Tannehill better than Cam Newton? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill better than Cam Newton?

tannehills ability to read the defense pre and post snap and set up his protections are pretty much what should have all of us giddy about this kid...it's so hard to find a bad decision on this kids tape despite pretty much pedestrian weapons to work with that i can't help but think that this kids not only gonna be legit but like top 5 level nfl qb in short order...we ask him to do so much in this offense it's just crazy to me that he can do things at such a high level already...and coming off 19 starts in college...how just damn high is this kids ceiling in this league??? it's crazy i know that...and not to mention he's also a plus athlete that we have barely scratched the surface on in that regard...hard not to be all smiles here...

:lol: I have never seen such man-love as there is for Tannehill.

How old are you?...this reminds me of Marino's rookie year and the love he got to a certain degree.

This is pretty much what happens in any city when the fanbase feels they have finally landed a franchise QB, particullary after a franchise has suffered and endured years of journeyman QB'ing.

tannehills ability to read the defense pre and post snap and set up his protections are pretty much what should have all of us giddy about this kid...it's so hard to find a bad decision on this kids tape despite pretty much pedestrian weapons to work with that i can't help but think that this kids not only gonna be legit but like top 5 level nfl qb in short order...we ask him to do so much in this offense it's just crazy to me that he can do things at such a high level already...and coming off 19 starts in college...how just damn high is this kids ceiling in this league??? it's crazy i know that...and not to mention he's also a plus athlete that we have barely scratched the surface on in that regard...hard not to be all smiles here...

Hopefully you're right. Incredibly there are some around here who can't look a potential gifthorse in the mouth because he wasn't the horse they had in the "race." and will either take issue with your eval or just ignore it in favor of highlighting rookie mistakes over 4 whole starts.

I think it's important to understand that after his first game vs Houston in Houston, he's only thrown 3 Ints although his detractors like to hold the first 3 against him like he was Tony Romo experienced.

IN before someone says because he is black. Which Im pretty sure is what youre either suggesting or looking for someone to answer with.

But, thats all BS. I can list some obvious reasons as to why people dont like Cam.

1) He stole laptops. Pretty pathetic. Shows his character.

2) Everyone knows his dad shopped him around to colleges.

3) The whole Superman thing. That ridiculous endzone thing he does. When he did that trailing by a ton of points late in a game, it just demonstrates how he markets himself and puts that ahead of the team. This may lend itself to going 6-10. Put up nice stats and still lose games on the reg.

Also, the whole Superman thing is so played. Shaq, Dwight Howard, countless other players, the whole Batman and Robin **** whenever 2 good players are on a team together. Just the whole comic book hero act. Its ****ing played already.

4) Labeling himself as an "Icon and an Entertainer". Again, points to how he wants to market himself. But, selling himself is not something he ever did before the NFL. :err: Hey, there is nothing wrong with marketing yourself and trying to get your money up, but some wonder if this is sometimes done at the teams expense.

5) His whole demenor. Towel on his head etc etc.. People dont like a lot of that ****.

So there you go. Now before anyone else wants to throw the race thing out there just because its so easy to do that, ask yourself why so many people seem to not like Jay Cutler. Has to be because he is black..... right? Cant be about his play or his attitude. Because he has proven much more as a player in this league than Newton has so far. If Jay Cutler were white, he wouldnt get so much hate.

Edit: Oh, and Deion Sanders dosent help much either. Cam being dramatically overrated by the media also has no effect on why people hate on him.

He was thrown out of Florida for cheating and stealing from a teammate. His father shook down MSU. I don't buy for a second that Cam didn't know he was doing it. Why would he commit to MSU and then commit to Auburn? Everybody knew that his dad tried to get money from Mississippi State for him to play there, and everybody knows that someone affiliated with Auburn probably paid Cam Newton's family for him to go there instead. Everybody knows he cheated at Florida academically and then transferred so he wouldn't have to pay the price. Everyone knows he stole a laptop at Florida.

He is a crooked douche bag. I don't care if he is the greatest player to play the game, I am going to dislike him. A lot of people are sick of watching bad people be praised, while good people work hard and don't get the pay, the rewards, the attention, etc, that they deserve. Cam Newton is an exact example of this. Anyone talking about Tannehill's record for most passing yards by a rookie on the road? Nope but last year Cam's rookie passing yards record for one game vs Green Bay last year was talked about forever. Cam is a joke.

Hopefully you're right. Incredibly there are some around here who can't look a potential gifthorse in the mouth because he wasn't the horse they had in the "race." and will either take issue with your eval or just ignore it in favor of highlighting rookie mistakes over 4 whole starts.

I think it's important to understand that after his first game vs Houston in Houston, he's only thrown 3 Ints although his detractors like to hold the first 3 against him like he was Tony Romo experienced.

those tips against houston were more about jjwatt than anything else...the guys playing at a defensive mvp level...he tipped 3 more balls week 2...i only really give tannehill true credit with one int thus far the roll out pick 6 by laron landry where he expected him to drop...

only real thing i would like to see get better is some of the accuracy needs to be better on some throws...he's missed a few things he needs to hit to play at a franchise level...but the decision making and decision making against pressure...it doesn't get much better...it's way way beyond a rookie i know that

True, but two of them have earned it...

Brady = 5 Super Bowls, 3 SB victories, 126-37 win-loss record, 307-116 TD-int ratio, 41,206 yards, 96.5 QB rating

Favre = 2 Super Bowls, 1 SB victory, 186-112 win-loss record, 508-336 TD-int ratio, 71,838 yards, 86.0 QB rating

One hasn't...

Tannehill = 0 Super Bowls, 0 SB victories, 1-3 win-loss record, 2-6 TD-int ratio, 1,046 yards, 66.4 QB rating

I am all for Tannehill getting love, but I just think he should EARN it first.

So, would you still be saying the same thing about earning it first if we had drafted Luck, RG3 or Wilson?

This is a post of yours in May 2012 and before a single game was played. How do you come to the conclusion that Tannehill is a worse QB than Luck and RG3 if neither had the chance to earn anything?
http://www.finheaven.com/forums/sho...-Class&p=1064318354&highlight=#post1064318354

Again, back in April/May 2012 you said...
http://www.finheaven.com/forums/sho...ing-QB&p=1064313398&highlight=#post1064313398

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/sho...-draft&p=1064287505&highlight=#post1064287505

Leads me to believe that you were on the Flynn/Wilson bandwagon. If we had signed Flynn and/or drafted Wilson, would they have to earn it first too?
Maybe your QB evaluation skills are not as good as you liked them to be (from April 2012):
http://www.finheaven.com/forums/sho...-Henne&p=1064303979&highlight=#post1064303979

Brady = 5 Super Bowls, 3 SB victories, 126-37 win-loss record, 307-116 TD-int ratio, 41,206 yards, 96.5 QB rating

Favre = 2 Super Bowls, 1 SB victory, 186-112 win-loss record, 508-336 TD-int ratio, 71,838 yards, 86.0 QB rating

One hasn't...

Tannehill = 0 Super Bowls, 0 SB victories, 1-3 win-loss record, 2-6 TD-int ratio, 1,046 yards, 66.4 QB rating

funny how you think stats are relevant to what I had to say..... Apparently can't identify sarcasm when you see it, a lot of wasted research there buddy

The difference between the two IMO is that Cam wants to be the reason why his team won the game, he's a "me" person, he loves accolades and wants to be in the spot lights, Tannehill on the other hand is trying to fit into a scheme, he has plenty of skills but I think he uses them as a last resort because the team will benefit from it. He's not a "Me" person.

The main difference between Cam and Tanny is between the ears. Cam is the overall more athletic player, but Tanny is the smarter one. Not playing a race card here BTW. Tanny reminds me of Brady or Manning presnap, a field general with more athleticism than either. Not saying he is elite, but he has the tools and smarts to be so. And this is after 23 starts at QB, college included. How can we not be high on the ceiling for this kid.

And nice job calling out Adam, as stated before some are gonna hate because Tanny wasn't their guy

Also I wasn't sold on Tanny as a QB when we drafted him, liked the potential but it seemed like a reach at #8. Glad we had Sherman on-board to help evaluate him

One hasn't...

I find it difficult to imagine Tannehill having played in 5 Superbowl's by this point in his career. You have a very odd way of judging rookies.

IN before someone says because he is black. Which Im pretty sure is what youre either suggesting or looking for someone to answer with.

But, thats all BS. I can list some obvious reasons as to why people dont like Cam.

3) The whole Superman thing. That ridiculous endzone thing he does. When he did that trailing by a ton of points late in a game, it just demonstrates how he markets himself and puts that ahead of the team. This may lend itself to going 6-10. Put up nice stats and still lose games on the reg.

Also, the whole Superman thing is so played. Shaq, Dwight Howard, countless other players, the whole Batman and Robin **** whenever 2 good players are on a team together. Just the whole comic book hero act. Its ****ing played already.

4) Labeling himself as an "Icon and an Entertainer". Again, points to how he wants to market himself. But, selling himself is not something he ever did before the NFL. :err: Hey, there is nothing wrong with marketing yourself and trying to get your money up, but some wonder if this is sometimes done at the teams expense.

5) His whole demenor. Towel on his head etc etc.. People dont like a lot of that ****.

So there you go. Now before anyone else wants to throw the race thing out there just because its so easy to do that, ask yourself why so many people seem to not like Jay Cutler. Has to be because he is black..... right? Cant be about his play or his attitude. Because he has proven much more as a player in this league than Newton has so far. If Jay Cutler were white, he wouldnt get so much hate.

Edit: Oh, and Deion Sanders dosent help much either. Cam being dramatically overrated by the media also has no effect on why people hate on him.
I agree that people dislike him for these things. But, him being black kinda adds some fuel to the fire as well. Get what I'm saying? If Cam was white he would be criticized, but not as much.

The Smith guy on first take went off on a 15 minute rant about racism against Newton over this cartoon

29eXHiLa138-1.jpg

:rolleyes2: Apparently black players should be immune to criticism. Though to be fair first take goes off on a racism rant at least once a week so I shouldn't be surprised.

Attachments

• 29eX.HiLa.138.jpg
    29eX.HiLa.138.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 5
Ultimately.....regardless of how talented Cam Newton or Ryan Tannehill are, great quarterbacks are in my opinion great primarily because of whats upstairs.

The intangibles, decision making, how they handle pressure situations is what separates the great ones from the lesser QB's.

We won't have a final answer for years on just how good one or the other are for sure.

I will say that I don't give Cam Newton much of a chance of a long career if he keeps thinking he is Earl Campbell running the ball up the middle.

Most runningbacks have comparitively short careers...a QB just can't take punishment RB's take and expect to have a long career as a QB.

So we have a Tanney>RG3 thread and a Tanney>Cam thread. Can we please get a Tanney>Vick thread?

Back
Top Bottom