T.J. McDonald signs 4 year extension | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

T.J. McDonald signs 4 year extension

Vernon and MIller were not only very productive players for us but were also our very own draft picks.

McDonald was already signed and has yet to play a meaningful down. There should have been no rush to sign him to an extension when better and longer tenured players, like Landry, are far more well deserving of such an offer.

Maybe, but they sure made the right call on Miller and Vernon hadn't done enough, in my opinion, to merit the type of contract he signed with New York.

Itˋs this the Jabril Peppers that many of us wanted in the firts round of the Draft?

Maybe, but they sure made the right call on Miller and Vernon hadn't done enough, in my opinion, to merit the type of contract he signed with New York.

I wouldn't have paid Vernon that kind of contract that the Giants did either, but as our own draft pick I would have preferred us to be proactive and offer an extension the year before he hit FA. And we didn't do that.

How did we not make the right call on Miller? Is there now a rule that states a team isn't allowed to have two good complimentary RBs?

I wouldn't have paid Vernon that kind of contract that the Giants did either, but as our own draft pick I would have preferred us to be proactive and offer an extension the year before he hit FA. And we didn't do that.

How did we not make the right call on Miller? Is there now a rule that states a team isn't allowed to have two good complimentary RBs?

If I remember correctly we placed the transition tag on Vernon and then we removed it, he would of made 12 million on that tag.

Lamar Miller isn't now or previously with us, anything special. Total agreement that Giants over paid Vernon and we could have gotten him cheaper if they worked the previous year. But such is life. Do you think the Giants feel like they got their money's worth with Vernon last year?

Once you guys see him demolish the crosser a few times you will forget all about the money and be glad he's on our side. Dude is a beast for sure

Lamar Miller isn't now or previously with us, anything special. Total agreement that Giants over paid Vernon and we could have gotten him cheaper if they worked the previous year. But such is life. Do you think the Giants feel like they got their money's worth with Vernon last year?

I'm nor sure what your definition of special is, but Miller is a top 10 all around RB; easily.

As much as we got our money's worth in overpaying Suh. The Giants overpaid b/c of FA but Vernon was excellent last year in pass rush.

Last edited:

I don't think the fact that he was our draft really matters THAT much. Whether we got him off a FA deal or draft or picked him up off a waiver wire, putting EXTRA effort to "keep your own" if you're not getting a home town discount is fruitless.

Now, I think anyone can say what you said in the bold in hindsight. Coming into that season, he was coming off a pretty mediocre year and they did try and extend him, with he/his agent proclaiming he wanted well over $10mil/year. Coming into that season, EVERY SINGLE PERSON thought that was ludicrous. That extension would look good now, sure, but it would have been a SUPER LUCKY gamble more than anything and not a sound business decision.

I wonder how Roger Goodell feels about this lol. He doesn't get this contract if he's not suspended. He's supposed to be punished for his DUI and yet?LOL

This is a great deal. Win win for both player and team.

Firstly, we play 2 interchangeable safeties, so they both need to be thumpers and center fielders. We're going to absolutely demolish those small New England receivers ... just buy the stretchers in bulk, OK?

Secondly, since he gets a big pay check this season, and since it's a large (largest) paycheck for someone on suspension, it's a win for McDonald. But, at $6M per year for a top echelon safety in his prime, motivated and locked in, that's a great deal for the Dolphins.

Thirdly, I predicted this. (pats self on the back like a llama). We made a great move bringing him in on a show-me contract. We got a great player at a very low price AND I'm confident we also were able to build into the contract Team Outs for bad behavior. That's like a dream come true to a GM. He gets a great player who is happy with a contract that is great for the team, and if something happens the GM has an escape hatch.

Fourthly, Gase once again creates a real incentive to agents to bring their talented clients to the Dolphins for a cheap "show-me" contract, creating even more possible good deals down the road. This is the stuff that the Patriots usually do, not us. I'm soooooooooooo happy Gase has this team doing this kind of stuff, because it's smart moves like this that help us catch up.

Fifthly, the dude is healthy and in his prime. This is the ideal age to sign him to a contract. He is big and physical and creates havoc for offenses.

Sixthly, the front and back ends work together, so our heavy investment along the DL in Suh and Wake (mostly in Suh), will help McDonald not have to cover for too long on most plays. His strength is in run defense, which is our weakness, so that's great. But, his weakness is pass coverage and playing the FS role of center fielder, but our pass rush will lessen how long he needs to do that per play. Great synergy, and something that has helped Reshad Jones be the player he is.

Seventhly, which I had to reach only because of how absurd that number sounds, he is almost guaranteed to be healthy and fresh for the 2nd half of the season, and we've shown that we get a lot of injuries in our secondary during the 2nd half of the season. Our playoff game against Pittsburgh was without Reshad Jones, IAQ, Byron Maxwell, Xavien Howard, and I think a substitute safety or two were missing as well. So, I'm not overlooking the fact that the money games are played at the end of the season. But mostly I just wanted to say Seventhly. :biggrin

Seems like most people have an issue with the timing of this deal; but to me the timing is the smartest part. TJ has been a good player throughout his career, with his suspension looming his value is at an all time low, that's why the Phins were able to sign him to such a low contract this year.

Now that we've had him in the building through the offseason and preseason, the Dolphins obviously liked what they saw and choose to sign him while his value is still low before he comes back and reminds the league what type of player he is.

Also, with TJ about to miss two months worth of game checks he was probably going to value getting a bit of quick cash more than he would at any other time. The Dolphins would have never had more leverage than they did right now, smart move.
I wholeheartedly agree.

As long as he concentrates on the opposition and not giving concussion shots to his own team mates im ok with it.

I don't think the fact that he was our draft really matters THAT much. Whether we got him off a FA deal or draft or picked him up off a waiver wire, putting EXTRA effort to "keep your own" if you're not getting a home town discount is fruitless.

Now, I think anyone can say what you said in the bold in hindsight. Coming into that season, he was coming off a pretty mediocre year and they did try and extend him, with he/his agent proclaiming he wanted well over $10mil/year. Coming into that season, EVERY SINGLE PERSON thought that was ludicrous. That extension would look good now, sure, but it would have been a SUPER LUCKY gamble more than anything and not a sound business decision.

How do you build a great team? Hit on and retain your draft picks. It matters that much.

I see validity in your other point, but I don't agree. I'll never understand fans getting so worked up about how much these players get paid. Cap rises annually with the market.

I'll concede some of my negativity over the McDonald extension. If I slam the FO for not being proactive in signings, then I can't dish out criticism here if they really see something in him.

Back
Top Bottom