Sydney Rice: Potential UFA and WR Upgrade | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sydney Rice: Potential UFA and WR Upgrade

I'd love to have him, but like everybody else has been saying that's alot of money for 1 position.

I'd truly rather have Aso than Rice, just for the mere fact of pure dominace.

Regardless of his speed, he is a great receiver. That'd be sick to have him here

Yes it would be a hard fit but if I recall when the salary cap number came out for what they would have been last year I think we were somthing like $25 million under so it can be done.

Signing Rice would also cost about as much as it would to sign one of the top FA linemen, so it's basically a pick your poision kind of signing. Signing Rice would just alter our drafting strategy a bit. Instead of having to draft a WR early we could address different offensive needs which are o-line, RB and TE. My thinking is that if we trade down and acquire a 2nd rounder, w/ Sparano's back round being offensive line he could definitely turn a late 1st or early 2nd round selection into a quality linemen. I know it didn't work out well this year as they tried to use second rate players up front but getting more talented players to coach via the draft would help. Plus we wouldn't have to wait for a drafted WR to develop, which in many cases can take 2-3 years. However, lots of o-linemen are drafted every year that are plugged into starting lineups and are definite upgrades. We could then use the 2nd rounder to draft a RB and the 3rd or 4th a TE who can stretch the middle of the filed opposite of Fasano.

I know this wouldn't fix the QB position, but it might be enough to help Henne overcome his deficiencies. Plus I'm not exactly 100% sure there is a franchise QB in this draft that I would be willing to take the risk of moving up for.

Sidney would also cost pretty close to a top Running back so instead of taking a RB or OL in free agency take them in draft and get Sidney in FA

Clearly there will be a salary cap in place when the CBA is resolved and may be less than it was last year. If Miami drafts Ingram and OL then Rice may be an option to go after. If Miami drafts, say Newton with 1st round pick then may be wiser to go after D. Williams in free agency.

If no salary cap, I say sign him. Not my money, but is my favorite team. He clearly would upgrade the WR unit.

This isn't Madden folks. There is a salary cap. We can't invest that much money into the WR postion. If we're going to spend that kind of money let's get a position we need.

I would like to have him for sure but and he is a good deep threat even though hes not ginn fast.

He was hurt most of last season and only played in 6 games. He was never anything before Favre got there.

But his breakout year he had 1,312 yards, a 15.8 ypc average and 8 TDs.

Rice is pretty much an elite "Air it out to and trust me WR" - Favre always gave his receivers a chance and Sidney made plays.

Marshall is also this type of receiver, in fact I believe Sidney is faster. The issue is what Henning, David Lee, and Pennington have done to Henne. He does not trust his WRs. Hopefully Daboll and former WR converted QB coach Karl Dorrell will install this "Trust your WR" method. It seems to work when you have good WRs like marshall and bess. If Henne does not improve on this, picking up Rice would be a waste. (Assuming Henne is our QB) (an Orton-Rice-Marshall-Bess combo would be lethal though)

I would take a shot at Jackson if you read how Marshall contract is written we are not really on the hook for that much money. The highest paid is tied up in the fine print. I think the tag on Jackson is to scare off low ball offers. What better weapon could we get with a first and probably a little more than Jackson. He has issues but so does Ricky, Ronnie, Brandon, and anybody else.

I would like to have him for sure but and he is a good deep threat even though hes not ginn fast.

He was hurt most of last season and only played in 6 games. He was never anything before Favre got there.

But his breakout year he had 1,312 yards, a 15.8 ypc average and 8 TDs.

Rice is pretty much an elite "Air it out to and trust me WR" - Favre always gave his receivers a chance and Sidney made plays.

Marshall is also this type of receiver, in fact I believe Sidney is faster. The issue is what Henning, David Lee, and Pennington have done to Henne. He does not trust his WRs. Hopefully Daboll and former WR converted QB coach Karl Dorrell will install this "Trust your WR" method. It seems to work when you have good WRs like marshall and bess. If Henne does not improve on this, picking up Rice would be a waste. (Assuming Henne is our QB) (an Orton-Rice-Marshall-Bess combo would be lethal though)
I can see Dorrell installing it since he was a reciever coach and supposeably we are running the pats offense and they take shots and its risky

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

I would take a shot at Jackson if you read how Marshall contract is written we are not really on the hook for that much money. The highest paid is tied up in the fine print. I think the tag on Jackson is to scare off low ball offers. What better weapon could we get with a first and probably a little more than Jackson. He has issues but so does Ricky, Ronnie, Brandon, and anybody else.

Rice will be cheaper imo and I think is better

Yes please, he's proved all he needs is a good QB to throw to him and he can do the rest! Watching him in
09 was awesome!

Bring Sidney Rice to Miami

There will be much more of these so why not I start it off and give my reasons...

First thing first is yes he will cost alot of money but so will a top RB and O-Line.
Second thing is it would be smart to go for a proven WR that is in a pass first league
Third thing is yes I know we dont got a QB and Henne will probably be there next year but the new O-Corrdinator is supposed to install a Patriot offense and should let Henne take few more shots down field and actually let Henne throw some balls for the Recievers to go after since Marshall is that type reciever and Rice is also...(If Henne dont work out then next year draft is supposed to be a good QB class)

So basically I say we sign Rice... I also have a mock to show you that it can work!!!

Resign/Extensions-

Cam Wake OLB
Paul Solai NT
Tony McDaniel DE
Patrick Cobbs KR

Sign-

Sidney Rice WR Vikings
Ryan Kalil C Panthers

Yes I know its 2 BIG free agents but it is possible.

Draft-

Trade down and pick up a extra second

1st Round- Mike Pouncey OG Florida
2nd Round-Kendall Hunter RB Oklahoma State.
3rd Round- Lance Kendricks TE Wisconsin
4th Round- Bilal Powell RB Louisville
5th Round- Casey Mathews LB Oregon
6th Round- T.J. Yates QB North Carolina
7th Round- Mario Butler CB Georgia Tech
7th Round- Mike Berry OG/OT Auburn

Starters

QB-Henne
FB-Polite
RB-Hunter
WR-Marshall
WR-Bess
WR-Rice
TE-Kendricks
LT-Long
LG-Pouncey
C-Kalil
RG-Jerry
RT-Carey

DE-Starks/Odrick
NT-Solai/Starks
DE-Langford/McDaniels
OLB-Misi
OLB-Wake
ILB-Dansby
ILB-Crowder
SS-Bell
FS-Clemons
CB-Davis
CB-Smith

That lineup is amazing and IMO we could be contendors... Thats just proof that we can go and get Rice and have a monster team.

It would but if we get him then I dont think we need to get much more in the FA... For Example
Sign Sidney and Kalil

Then Draft-
1st-Ingram RB
3rd-Moffitt OG
4th-Powell RB
5th-Mathews LB
6th-Tackle
7th-Corner
7th-Depth

Then resign/extensions
Cam Wake
Solai
McDaniel

That would be a very good lineup.. We just need henne to work hard and give him one more shot and if he cant do it then next year the draft should be good for QB and get one then...

Yep ignore the elephant in the room... I mean it's a good thing we are set at QB. O wait...

Back
Top Bottom