Taking the Run Game to the Next Level | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Taking the Run Game to the Next Level

A good run game starts with not only good blocking between the tackles, but a running back that is big and strong enough to run between the tackles. We have to commit to this and use it consistently, especially late in games and when we are trying to maintain possession to close out games. We have explosive backs, but may still need a bruiser who can get you that 2 or 3 yards even with direct contact.

Ironically, this would also open up the short passing game, with RB's and TE's and keep the defense as defenses are cheating to stop the run....

And the short passing game would open up the intermediate and deep passing game even more.

This is why I think McD said the TE's would become the next phase of the offense. We can't have two high safeties sitting back there taking our best weapons away from us. There is nothing wrong with moving down the field at 7 or 8 yards a clip. Not everything needs to be 20+ yards downfield
Absolutely agree.

Look at those Patriots teams that dominanted. Sometimes Tom Brady didn't even have to take chances down the field.

Miami now has the chance to own the explosive plays and play "little ball."

They would be close to unstoppable.

This cannot be overstated.

Losing Wynn coincided with most of our OL issues that were then exacerbated by the loss of Connor Williams, ad nauseum.

Surprisingly, Armstead being out far too often didn't cripple us as much as some of the other position losses.
The voice of reason!

The O-Line was better this year even with the injuries, blocking is all about attitude and a will to do it, drafting a road grader is the way to go, a Center is the place I would look to upgrade and move Conor Williams to guard, Bring in a big RB to rely on when it gets cold.

The O-Line was better this year even with the injuries, blocking is all about attitude and a will to do it, drafting a road grader is the way to go, a Center is the place I would look to upgrade and move Conor Williams to guard, Bring in a big RB to rely on when it gets cold.
So you want to move away from zone blocking schemes and the current HC?

That is the only way " road grader" types make sense, and it is contradictory to McD's experience and, apparently, preference.

That is the only way " road grader" types make sense, and it is contradictory to McD's experience and, apparently, preference.
True to an extent. But Hunt fits the road grader definition and also has the feet to fit zone.

Those are the types Miami needs IMHO.

No, didn't miss that. I saw a running game that was effective by design that gained yards with speedy RBs usually running outside. What I didn't see was a strong, power running game that could run up the middle even when the defense knows you're going to run the ball. And, it wasn't just injuries that affected the running game, it was also McDaniel not wanting to run the ball, and defenses containing it on the outside knowing that Miami can't run up the middle.

Basically, the running game fared just as well as the passing game once the season wore on. Both were explosive in the beginning of the year, until defenses figured out how to disrupt the offense, and then everything went downhill due to injuries AND McDaniel's inexperience and cluelessness when it comes to calling plays and making adjustments. It was so bad near the end of the season that it seemed as if Miami gave up trying to convert 3rd or 4th and short on the ground... they just kept throwing it. That wasn't just because of back-ups; McDaniel has to share a lot of the blame.
not running the ball and injuries on the line are correlated no?

not running the ball and injuries on the line are correlated no?
To a point, yes. Even with injuries, sometimes they were still able to run a bit. That said, even if it's not working, you still need to keep at it so you don't become one dimensional and make it easier for the defense, but there were times when they should have been running, but they didn't.

To a point, yes. Even with injuries, sometimes they were still able to run a bit. That said, even if it's not working, you still need to keep at it so you don't become one dimensional and make it easier for the defense, but there were times when they should have been running, but they didn't.

There really isn’t any collective or logical data that illustrates how bad a team is affected stemming from the amount of injuries a team suffers relative to the pack.

We lost more starting games from our starters than anyone that I do know.

How you quantify that is up to the evaluator..

To sum it up as everyone has injuries, or, it doesn’t matter, no excuses, to me is poor evaluating .

"Road Grading" capability is not necessarily an offense lineman's only capability.

I feel an OL must be capable of operating in unison with its players having good ability in both preventing penetration and providing penetration, as a play call requires.

"Road Grading" capability is not necessarily an offense lineman's only capability.

I feel an OL must be capable of operating in unison with its players having good ability in both preventing penetration and providing penetration, as a play call requires.
Not necessarily, but more often than not the big power guys are not as agile or as quick. That shows up is pass pro as well.

Not necessarily, but more often than not the big power guys are not as agile or as quick. That shows up is pass pro as well.
Over the last seven decades as I watched pro football the OL players went from 250 pounds to well over 300 pounds, I also noticed fewer beer bellies and many more muscular physics.

Still, that's a lot of mass to move around, but they can still be fast, but not quite as quick as smaller players.

Over the last seven decades as I watched pro football the OL players went from 250 pounds to well over 300 pounds, I also noticed fewer beer bellies and many more muscular physics.

Still, that's a lot of mass to move around, but they can still be fast, but not quite as quick as smaller players.
Not quite at the seven decade mark, but there was a time when a lot of teams (probably most) had what was called a "jumbo" package. Sometimes 3 TEs, but more often a Tackle eligible with an addition G/T inside. It was often used in goal line situations, but also in any short yardage situations.

I believe that could be an option and a way to get the "beef" on the field.

I agree but that run game & defense philosophy to beat Mahomes doesn’t match how we’re building the team.

Look another year down the road… If salary cap goes up to ~$260M in 2025, we resign Tua for $50M, and pick up 5th year option on Waddle for $15M, the Tua-Hill-Waddle trio will count for around $100M of that.

I don’t know how we build a team around running game and defense when 3 players that contribute to the pass game soak up almost 40% of the cap.
Very carefully. Hopefully they dive into the offensive line. We are also going to need a few linebackers from somewhere whether that's a FA, draft, trade or UDFA

You just flatten those players

Back
Top Bottom