Taking the Run Game to the Next Level | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Taking the Run Game to the Next Level

The O-Line was better this year even with the injuries, blocking is all about attitude and a will to do it, drafting a road grader is the way to go, a Center is the place I would look to upgrade and move Conor Williams to guard, Bring in a big RB to rely on when it gets cold.
I would say for somebody to email Grier this, but I believe McDaniel already knows this.

The O-Line was better this year even with the injuries, blocking is all about attitude and a will to do it, drafting a road grader is the way to go, a Center is the place I would look to upgrade and move Conor Williams to guard, Bring in a big RB to rely on when it gets cold.
Well, Williams isn't under contract, and being a top rated FA Center, I really doubt that's a likely scenario.

I have to imagine he is still pissed that we wouldn't deal with him before last season.

Not quite at the seven decade mark, but there was a time when a lot of teams (probably most) had what was called a "jumbo" package. Sometimes 3 TEs, but more often a Tackle eligible with an addition G/T inside. It was often used in goal line situations, but also in any short yardage situations.

I believe that could be an option and a way to get the "beef" on the field.

Mikey, I want a "jumbo" and I want it now! - LOL

Not quite at the seven decade mark, but there was a time when a lot of teams (probably most) had what was called a "jumbo" package. Sometimes 3 TEs, but more often a Tackle eligible with an addition G/T inside. It was often used in goal line situations, but also in any short yardage situations.

For short yardage I still don’t understand why teams go into bunch formations

Go five wide and spread them out

Well, Williams isn't under contract, and being a top rated FA Center, I really doubt that's a likely scenario.

I have to imagine he is still pissed that we wouldn't deal with him before last season.
Not to mention guards are paid a bit more than centers, at least it's usually the case. Although, this contradicts that a bit.Per Spotrac:

Market Value-Connor Williams​

• 5 yrs, $67,676,377
  • Avg. Salary: $13,535,275
  • NFL Rank: 152
  • C Rank: 2

Market Value-Hunt​

• 4 yrs, $47,391,852
  • Avg. Salary: $11,847,963
  • NFL Rank: 183
  • G Rank: 16

Over the last seven decades as I watched pro football the OL players went from 250 pounds to well over 300 pounds, I also noticed fewer beer bellies and many more muscular physics.

Still, that's a lot of mass to move around, but they can still be fast, but not quite as quick as smaller players.

Muscular physics? as opposed to flabby geology?

S bp b.jpg

Does anyone seriously believe that Grier will magically be able to build an above-average tough, physical o-line this off-season after years and years of being woefully inept when it comes to the o-line? IMO, it's going to be just like last year; Grier and McDaniel are going to say that they're not concerned with the o-line. They probably think that once the injured guys are better, everything will be just fine.

As for the running game, McDaniel has a habit of going away from it even when it's working because he loves the big passing plays more, so I expect him to continue that. IOW, I have no faith in Grier or McDaniel to fix the o-line and improve the running game.
That makes two of us

We have a home grown, young, on the verge pro bowl RG that's about to walk out the door. So, he plays good and he's up for a contract. Um, pay him so we don't have to "revamp" the line for like the umpteenth time. At center, either you bring back Williams or draft one. Even if you do bring back Williams, one of those top two picks will be oline. Strong draft this year.
Imagine adding a stud LG to our current oline.

Not to mention guards are paid a bit more than centers, at least it's usually the case. Although, this contradicts that a bit.Per Spotrac:

Market Value-Connor Williams​

• 5 yrs, $67,676,377
  • Avg. Salary: $13,535,275
  • NFL Rank: 152
  • C Rank: 2

Market Value-Hunt​

• 4 yrs, $47,391,852
  • Avg. Salary: $11,847,963
  • NFL Rank: 183
  • G Rank: 16
Because of his injury history, I would pass on the parameters of that contract for Williams

Great post! I too would love the next Marshawn Lynch that will be a 99% first down on 3rd and short. I do not think we will ever get good at a Tush Push so let's get that type of running back! The other team should fear the pounding run and from that fear there will be the occasional long bomb to the Chettah or Waddle when they stack the box.
They need to outlaw the TP. It’s rugby, not football.

Back
Top Bottom