Taking the Run Game to the Next Level | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Taking the Run Game to the Next Level

A good run game starts with not only good blocking between the tackles, but a running back that is big and strong enough to run between the tackles. We have to commit to this and use it consistently, especially late in games and when we are trying to maintain possession to close out games. We have explosive backs, but may still need a bruiser who can get you that 2 or 3 yards even with direct contact.

Ironically, this would also open up the short passing game, with RB's and TE's and keep the defense as defenses are cheating to stop the run....

And the short passing game would open up the intermediate and deep passing game even more.

This is why I think McD said the TE's would become the next phase of the offense. We can't have two high safeties sitting back there taking our best weapons away from us. There is nothing wrong with moving down the field at 7 or 8 yards a clip. Not everything needs to be 20+ yards downfield

Every NFL team has the same dilemma this time of the year. How do they get better? Every team is also chasing the Kansas City Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes. Quite a task.

Mahomes has been the best quarterback in football for a while. That's not going to change.

The way I see it, the way to matchup and have a chance is twofold. Get players who can pressure the quarterback. And run the rock.

One of the best things that happened this season was the emergence of the run game in Miami. The Dolphins averaged 135 yards per game, which was among the team leaders.

Now, it's time to take that run game up a notch. McDaniel sometimes gave up on the run too early and clearly didn't trust the short yardage run game.

The offseason should be about finding offensive linemen and maybe a "bully" running back who can convert short yardage and take games over at the end.

Assuming Phillips and Chubb make full recoveries, the pass rush should produce. Adding there is never a bad idea.

Keep Allen, Mahomes off the field and pressure the heck out of them. Be the bully on both sides of the ball.

Yeah, the running game was kind of like the passing game. Vs bad and OK teams, Miami's speed and design would overwhelm them. The good defenses set the edge and destroyed Miami's ability to run the ball, because they couldn't run inside or with power. I think this had a lot more to do with OL, TE, and (yes!) FB than Mostert or Achane.

But, Estime is probably the best back in the class at churning out yards inside. He's an awesome combination of powerful and slippery. Probably goes somewhere between 53 and 155, though.

We will have the opportunity to revamp the interior oline. We just have to get the right guys. Even one pro bowl caliber guard would change this offense. Our coaches can scheme to provide better blocking but just imagine if we had a legit line
We have a home grown, young, on the verge pro bowl RG that's about to walk out the door. So, he plays good and he's up for a contract. Um, pay him so we don't have to "revamp" the line for like the umpteenth time. At center, either you bring back Williams or draft one. Even if you do bring back Williams, one of those top two picks will be oline. Strong draft this year.

Yeah, the running game was kind of like the passing game. Vs bad and OK teams, Miami's speed and design would overwhelm them. The good defenses set the edge and destroyed Miami's ability to run the ball, because they couldn't run inside or with power. I think this had a lot more to do with OL, TE, and (yes!) FB than Mostert or Achane.

But, Estime is probably the best back in the class at churning out yards inside. He's an awesome combination of powerful and slippery. Probably goes somewhere between 53 and 155, though.
If Miami can add a 3rd rounder Estime or Allen would be nice targets.

Does anyone seriously believe that Grier will magically be able to build an above-average tough, physical o-line this off-season after years and years of being woefully inept when it comes to the o-line? IMO, it's going to be just like last year; Grier and McDaniel are going to say that they're not concerned with the o-line. They probably think that once the injured guys are better, everything will be just fine.

As for the running game, McDaniel has a habit of going away from it even when it's working because he loves the big passing plays more, so I expect him to continue that. IOW, I have no faith in Grier or McDaniel to fix the o-line and improve the running game.
You must have missed the early season games where we ran at will. That was until our guys started getting banged up, but you go ahead and bash the team that finished near the top in rushing this year, with ****ing backups. The OL was not adequate with backups instead of starters. Blame Grier for that...

You must have missed the early season games where we ran at will. That was until our guys started getting banged up, but you go ahead and bash the team that finished near the top in rushing this year, with ****ing backups. The OL was not adequate with backups instead of starters. Blame Grier for that...
No, didn't miss that. I saw a running game that was effective by design that gained yards with speedy RBs usually running outside. What I didn't see was a strong, power running game that could run up the middle even when the defense knows you're going to run the ball. And, it wasn't just injuries that affected the running game, it was also McDaniel not wanting to run the ball, and defenses containing it on the outside knowing that Miami can't run up the middle.

Basically, the running game fared just as well as the passing game once the season wore on. Both were explosive in the beginning of the year, until defenses figured out how to disrupt the offense, and then everything went downhill due to injuries AND McDaniel's inexperience and cluelessness when it comes to calling plays and making adjustments. It was so bad near the end of the season that it seemed as if Miami gave up trying to convert 3rd or 4th and short on the ground... they just kept throwing it. That wasn't just because of back-ups; McDaniel has to share a lot of the blame.

The Blame Game" has started.
Surprise, surprise, surprise. - LOL

Who do we blame for making enough improvements to our team to get us into the playoffs two times in a row?

Any attempt to "move the goal posts" when answering my question will be made by some "self-identifying Lemming". - LOL

The Blame Game" has started.
Surprise, surprise, surprise. - LOL

Who do we blame for making enough improvements to our team to get us into the playoffs two times in a row?

Any attempt to "move the goal posts" when answering my question will be made by some "self-identifying Lemming". - LOL
I call that sarcasm, I am a big fan of Grier but maybe you didn't notice that in other posts...Ray is, well...Ray

No, didn't miss that. I saw a running game that was effective by design that gained yards with speedy RBs usually running outside. What I didn't see was a strong, power running game that could run up the middle even when the defense knows you're going to run the ball. And, it wasn't just injuries that affected the running game, it was also McDaniel not wanting to run the ball, and defenses containing it on the outside knowing that Miami can't run up the middle.

Basically, the running game fared just as well as the passing game once the season wore on. Both were explosive in the beginning of the year, until defenses figured out how to disrupt the offense, and then everything went downhill due to injuries AND McDaniel's inexperience and cluelessness when it comes to calling plays and making adjustments. It was so bad near the end of the season that it seemed as if Miami gave up trying to convert 3rd or 4th and short on the ground... they just kept throwing it. That wasn't just because of back-ups; McDaniel has to share a lot of the blame.
We did run at the middle then, without the long runs inside. Csonka is long retired, and power running attacks do not win Super Bowls. Has to be a balance. I agree on McD's play calling shortcomings. To move to the next level that needs fixed. I also think that the loss of the LG Wynn early on hurt us more that we knew at the time, then we lose CW and there was no more running in the middle,to run we had to go outside. Teams that could set the edge could also stop our speed, we're not so far apart here.

I call that sarcasm, I am a big fan of Grier but maybe you didn't notice that in other posts...Ray is, well...Ray

Some guy's take posts so personally.
I did see you are trying to move those "goal posts" though.
Smooth. - LOL

Thank you for demonstrating that my prediction was right.
Well, Ray is Right, again! - LOL
Ray is well, Ray, so what else would you expect? - LOL

I guess there is nothing left to say now.
But we all know that won't happen. - LOL

Sorry, but I just couldn't help myself. - LOL

loss of the LG Wynn early on
This cannot be overstated.

Losing Wynn coincided with most of our OL issues that were then exacerbated by the loss of Connor Williams, ad nauseum.

Surprisingly, Armstead being out far too often didn't cripple us as much as some of the other position losses.

Back
Top Bottom