Tackles in the Draft?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by SkapePhin, Oct 25, 2013.

1. SkapePhin

SkapePhin Rump Shaker Finheaven VIP Donator

Who are the best tackles in the upcoming draft?

In a twist of fate, it appears that dolphins fans will actually want highly drafted cornfed lineman after so many years of mocking taking tackles high...

2. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

There are a bunch that have been mocked in the 1st rd.

Jake Matthews
    Taylor Lewan
    Cyrus Kouandjio
    Antonio Richardson
    Cameron Erving
    James Hurst
    Corey Robinson
    Cyril Richardson (some have him at G)

3. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I love Matthews. He is elite IMO and probably goes top 5 depending on the quarterbacks. I like Lewan, enough to trade up slightly for him if he slides close to Miami's spot. But, I think his best position is RT. Similar to Jake Long, but not as good. I would difer to Slimm on Kouandjio. From what I've seen, he looks more like a guard. Seems a little sluggish getting into pass protection. Antonio Richardson is a RT IMO. Hurst is a little under the radar, but I'm not sure if he's physical enough.

4. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Lewan is Jakke Long part II...and I don't mean that in a bad way. I like him.

5. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

I like Lewan. And he wouldn't cost us anywhere near what Jake Long got.

He could solve some of our problems imo

6. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP

Eh, I don't. I wouldn't lose any sleep if we did choose cornfed, but I would much rather use it on a playmaker. Of course, it all depends on who is available when we pick.

7. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

I'm watching UM and MSU go at it. I'd love Lewan in the draft. Guy has skills and a nasty streak.

8. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

We might set a league record for sacks yet people are asking for "playmakers". Smh

9. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP

:bobdole: Probably because not all of us panic just because a FA signing played WAY below what anybody expected and a 2nd year player (who you were probably happy we used a high pick on) apparently had mental issues. What's funny is that despite the sacks, we're still playing far better than we did for the vast majority of the time Capt. Cornfed was here. Why? Playmakers. I'll take more of those please!

10. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

Kouandjio just isn't the dominant player that Andre Smith or Chris Samuels were at left tackle for Alabama. That's just the facts. But those two were top 10 picks.

Kouandjio is a better prospect than James Carpenter was, but not in a category with Smith or Samuels. He's probably a right tackle in the NFL, or perhaps a guard as a last resort. I think he's good enough to stay at tackle.

I think Taylor Lewan is an excellent player. He's right there with Jake Matthews in my opinion.

11. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

Lewan is a bit more athletic than Jake was coming out of Michigan. His issue is that he has a short fuse and can get baited by defenses into bad situations (see Michigan State game this weekend)

12. TedSlimmJr

Lewan always seems to get cranked up in big games....especially the rivalry game against Michigan St. Him and William Gholston were essentially like watching a street fight last year. However, scouts will view Lewan's intensity as a positive in some situations.

It's the durability and penalties in big games that are my only knocks on him. He struggled a lot with penalties against Alabama and left the game with an injury.

Michigan is using him a lot this year on the right side in unbalanced formations. He looks good, real good. I like his aggressiveness, just needs to keep his technique.

13. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

Basically Michigan's OL outside of Lewan and Schofield sucks.... a bunch of RS or true Frosh and sophomores. 9 different guys have started for us.

14. SF Dolphin Fan

Kouandijio does have that one armed whip move which is pretty impressive. I agree probably RT for him. If Miami takes a player from Alabama in the 1st, I hope it's CJ Mosley. Love that guy as a player.

15. Sirspud

Sirspud Pro Bowler

I agree to some extent but bear in mind that we are scarcely getting the most out of the playmakers we have because we can't set up any plays that require the line to do anything resembling real blocking. Mike Wallace has scarcely gotten the chance to get deep this year because even as quickly as he gets there the QB is still on his back by that time.

The best strategy, which really isn't a strategy at all, is to actually hit out on our midrounders, and thus not have to wait for our first round picks every year to actually pick up talent. Getting a Calvin Johnson/Dez Bryant type is great in the first round, but you can make do with a guy like Randall Cobb later on.

16. SF Dolphin Fan

This is an excellent point. Jeff Ireland badly misjudged the offensive tackles on this team, which has hurt Tannehill and Wallace. The best weapon in the deep game is essentially stuck running shorter patterns simply because the qb doesn't have time to throw.

17. SMadison29

SMadison29 What Sherman aspires to be

Don't let Walter influence you too much. Neither one of these guys are first rounders.

18. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

Just making a list. I'm sure Miami will consider O Line in each of the first 3 rounds. Part of me would love to see us get wr Evans from A&M though.

19. Patrick_Bateman

Patrick_Bateman Rookie

Very true :lol:

20. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

Agreed. Love Mosley. Like his all around skills, motor, smarts, leadership, everything. Even has good hips that could translate well to coverage.

At some point it would be great to get a high end linebacker. The problem is Miami has so many needs.

21. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

At this point the only real needs are on the o line. Every other spot could stand to add depth but have starters, especially if the 2 rook cb start working in.

22. PhinSoldia

PhinSoldia Miami Dolphin Columnist in the Making

so as a Tide fan you wouldn't suggest going Kouandjio? because i think Lewan and Matthews are top ten then we are looking at Kouandjio Richardsson and Erving in the 10-20 range

23. TedSlimmJr

I probably wouldn't take Kouandjio with a top 20 pick. I think he'd be a decent pick after that.

Honestly, and this is difficult to say as a Bama guy... I believe Auburn's redshirt sophomore left tackle Greg Robinson is a better prospect. This kid is the key to Auburn's resurrected offense. Dominant in the run game and in pass protection despite his lack of a significant body of work due to his youth.

I think both he and Kouandjio could play tackle and/or guard, and have similar freakish athleticism. Although Robinson dominates, where Kouandjio has merely been solid.

24. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

with limited knowledge, this is the guy I like so far, and is doable to draft where we will be.

25. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

I love Mattews as well...And if he's half the lineman his dad was, who I consider one of the greatest
    offensive linemen in the history of the game, he'll do alright.

26. cullenbigcstill

cullenbigcstill FinHeaven VIP

Not sure I agree with this line of thinking that the only needs are on the O line, although I do agree that the line does NEED to be addressed. While our line will need to be remade, you are not going to solely do it in the draft IMO, it will be a collection of keeping a few leftovers, a FA or 2 and a couple picks in the draft. Too many needs and upgrades are needed on this roster to push for playoff supremacy!

OLB, S are two very important NEEDS for the defense, we lack instincts and playmaking froms those positions.

Theres some physical and athletic receivers in the first round this year which would give us the ideal weaponry for our developing quarterback. I also like the idea of looking at Ebron at TE, I see a special player there who can hold his own as a blocker as a rookie and produce day one vice being red-shirted ala Egnew and Sims.

Hey what do you guys think of WR Allen Hurns from the U? He is lanky at 6'3" probably 185 or so shows very good awareness as a route runner, displays decent speed and even has the ability to stretch the field occasionally. IMO he would be a fourth round prospect who could become a solid receiver. He looks athletic, aware, shows good hands and runs possession type routes very well, which would seem to be a good #2 future prospect.

27. FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard FearTheBurke

28. finfan54

I think the depth in this draft is good for Tackle's based on what I am seeing so far. I think its possible we could resign Mckinney, get a stud TE first, and then T/G. Some Good G's might fall to 2nd round where we pick.

Any thoughts on Steen Slim?

I read he rarely makes mistakes and seems reall solid in that supposed ZBS in Bama.

29. TedSlimmJr

Steen is a solid player, especially in pass protection. He didn't allow a single sack last year. He's not a dominant force in the run game, but he gets the job done with outstanding quickness, power, and intelligence. There's nothing extremely special about him as a prospect, he's just one of those underrated guys that stay in the lineup and rarely ever makes a mistake. Ever. He consistently grades out as the best lineman on the team because he never misses an assignment.

Has the ability to start at the next level. I'd take him in the 3rd/4th round... can also play center.

30. finfan54

nice! he's definitely on my radar.

31. FearTheBeard

A couple more OT's to consider:
    Greg Robinson, Auburn (underclassman)
    Morgan Moses, Virginia
    Cedric Ogbuehi, Texas A&M (underclassman)
    Cornelius Lucas, Kansas State

Those guys are more late 1st-2nd round consideration tho, but if we went TE in the first some may be available. I think if Robinson declares he'll climb into the top 15.

32. silverfin

silverfin FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Erving from FSU is a great fit.

Small school player to keep an eye on also is NDSU OT Billy Turner. Projects to be more a day three guy at the moment but I think he'll do very well at the combine and could end up being picked on day two. At least, IMO.

33. FearTheBeard

Ya I referenced turner as a guy who's being overlooked, big fan. Definitely gonna do some more research on Erving cause he's a very realistic option.

34. PCmor

PCmor Continuity

Lewan's a player, but I'm not high on him because of character concerns.

35. TruePoizon

TruePoizon Well-Known Member

no question about it. We have our franchise QB, unless we want him ending up like David Carr, we must get him protected. Carr was sacked 50+ times and now is out of the NFL, but being tried out by the Cowboys. Yes we need some playmakers, but with Gibson coming back I think our WR corps is just fine. We need to protect Tannehill, and we need the OL to do it. Definitely gotta draft an OT and OG pretty early in this draft unless we make a move for Albert or the OG from the Saints.

36. Dmarino110

Dmarino110 Starter

just think how this offense would look if we still had reggie and keller didnt get hurt :)

yeah i want to fix the line and I think we need a 1st round lineman, but i would still be looking for a trade or FA (once again I dont think we need to pay any OLineman more than 5 mil...), I think we need to know what kind of olineman we want...do we want road graters or do we want faster athletic linemen that can pull and "zone block"...I also think we need to move pouncy to guard where his pulling ability would be maximized and we could get an actual center who doesnt have to look before he snaps the ball.

The biggest thing we need to figure out is what do we want the line to look and act like...

37. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

James Hurst of UNC had a serious leg injury in his bowl game. He broke his leg. Tough news for the kid who's run up to the draft will be ruined. Plus teams will likely be scared of the effect on him. Hurst was a 5 star recruit out of the Indianapolis area who had offers from all over and went to Carolina. He started all along, beginning as a freshman for the Tar Heels.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-updates-on-north-carolina-ots-leg-and-return

38. Canadi-Phin

Canadi-Phin I hate everyone else in the AFC East

Would be a great guy to grab in the 5-7 rounds, if he falls that far over injury. Nice player.

39. MacGruber1

MacGruber1 Disgusted Nationals Fan

Jeff Ireland draft a stud mismatch TE? Surely you jest......

40. finfan54

if he wants to keep his job. I dont jest. And if his QB wants a TE, he should think about getting one.

41. TedSlimmJr

Anyone that watched the Sugar Bowl tonight should be able to see why I say that I wouldn't take Kouandjio with a top 20 pick, and why I believe Auburn's Greg Robinson is a better player.

Kouandjio looked a lot more like a 3-Star frosh tonight than a 1st round pick. He's not ready for the NFL.

42. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

Oklahoma was making a fool of that entire line.