Taking the Run Game to the Next Level | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Taking the Run Game to the Next Level

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Every NFL team has the same dilemma this time of the year. How do they get better? Every team is also chasing the Kansas City Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes. Quite a task.

Mahomes has been the best quarterback in football for a while. That's not going to change.

The way I see it, the way to matchup and have a chance is twofold. Get players who can pressure the quarterback. And run the rock.

One of the best things that happened this season was the emergence of the run game in Miami. The Dolphins averaged 135 yards per game, which was among the team leaders.

Now, it's time to take that run game up a notch. McDaniel sometimes gave up on the run too early and clearly didn't trust the short yardage run game.

The offseason should be about finding offensive linemen and maybe a "bully" running back who can convert short yardage and take games over at the end.

Assuming Phillips and Chubb make full recoveries, the pass rush should produce. Adding there is never a bad idea.

Keep Allen, Mahomes off the field and pressure the heck out of them. Be the bully on both sides of the ball.

Bills offense scored 14 points against us, Chiefs offense scored 19 points in regulation of the SB and 7 of those were a gift.

We have to block better for our QB and we can blow these teams out, not just beat them but destroy them and their mystique.

Last edited:
Bills offense scored 14 points against us, Chiefs offense scored 19 points in regulation of the SB and 7 of those were a gift.

We have to block better for our QB and we can blow these teams out, not just beat them but destroy them and their mystique.
Awesome Yes GIF - Awesome Yes That Is Awesome - Discover & Share GIFs

No doubt we have issues on the offensive line , our Achilles heel

Last edited:
Every NFL team has the same dilemma this time of the year. How do they get better? Every team is also chasing the Kansas City Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes. Quite a task.

Mahomes has been the best quarterback in football for a while. That's not going to change.

The way I see it, the way to matchup and have a chance is twofold. Get players who can pressure the quarterback. And run the rock.

One of the best things that happened this season was the emergence of the run game in Miami. The Dolphins averaged 135 yards per game, which was among the team leaders.

Now, it's time to take that run game up a notch. McDaniel sometimes gave up on the run too early and clearly didn't trust the short yardage run game.

The offseason should be about finding offensive linemen and maybe a "bully" running back who can convert short yardage and take games over at the end.

Assuming Phillips and Chubb make full recoveries, the pass rush should produce. Adding there is never a bad idea.

Keep Allen, Mahomes off the field and pressure the heck out of them. Be the bully on both sides of the ball.
Great post! I too would love the next Marshawn Lynch that will be a 99% first down on 3rd and short. I do not think we will ever get good at a Tush Push so let's get that type of running back! The other team should fear the pounding run and from that fear there will be the occasional long bomb to the Chettah or Waddle when they stack the box.

Great post! I too would love the next Marshawn Lynch that will be a 99% first down on 3rd and short. I do not think we will ever get good at a Tush Push so let's get that type of running back! The other team should fear the pounding run and from that fear there will be the occasional long bomb to the Chettah or Waddle when they stack the box.
Thanks! I was just scouring the list of free agents and Dillon, the rb from Green Bay, is on the list. I think he'd complement Achane really well.

Get those maulers on the offensive line who can push the defense back.

Another factor is that would help Miami in cold weather games.

The offseason should be about finding offensive linemen...

Get those maulers on the offensive line who can push the defense back.
Does anyone seriously believe that Grier will magically be able to build an above-average tough, physical o-line this off-season after years and years of being woefully inept when it comes to the o-line? IMO, it's going to be just like last year; Grier and McDaniel are going to say that they're not concerned with the o-line. They probably think that once the injured guys are better, everything will be just fine.

As for the running game, McDaniel has a habit of going away from it even when it's working because he loves the big passing plays more, so I expect him to continue that. IOW, I have no faith in Grier or McDaniel to fix the o-line and improve the running game.

Does anyone seriously believe that Grier will magically be able to build an above-average tough, physical o-line this off-season after years and years of being woefully inept when it comes to the o-line? IMO, it's going to be just like last year; Grier and McDaniel are going to say that they're not concerned with the o-line. They probably think that once the injured guys are better, everything will be just fine.

As for the running game, McDaniel has a habit of going away from it even when it's working because he loves the big passing plays more, so I expect him to continue that. IOW, I have no faith in Grier or McDaniel to fix the o-line and improve the running game.

When it’s the only objective, yes.

Also when you have McDaniel in the building, it boosts the prospects of him finding the guys he needs to make his OL work.

Also taking into the consideration how strong the IOL prospects are in this class the answer is yes.

lol.
We got to get Philbin or Flores back asap.

Back
Top Bottom