Tannehill on a shorter leash for 2014 | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill on a shorter leash for 2014

So a guy with a career rating of 79.3 is "clearly a professional backup", but Tannehill and his career 79.1 rating is clearly the way to go and our future?

Matt Moore's "best" season was 2400 yards passing, 16 TDs, 9 INTs, and 14 fumbles. 14 fumbles in only 13 games. That was his 4th year the league. If Tannehill puts up the same numbers in his 4th year, you and the other Tannehaters would have your panties so bunched up you'd need surgery to remove them..... Get a grip.

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

The problem I see with Tannehill is that they want him to be Aaron Rodgers, and that's just not the kind of QB he's ever going to be (as I see it). Tannehill has the physical tools. Post-snap, he's slow at processing information. Blame it on inexperience or whatever, but I don't see significantly improving this area, and I don't see him improving his instincts. Instincts is one of those areas where you got it, or you don't.

Does that mean I think we should move on from Tannehill? Not necessarily. If we intend to rely on him to throw the ball 40 times and carry our offense, I don't think he's that guy. But I think that's a stupid approach anyway, so I'm not ready to hit the reset button at QB. Lean on the running game, work off of play action, and pray that Tannehill can improve his deep ball. Bill Lazor MIGHT save Philbin's job. The new GM will also have a lot to do with it.

Pure speculation and IMO, complete bull****.

are the "Moore > Tannehill" arguments really coming out of the woodwork? my god maybe it's time to step away from the computer.

### CBS’ Jason LaCanfora posted a generally negative piece on the state of the Dolphins this week, aside from pointing out the team’s enviable cap position. (As we’ve reported, Miami will have between $30 million and $34 million in space, depending on tenders to some bottom-of-the-roster players. But Brent Grimes could take up another $11 million of cap space if he’s franchised.)

LaCanfora offered one news nugget in the piece, noting that Joe Philbin was “professing his belief in Matt Moore to several of the GM candidates and demanding more from Ryan Tannehill."

"He definitely wants to push Tannehill more," one source who has spoken to Philbin about the quarterbacks told LaCanfora. "And if he doesn't see improvement he said he might go to Moore at some point. He definitely has a lot of faith in Moore, and they're paying him a lot of money."

Moore will make $4 million this season, with a $5.5 million cap hit.

The view here: Unless Tannehill is awful and the Dolphins are losing a lot partly or largely because of him, it’s short-sighted (many would say downright foolish) to bench him next season considering: 1) Tannehill has more upside than Moore; 2) Tannehill made considerable progress this season (10th in yards, 11th in completions) despite a dreadful offensive line; and 3) The Dolphins must determine this year if he’s their quarterback of the future, which they remain hopeful about.

LaCanfora does generally good work and breaks stories, but in assessing the Tannehill report, we should note that he was both right and wrong in covering the Dolphins’ machinations of the past month, incorrectly reporting that one of the finalists (Lake Dawson) was no longer under consideration and that Stephen Ross’s upcoming trip to London and possibly China could sidetrack the GM search for a week. (The Dolphins insist Ross already had gone to London by that point, never went to China, and the three days didn’t sidetrack the search.) None of this is noted to rip the hard-working LaCanfora, but perspective is needed on these types of eyebrow-raising reports.
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...iting-class-dolphins-canes.html#storylink=cpy

Glad to see Barry Jackson call LaCanfora out and point to his poor track record.

I guess Barry is just a homer blaming the media. Oh, Barry is the media. :lol:

Barry Jackson said:
The Dolphins must determine this year if he’s their quarterback of the future, which they remain hopeful about.
You mean they're only hopeful, and not certain? :unsure: ;)

guys like finfaninbuf just refuse to accept reality, which is tannehill has been a mediocre qb for 2 years, 15-17 would support this claim, and more disturbing is he was the same exact qb in college! as soon as manziel took over for him a&m is a top 10 team(and their defense is beyond awful) coincidence?? please, this guy hasnt proven anything other than he cant throw a deep pass for his life and he can lead a team to 7 or 8 wins. fix the qb problem and this team will be relevant again. and im not saying moore is the solution.

Matt Moore won 6 games with that awful 2011 team. That team started 0-7 and Moore won 6 of the last 9 as the starter with them.

Over the last 3 seasons Moore has more or less lead the team to a 7-6 record(the 2012 Jests game Moore was inserted EARLY when Tannehill was injured. There was no score at the time). Virtually the same team that Tannehill has worked with and Moore has a decent record and a better rating than that of Tannehill.

Over the past two seasons in his 31 games, Tannehill is 14-17 and again has a worse rating over the last two years than what Moore has had over the last 3. Yet, somehow Im supposed to believe Tannehill is better? Why?

In fact, I would argue that as far as offensive talent the 2013 team had better players to throw to than the 2011 and 2012 teams. I would suggest Moore's numbers wouldve been even better than his 2011 campaign had he been the starter last year.
How about Moore's performance in 2013? 2 for 6 with 2 interceptions and a fumble. It would be tough to play worse if you tried

Ha Ha…good for Barry. Laconfora is such a douche. CBS should can him and sign an Albert Breer or Ian Rapport.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

You mean they're only hopeful, and not certain? :unsure: ;)

…but if they were certain there would be some trigonometry formula to prove it...

guys like finfaninbuf just refuse to accept reality, which is tannehill has been a mediocre qb for 2 years, 15-17 would support this claim, and more disturbing is he was the same exact qb in college! as soon as manziel took over for him a&m is a top 10 team(and their defense is beyond awful) coincidence?? please, this guy hasnt proven anything other than he cant throw a deep pass for his life and he can lead a team to 7 or 8 wins. fix the qb problem and this team will be relevant again. and im not saying moore is the solution.

Okay, sure..... I forgot that all QBs are HOF candidates in their second year, especially behind a crappy OLs. Please list all of them that have done that......

Philbin scares me. I thought ireland was the problem but philbin could be just as big of one. Not sure he has a clue how to run a team.Can't believe we had to hire hickey instead of a good gm to keep this clown around.

Hmmm......I don't think so.

I guess this is the difference between being obsessed with stats and actually watching games. I can't argue the results you state as they are fact and they are mediocre. However, you are quoting team stats and the Dolphins have in fact been "mediocre" over these last two years when you look at the results. But looking just at RT, I see a QB with excellent physical skills, a cannon of an arm, stands tall in the pocket and is not afraid to run with the ball if needed. I also see a QB who had his stats improve from year one to year two of his career despite having been sacked more times than any other QB in the league, having zero running game to help him out and having to restrict the passing game to short/intermediate routes because he had no time in the pocket to allow his downfield game to develop.

These are things I see! If you are just looking at stats, they don't all show up, so you are only getting a partial picture. I can only imagine how good RT could have been if we were able to have opposing defenses worried about our run game instead of being able to just sit back and play the pass.

I think there are a reason why most of the talking heads are now moving Tannehill up the list of 2012 drafted QB's................

Back
Top Bottom