Tackles in the Draft? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tackles in the Draft?

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Who are the best tackles in the upcoming draft?

In a twist of fate, it appears that dolphins fans will actually want highly drafted cornfed lineman after so many years of mocking taking tackles high...

There are a bunch that have been mocked in the 1st rd.

Jake Matthews
Taylor Lewan
Cyrus Kouandjio
Antonio Richardson
Cameron Erving
James Hurst
Corey Robinson
Cyril Richardson (some have him at G)

I love Matthews. He is elite IMO and probably goes top 5 depending on the quarterbacks. I like Lewan, enough to trade up slightly for him if he slides close to Miami's spot. But, I think his best position is RT. Similar to Jake Long, but not as good. I would difer to Slimm on Kouandjio. From what I've seen, he looks more like a guard. Seems a little sluggish getting into pass protection. Antonio Richardson is a RT IMO. Hurst is a little under the radar, but I'm not sure if he's physical enough.

Lewan is Jakke Long part II...and I don't mean that in a bad way. I like him.

I like Lewan. And he wouldn't cost us anywhere near what Jake Long got.

He could solve some of our problems imo

Who are the best tackles in the upcoming draft?

In a twist of fate, it appears that dolphins fans will actually want highly drafted cornfed lineman after so many years of mocking taking tackles high...

Eh, I don't. I wouldn't lose any sleep if we did choose cornfed, but I would much rather use it on a playmaker. Of course, it all depends on who is available when we pick.

I'm watching UM and MSU go at it. I'd love Lewan in the draft. Guy has skills and a nasty streak.

We might set a league record for sacks yet people are asking for "playmakers". Smh

We might set a league record for sacks yet people are asking for "playmakers". Smh

:bobdole: Probably because not all of us panic just because a FA signing played WAY below what anybody expected and a 2nd year player (who you were probably happy we used a high pick on) apparently had mental issues. What's funny is that despite the sacks, we're still playing far better than we did for the vast majority of the time Capt. Cornfed was here. Why? Playmakers. I'll take more of those please!

I love Matthews. He is elite IMO and probably goes top 5 depending on the quarterbacks. I like Lewan, enough to trade up slightly for him if he slides close to Miami's spot. But, I think his best position is RT. Similar to Jake Long, but not as good. I would difer to Slimm on Kouandjio. From what I've seen, he looks more like a guard. Seems a little sluggish getting into pass protection. Antonio Richardson is a RT IMO. Hurst is a little under the radar, but I'm not sure if he's physical enough.

Kouandjio just isn't the dominant player that Andre Smith or Chris Samuels were at left tackle for Alabama. That's just the facts. But those two were top 10 picks.

Kouandjio is a better prospect than James Carpenter was, but not in a category with Smith or Samuels. He's probably a right tackle in the NFL, or perhaps a guard as a last resort. I think he's good enough to stay at tackle.

I think Taylor Lewan is an excellent player. He's right there with Jake Matthews in my opinion.

Lewan is a bit more athletic than Jake was coming out of Michigan. His issue is that he has a short fuse and can get baited by defenses into bad situations (see Michigan State game this weekend)

Lewan always seems to get cranked up in big games....especially the rivalry game against Michigan St. Him and William Gholston were essentially like watching a street fight last year. However, scouts will view Lewan's intensity as a positive in some situations.

It's the durability and penalties in big games that are my only knocks on him. He struggled a lot with penalties against Alabama and left the game with an injury.

Michigan is using him a lot this year on the right side in unbalanced formations. He looks good, real good. I like his aggressiveness, just needs to keep his technique.

Lewan always seems to get cranked up in big games....especially the rivalry game against Michigan St. Him and William Gholston were essentially like watching a street fight last year. However, scouts will view Lewan's intensity as a positive in some situations.

It's the durability and penalties in big games that are my only knocks on him. He struggled a lot with penalties against Alabama and left the game with an injury.

Michigan is using him a lot this year on the right side in unbalanced formations. He looks good, real good. I like his aggressiveness, just needs to keep his technique.

Basically Michigan's OL outside of Lewan and Schofield sucks.... a bunch of RS or true Frosh and sophomores. 9 different guys have started for us.

Kouandjio just isn't the dominant player that Andre Smith or Chris Samuels were at left tackle for Alabama. That's just the facts. But those two were top 10 picks.

Kouandjio is a better prospect than James Carpenter was, but not in a category with Smith or Samuels. He's probably a right tackle in the NFL, or perhaps a guard as a last resort. I think he's good enough to stay at tackle.

I think Taylor Lewan is an excellent player. He's right there with Jake Matthews in my opinion.
Kouandijio does have that one armed whip move which is pretty impressive. I agree probably RT for him. If Miami takes a player from Alabama in the 1st, I hope it's CJ Mosley. Love that guy as a player.

:bobdole: Probably because not all of us panic just because a FA signing played WAY below what anybody expected and a 2nd year player (who you were probably happy we used a high pick on) apparently had mental issues. What's funny is that despite the sacks, we're still playing far better than we did for the vast majority of the time Capt. Cornfed was here. Why? Playmakers. I'll take more of those please!

I agree to some extent but bear in mind that we are scarcely getting the most out of the playmakers we have because we can't set up any plays that require the line to do anything resembling real blocking. Mike Wallace has scarcely gotten the chance to get deep this year because even as quickly as he gets there the QB is still on his back by that time.

The best strategy, which really isn't a strategy at all, is to actually hit out on our midrounders, and thus not have to wait for our first round picks every year to actually pick up talent. Getting a Calvin Johnson/Dez Bryant type is great in the first round, but you can make do with a guy like Randall Cobb later on.

Back
Top Bottom