T.J. McDonald signs 4 year extension | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

T.J. McDonald signs 4 year extension

I raised holy hell in the other TJ McDonald thread about this very subject. I'm glad the team protected themselves against anymore shenanigans. But $24m total kinda lit my fuse. Tannenbaum at his best.
Thank the stars you raised hell or the FO might have gotten taken for a ride huh?

Oh but now your fuse is lit due to the peanuts contract they've given him? The Dolphins are protected 360 degrees and if TJ returns to form; they've doused your lit fuse with Niagara falls type return on their investment.

Seems like most people have an issue with the timing of this deal; but to me the timing is the smartest part. TJ has been a good player throughout his career, with his suspension looming his value is at an all time low, that's why the Phins were able to sign him to such a low contract this year.

Now that we've had him in the building through the offseason and preseason, the Dolphins obviously liked what they saw and choose to sign him while his value is still low before he comes back and reminds the league what type of player he is.

Also, with TJ about to miss two months worth of game checks he was probably going to value getting a bit of quick cash more than he would at any other time. The Dolphins would have never had more leverage than they did right now, smart move.

Why not? Everyone on here bitched when the team wasn't proactive with contacts for Olivier Vernon and Lamar Miller. Now the team does something proactive for a really good young player in McDonald and get him at a really good price and people are still unhappy.

Vernon and MIller were not only very productive players for us but were also our very own draft picks.

McDonald was already signed and has yet to play a meaningful down. There should have been no rush to sign him to an extension when better and longer tenured players, like Landry, are far more well deserving of such an offer.

Vernon and MIller were not only very productive players for us but were also our very own draft picks.

McDonald was already signed and has yet to play a meaningful down. There should have been no rush to sign him to an extension when better and longer tenured players, like Landry, are far more well deserving of such an offer.

I really liked Vernon, but NY threw A BUNCH of money at him, would be tough for the cap to have the highest paid DL and DE on the same squad. Vernon makes more than our two starting DEs combined.

Miller was a nice player, but nothing special, I'm much happier to have Ajayi as our lead back.

As I said above, our coaches/FO guys got to see TJ up close for a few months and must of liked what they were seeing, once TJ comes back from suspension and starts making plays his price tag only goes up.

$6 mil a year for a player suspended 8 games. He probably would've initially signed for like a 3 and 6 deal. I like the player and the possibilities he brings to the defense (which are yet to be seen) but there was zero rush with this ... and it's hardly a bargain.

Where did you see the salary structure? Besides the 10 being guaranteed we have no idea....

Whats the cap looking like for next year?

Cap will be fine, Tanne alone is 2.3 prorated with base of 17 for a cap number of 19+mil easy to play with there for 6-8 mil Maxwell saves 10 mil Thomas is slated at 6.5 base. 3 players alone re worked is 15 mil plus not including cuts etc. (Juawan James is based at 9.3 mil next year also, can re work into signing bonus guaranteed into a 4 year deal)

I will also add, just glancing for a couple minutes at the contracts Miami has enough Money with some moves to sign Landry to 13-14 and still have room in free agency. My best guess is Landry will take more guaranteed then actual paper money which no one cares. I bet we see a 5-6 year deal with something like 40 guaranteed. That's guaranteed money not some 100 million dollar Kap contract fluff.

We should fill our roster w suspended guys. They come back fresh as a daisy weeks 6-8. Could be a new paradigm in the works.

looks like your 6 per doll...

Yeah, especially with the protections for suspension built into the contract, this is a good price for a big, fast Safety, who can cover. I agree with people calling for a true FS, but in addition to playing SS or interchangeable S in a 2-deep, he can provide an upgrade to Michael Thomas as a big Nickel. So, even if you add a stud FS, which I'd love, I don't think it should be hard to get McDonald on the field.

Last edited:
I trust in the FO these days. Over the last few years they've brought and kept a lot of talent in this team including HC. If Gase and Co like McDonald over ther next few years so be it.

Only $10M GTD? Now these are the types of deals we should be giving. This is a worthwhile gamble, and if McDonald plays to his previous levels, he automatically is worth more than this deal. Took a gamble, but a smart one.

I'd imagine he'd be used in a Deone Buccannon role in our defense where he's a "jack" type S/LB. I like it.
Exactly.....I was the first to admit that it was risky to sign him to a long term deal, but with only 10 mil GTD I think it is worth it. Not a bad deal by the Phins locking up a great player long term.

Back
Top Bottom