated in same tier. I thought the Oline played decent down the stretch...see what happens with James at RT, but I think a DE, LB or FS upgrade in the first would be the bigger impact.

15. RobertHorry

RobertHorry Scout Team

I would get rid of Landry and get a legit wide receiver to pair with Parker. Landry is Davone Bess on steroids.

kevphin and Awsi Dooger like this.
  16. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

The defense has to face Rodgers, Luck, and Watson on the road in 2018 never mind the divisional opponents. Upgrades are still needed there.

joenhre likes this.
  17. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Sure fire fix for this O? easy:

[​IMG]

Even 1 would do

Pandarilla and superphin like this.
  18. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

if we want a decent qb, starter or backup, stop drafting them in Rd 7. Brady was a once in a lifetime at pick 199

19. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

How about removing Parker and getting a true #1 to play with a #1 slot.

Blake the great likes this.
  20. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

Tannchise, I'm with you but if the guy we want at QB is gone I've proposed a plan B that would help the offense right away. Putting future stars at TE and O-Line is imperative if we really expect to put up points. We face brutal d-lines in the AFC East and we are not matching up. Until we have a powerful o-line we're not going to run on the Bills and they're going to keep sweeping us. We can't even hope to pass by the Patriots if the Bills are sweeping us.

lurking likes this.
  21. eric1317

eric1317 Rookie

Nothing is sure fire in the NFL. We have a habit of boxing ourselves into a corner. Reaching for James, and overpaying for freeagent, our own or other teams. We should go into this offseason with backup plans galore. Having said that I would like to see us pursue safarian Jenkins if relatively cheap. TE’s are weak and usually take a couple years to develop. Take the best players where we draft or trade down to get more picks. Position play should not factor in. If th best player is a guard at 11 take him. This year we should pretend we are doctors and “do no harm”. That means no more bad contracts even if it is for our savior.

22. Phinatic8u

The offenses we're going up against this year require defensive help...

23. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

I am still of the mindset of getting more picks. If we can find a trade partner we move down in the 1st. Then with a 20ish pick we get a DE or LB with the 1st. We can then use the extra picks for the offense get
    our mauler Guard without neglecting the defense. I like the idea of doubling up on offensive line and TE. We need at least 1 more linebacker and DE to hopefully correct some of holes this past year.​

24. Lovethefish

Lovethefish Well-Known Member

I agree with this - please don't mess with jesse Davis- the kid is a converted DT and PSquad player with little experience. He finally found a spot and did it well. Don't assume he can play other positions. Allow him improve at RG and pencil him in

25. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

Sign me up for that right now.

Nelson and Price back to back picks is literally my dream scenario. That combination of players would help as us out at both OG's spots in 2018 and eventually Price is your starting OC. Adding a receiving TE is a need right after that and Fumagalli is certainly an upgrade over what we've had.

I would absolutely go into the draft trying to get 2 interior OL, 2 TE's and 2 OLB's......and 1 RB.

Pandarilla and BSQ like this.
  26. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

We need to address the Guard position in FA. I think we can find a decent TE in free agency too but should also draft one. Rookie TEs don't produce right away usually so we need to being in a veteran.

I would prefer to upgrade the LB and DE position through the draft

27. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Tannehill, 4th highest QBR with a clean pocket (all season, probably even better over his last 8 games)

To me it's a no brainer.. upgrade the OL with FAs and draft picks with a history of durability as not the only priority, but one of the top ones.

tay0365 likes this.
  28. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

I appreciate the thought behind this scenario, but I'm all in on the best defensive talent on the board in round one.

Second round, if there's a plug and play starter that you think has All-Pro future potential there at C or G? Yeah, get him. Cole or Price are very highly regarded, I'm OK with going after one of these players in the second round.

But if Derwin James is on the board at 11 and we draft corn, we're all going to lose our minds here. Honestly, even though I think Roquan Smith showed some deficiencies in the championship game, I'd still much rather have him at 11 than another OL.

Lovethefish likes this.
  29. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

A 30 year old mobile QB coming off a major knee injury. A offensive line that continues to under perform and show up late in the season....

And people still want to be frugal and just put journeyman and late round talent at those positions?

Oh well, maybe this team continues to be ignorant of protecting its aging QB and 2019 will see a new QB, CS and FO. Which at this point I rather have.

But if they smarten up, and actually build a foundation and identity through the draft for a dominant oline...I'm all in. Until then, this fan base deserves the product we've been served since 1999.

30. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

The time is long overdue to bite the bullet and fix the oline via the draft. If we keep getting guys like Ted Larsen there will never be oline dominance. We have to start thinking about pushing the dline back with our power guys, Ted Larsen is depth.

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  31. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Yes that would help the offense but I highly doubt you can get al those guys in those rounds. Nelson might not even make it past 9. Price I've seen on mocks going late first round or early 2nd. But he could still be there at 42 I suppose. Fumagalli could be there at 73 but Goedert is going in the 2nd round at the lastest.
    Chubb should go no later than the 3rd round so it looks nice but wishful thinking imo

Ozzy rules!!

32. Mr. Day

Mr. Day Starter

Billy Price is not making it to the second round. I hope you’re right though.

33. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Yes. Too many exceptions. We butcher the big picture long term upside when we rely on exceptions: "Ju'Waun James may not be ideal first round value but he's a nice player at a position of need so let's take him."

Can't do that. I remember posting at the time that we are losing ground to the league with that type of choice.

Recently we over value our own guys in free agency. That needs to halt. I remember when I flew out to USC I quickly didn't care anymore about Miami girls. The ones out here look okay also.

Danny likes this.
  34. Lovethefish

Lovethefish Well-Known Member

Agree here give me the BPA, now that mean Nelson depending on the board, but I have 4-5 definite defenders before O Brownor Q Nelson.

35. Cutthroat

Cutthroat Scout Team

Browning is a junior and given he is likely a low pick, probably coming back for his senior year.

36. phinfan40353

phinfan40353 Scout Team

They've been doing that for the past couple of decades.

Time to put a 1st or 2nd in the OG column. I'm tired of the OL crippling this team.

37. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

The offense is what killed the Dolphins last season. We all know RT went down but even with the return of RT the interior of the o-line needs new parts that can match up with the AFC East. Ted Larsen should be first guy off the bench, not the starter. The Tight End position is killing the Dolphins. We never have a TE worth a crap and we're facing Gronk, Whitten and all the great TEs on other teams. FIND A STUD TE and FIND SOMEONE THAT CAN COVER THE OTHER TEAMS TE. Until we repair the o-line with guys that can play and find a TE we will continue to go backwards.

38. MiamiDolfan85

MiamiDolfan85 DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

I'd take Brown over Smith...exactly what this line needs. A big lineman who can actually move ppl.

39. MiamiDolfan85

MiamiDolfan85 DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

Your not wrong, cause if he does I don't think he'll make it out the top 10 picks in the second anyway. Good linemen are always taken higher. Always.

40. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

I also was begging for elflein last year and I also really want billy price. Sadly I think elflein was the better prospect but I'm no O-line expert.