Tankersley... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tankersley...

Knock it off guys.

Please don't respond just get back to football

Took a lot of crap for his tackling and physicality. The elephant in the room for that argument was that he made a very high percentage of "stops" (tackling the ball carrier in a way that produces an offensive failure) and had a higher number of tackles period (100 tackles in 2015 & 2016). Those aren't the mark of a guy who is allergic to tackling. Inconsistency is not the same as consistently bad, which is what several people tried to sell everyone when they said that a guy with his dimensions, his speed, his coverage skills belonged in the 3rd round.

He's done well this preseason.

I like the player a lot, but we needed to draft a TE. I also don't like that he is turning 24 in November. Maybe that is why he slid a little.

Interesting to note that Tank got 45 snaps (54%) the highest among all Miami CBs in the Eagles game. So the Coaching staff used it as a good opportunity to take a look at him.

Cornerbacks

Cordrea Tankersley, cornerback - 45, 54%
Byron Maxwell, cornerback - 38, 46%
Xavien Howard, cornerback - 38, 46%
Torry McTyer, cornerback - 23, 28%
Alterraun Verner, cornerback - 22, 27%
Lafayette Pitts, cornerback - 17, 20%
Larry Hope, cornerback - 4, 5%

I like Tankersley and am happy he is having early success. But, I don't think he is ready. In pre-season we see lots of vanilla stuff. Tankersley, like most young press coverage CB's, is a feast or famine guy. If he can get his hands on you and be "physical" in coverage against a WR, then he will usually dominate. But, his change of direction and mirror skills are not great, and he's not yet good at reading and reacting to the play, so he'll get burned by quick movement and redirection. Those moments he'll be exploited much like the Igglez did to Byron Maxwell. Run straight at him, he looks great. Angle away from him and keep his hands off you, you can make him look foolish.

Tankersley would certainly see a heavy dose of that in the regular season. It would certainly expose him. Best to keep him in a learning bubble for most of this year except when we have no other choice. This way he can develop without losing his confidence.

But if you liked Tony Lippett, and most of us did, then you should eventually like Tankersley, because he has better physical tools and has similar strengths and weaknesses.

I haven't seen Miami have a potentially solid draft 1 - 7 in my lifetime. The 2017 draft so far, outside of the McMillan injury and slow development of Harris, has been quite good. Tankersley has been having a under the radar type camp, while quickly developing into a potential contributor this year. Taylor is in the mix for a rotational DT and Godchaux being a real Godsend at the other DT spot. I got my fingers crossed

So Tannenbaum done good?

So Tannenbaum done good?
To be honest, I don't really know if it's a Tannenbaum thing or that he was part of team related effort. But if the rumors are correct the Draft is all Grier, than it could be said, "No" it's not Tannenbaum. All I do know is, with exception of McMillan, who's out for the sason, almost all of the draftees are making progress and will make some sort of contribution this season. Those contributions will be determined once these kids find out the teams plan for them. McMillan was well on his way to becoming a starter. So for arguments sake McMillan and Godchaux are starters for most of their careers. Tankersley eventually becomes a starter, perhaps by 2018; and the rest make significant contributions over the course of their careers, that includes, Harris as well. I'd say this becomes a candidate for an all time Miami draft class. Something I've never witnessed in Miami before. And let's not forget the potential of the UDFA class Miami signed this year. There are several looking like they'll stick and make contributions as well.

I wasn't high on Tank but he's done everything he could so far. Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom