Take a break from the predictions and laugh a little... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Take a break from the predictions and laugh a little...

Flacco won the MVP in the super bowl! There isnt anyone on those Jet teams that could come close to his performance let alone compare the jets team to him!

The Jets AFCC game loses are past history...no one remembers them. Flacco is a winner!!! :lol2:

yes, if the jets won the SB it's impossible anyone could win the MVP:rolleyes2:

Flacco didn't deserve the MVP and even if he did it doesn't make him elite.

I don't like to use the word elite unless the team has won a Super Bowl, but I would consider Atl one of the better teams in the NFC. They have made the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 seasons and won at least 11 games 3 out of 4 of those seasons. The other two they won 9 and 10 games. I don't think you can just look at a specific round a team makes it to in the playoffs, becasue you have to consider who they lost to, who they beat, and how they won if they advanced. Atl was 1 and done in 3 out of their last 4 playoff apps, but look at who they lost to.

AZ in 2008 who was a couple of minutes away from winning the Super Bowl that year.
GB in 2010 who won the Super Bowl.
The Giants in 2011 who also won the Super Bowl.

Had Alt beat mediocre teams allowing them to advance further in the playoffs before losing to one of those teams that made it to the Super Bowl, it wouldn't change my opinion of the type of team Atl is. To me, it is not only regular season success, but who you play in the playoffs and how you won or lost.

So, yes I would consider Atl one of the better teams in the NFC based on their sustained regular season success and based on who they lost to in the playoffs.

What is sustained success to you? Do you really think that making it to the divisional round makes a team elite?

the div rd you are final 4 in your conference so that's a big deal. I can see the Atl thing the other way b/c they haven't won, at the very least I would consider them an NFC elite team.

I guess, I'm not really a fan of individual players being elite b/c the ones discussed are usually the premiere positions (QB, WR, LB, etc). Baltimore as a whole is right up there as being an elite team. Playoffs the last 5 years with back to back AFC Title Game appearances with an advance and win in the SB certainly makes the case.

Next year might be different post-Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and potential others so we'll see.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Atlanta can't possibly be an elite team since they haven't made it to the Super Bowl. If you were to call them elite, what is Green Bay then? Or the Giants? More elite? That isn't a 'thing'.

you understand that more than 1 team can be elite, right?

yes, if the jets won the SB it's impossible anyone could win the MVP:rolleyes2:

the div rd you are final 4 in your conference so that's a big deal. I can see the Atl thing the other way b/c they haven't won, at the very least I would consider them an NFC elite team.

Have the jets been to a super bowl in your lifetime?

Have the jets been to a super bowl in your lifetime?

Nope, so that means it is impossible? the Red Sox had never won a WS in my lifetime until 2004, the Cards had never been to a SB until 2008. Nothing is impossible, heck the dolphin may even win a playoff game this Century at some point:D

Well to you the Jets were elite along with 3-4 other teams. How does one rank elite teams in the same year anyway? Elite should be elite.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

You said the same thing for Eli Manning both times. Why not hire you on the award committee b/c they clearly have no clue what they're doing with their current staff.

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

That is why I don't like to use the word elite for teams that have not won a Super Bowl. They need to be distinguished from the teams that have won one. Those teams are the truly elite teams. I do think the teams that consistently compete should also be distinguished from the teams that don't, even if both haven't won a Super Bowl. We can talk about which teams have been the better teams during a certain period of time, or who we think will continue to be the better teams without calling them elite. You and I (and I think most people) reserve that term for the select few that have won a Super Bowl, and I think that fits the term nicely.

A team that hasn't even gotten to the SB cannot be elite. Let's say the Ravens are now elite. How can the Falcons also be elite when they haven't accomplished what the Ravens just did?

Only 6 teams qualify for the playoffs in each conference. If winning 1 playoff game makes you elite, then you might as well say you are elite if you make the playoffs. You are final 6 in your conference. The Dolphins made the divisional round 3 straight years from 1998 to 2000. You really think they were elite? How can you use the same term for a team that got blown out in the divisional round as teams that got to, and won Super Bowls? Those are the elite teams. The other teams can be the better teams, but certainly not elite.

Flacco not elite, or MVP deserving is too funny coming from the guy who on TGG asserted something to the effect that in '10, Buttchez might have been the 28th ranked QB but he was still in the 'top 10'

A team that hasn't even gotten to the SB cannot be elite. Let's say the Ravens are now elite. How can the Falcons also be elite when they haven't accomplished what the Ravens just did?

I guess in the same way the 2009 through 2011 Jets are elite like the Super Bowl winning Packers, Ravens, Steelers Ect...:lol:

I guess in the same way the 2009 through 2011 Jets are elite like the Super Bowl winning Packers, Ravens, Steelers Ect...:lol:

so you think there is only 1 elite team per year? that's silly, there is 1 SB champion per year but multiple elite teams.

isn't everything we post "in our opinion"?

I guess in your opinion it is...because those that disagree with your opinion are just average fans...

so you think there is only 1 elite team per year? that's silly, there is 1 SB champion per year but multiple elite teams.

It isn't just an individual year by year basis. Tell us what teams you think were elite in 2009. Then tell us which teams were elite in 2010. We'll start there.

Your comments seem to indicate you believe them to be fact whereas minions like most on this site are clueless and offering minuscule opinions.

That's just the vibe I get.

maybe you should stop getting vibes from dudes?

I guess in your opinion it is...because those that disagree with your opinion are just average fans...

that's not true, pleanty of people that know more than me disaagree w/ me. The folks, like you, who are average fans are the ones that rely solely on stats and rankings w/o context. The folks thhat call Eli elite last year and Flacco elite this year, the folks that sway in the wind and can't think for themselves.

It isn't just an individual year by year basis. Tell us what teams you think were elite in 2009. Then tell us which teams were elite in 2010. We'll start there.

2009:

NO
Ind
Min
NYJ

2010:

GB
Chi
Pitt
NYJ
NE

maybe you should stop getting vibes from dudes?

Wait, what? I hope a 13 yr old kid got a hold of your account for a sec. For someone who cries about people being immature or talking ****, that comment is kind of weird.

Back
Top Bottom