Team QB Rankings (prepare to wince Bills and Jets fans) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Team QB Rankings (prepare to wince Bills and Jets fans)

FinfanInBuffalo

Perennial All-Pro
Club Member
Reaction score
Read it and weep (or laugh)

32. Buffalo
Just a total disaster area. J.P. Losman looked terrible last year, and according to the rookie projection system, no recent first-round pick is less likely to become a productive NFL starter. Backing up Brett Favre is much like being the Maytag repairman, so nobody knows what to expect from Craig Nall. Kelly Holcomb is the other option.

Ouch.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5764156

26. New York Jets
Once upon a time, Chad Pennington was one of the league's most promising young quarterbacks. He finished second in DPAR in 2002, behind only Rich Gannon. But after constant shoulder problems, it's hard to tell how well he can still play. Patrick Ramsey isn't going to lead a team to victory on his own, although he would probably do well as a Trent Dilfer-like game manager quarterback on a team built around defense and the running game. Don't be surprised if second-rounder Kellen Clemens is the starter by December, but while Clemens has plenty of promise and could end up as one of the best picks in the 2006 draft, he's not going to win many games as a rookie.

Not bad and certainly nothing wrong with it.

Of course, not one of these off season rankings ever meant a lick of substance once the season starts.

BZ

WE might as well post the rest of the AFC East.

2. New England

Tom Brady has already secured his spot in the Hall of Fame, but if he's injured, the Patriots are in serious trouble. Matt Cassel hasn't started a game since high school, and until the Patriots sign a veteran of some sort, their third-string quarterback is undrafted rookie Corey Bramlett.

10/11. New Orleans and Miami

It's really hard to tell which of these two teams is better off because there are so many questions. Which is worse, the possible long-term shoulder damage from Brees's torn rotator cuff or the likelihood that Culpepper's ACL injury has robbed him of his mobility? Which of these two guys is coming back first, and at what strength? Who is the real Daunte Culpepper  the guy from 2004 who had one of the best quarterback seasons in history, the guy from 2005 who looked horrible, or some guy halfway in between? Is the disappointing Joey Harrington a better or worse backup than run-of-the-mill veteran Jamie Martin? Will Adrian McPherson ever actually play, and do the Saints pay him through direct deposit?

Matt Cassel hasn't started a game since high school

But if your name is Rick Speilman he is the best thing since sliced bread, PS dont tell him there's sliced bread.

MR NFLFAN said:
WE might as well post the rest of the AFC East.

2. New England

Tom Brady has already secured his spot in the Hall of Fame, but if he's injured, the Patriots are in serious trouble. Matt Cassel hasn't started a game since high school, and until the Patriots sign a veteran of some sort, their third-string quarterback is undrafted rookie Corey Bramlett.

10/11. New Orleans and Miami

It's really hard to tell which of these two teams is better off because there are so many questions. Which is worse, the possible long-term shoulder damage from Brees's torn rotator cuff or the likelihood that Culpepper's ACL injury has robbed him of his mobility? Which of these two guys is coming back first, and at what strength? Who is the real Daunte Culpepper — the guy from 2004 who had one of the best quarterback seasons in history, the guy from 2005 who looked horrible, or some guy halfway in between? Is the disappointing Joey Harrington a better or worse backup than run-of-the-mill veteran Jamie Martin? Will Adrian McPherson ever actually play, and do the Saints pay him through direct deposit?

I don't have a problem with that.

I'll admit...Tom Brady, IMO, is the 2nd best QB in the NFL. He's great.

But, as a team overall, we have cought you, New England. On a talent standpoint, and a coaching staff standpoint.

It's true. We only finished one game behind you in the AFC East standings last year. And the game in Miami, which you won, was lost by us on one single drop.
If Randy Mac catches that pass before halftime, we AT LEAST go up 10-0.

And don't bring up the injury excuse. You lost a bunch of clutch players while we gained talent at crucial positions in the offseason.

Like I said, Tom Brady is great. But Daunte Culpepper is a top 7 QB in the NFL too.
And when you add that production at the QB spot to the rest of our team, you better look out.

It'll be a good race. Good luck.

DolphinDevil28 said:
I don't have a problem with that.

I'll admit...Tom Brady, IMO, is the 2nd best QB in the NFL. He's great.

But, as a team overall, we have cought you, New England. On a talent standpoint, and a coaching staff standpoint.

It's true. We only finished one game behind you in the AFC East standings last year. And the game in Miami, which you won, was lost by us on one single drop.
If Randy Mac catches that pass before halftime, we AT LEAST go up 10-0.

And don't bring up the injury excuse. You lost a bunch of clutch players while we gained talent at crucial positions in the offseason.

Like I said, Tom Brady is great. But Daunte Culpepper is a top 7 QB in the NFL too.
And when you add that production at the QB spot to the rest of our team, you better look out.

It'll be a good race. Good luck.

"Like I said, Tom Brady is great. But Daunte Culpepper is a top 7 QB in the NFL too."
Well not according to fox sports. they have him at a questionable 10/11 spot contingent on his recovery. Miami has improved over the wanny years but I wouldn't go as far as saying you have "caught" NE just yet. You still have to prove these "clutch players" can actually play in the Saban scheme and although it might look good on paper that why they play the games on the field. Nobody in the league stood still this offseason so we'll have to wait and see who really improved the most. I do know one thing the Team that needed to improve the least and still win the east was NE. What we needed mostly was to get healthy and stay that way.

"If Randy Mac catches that pass before halftime, we AT LEAST go up 10-0." :shakeno:

Well thats as you say at halftime, not the best prediction for the out come plus NE had a ton of players hurt and out. Light, Harrison, Seymour and about 5 CB's. Now if you want to play the IF game well then IF Belichick stays with starters longer than the first qtr in week 17 Miami finishes @ 8-8. Squeaking by a teams bench by 2 points isn't exactly a power show down. Cassel may not have started a game since high school but he played 3 qtrs of that game and played pretty respectable ball. Respectable enough to close to within 2 and to this day I swear Belichick told him to throw the ball away on the 2 point conversion. Weather he actually did or not we'll never know but after watching the flutie drop kick and the laughter on the sideline it was obvious he didn't care to win that game.

You have your opinion about these ranking and i have mine and I don't agree with fox sports rankings Brady should have been the #1 QB and Peyton #2. I rather have Brady as my QB when the pressure is on than peyton the choke artist. Stats look good on paper but so far i don't see Peyton wearing a ring.

MR NFLFAN said:
"Like I said, Tom Brady is great. But Daunte Culpepper is a top 7 QB in the NFL too."
Well not according to fox sports. they have him at a questionable 10/11 spot contingent on his recovery. Miami has improved over the wanny years but I wouldn't go as far as saying you have "caught" NE just yet. You still have to prove these "clutch players" can actually play in the Saban scheme and although it might look good on paper that why they play the games on the field. Nobody in the league stood still this offseason so we'll have to wait and see who really improved the most. I do know one thing the Team that needed to improve the least and still win the east was NE. What we needed mostly was to get healthy and stay that way.

"If Randy Mac catches that pass before halftime, we AT LEAST go up 10-0." :shakeno:

Well thats as you say at halftime, not the best prediction for the out come plus NE had a ton of players hurt and out. Light, Harrison, Seymour and about 5 CB's. Now if you want to play the IF game well then IF Belichick stays with starters longer than the first qtr in week 17 Miami finishes @ 8-8. Squeaking by a teams bench by 2 points isn't exactly a power show down. Cassel may not have started a game since high school but he played 3 qtrs of that game and played pretty respectable ball. Respectable enough to close to within 2 and to this day I swear Belichick told him to throw the ball away on the 2 point conversion. Weather he actually did or not we'll never know but after watching the flutie drop kick and the laughter on the sideline it was obvious he didn't care to win that game.

You have your opinion about these ranking and i have mine and I don't agree with fox sports rankings Brady should have been the #1 QB and Peyton #2. I rather have Brady as my QB when the pressure is on than peyton the choke artist. Stats look good on paper but so far i don't see Peyton wearing a ring.

Well, ****, we better cancel the season.

Hell, Fox Sports said Tom Brady is better than Daunte!

How dare we have hope!

DolphinDevil28 said:

Not last year.

The question is, can he come back to what he once was over two years ago?

BZ

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Read it and weep (or laugh)

32. Buffalo
Just a total disaster area. J.P. Losman looked terrible last year, and according to the rookie projection system, no recent first-round pick is less likely to become a productive NFL starter. Backing up Brett Favre is much like being the Maytag repairman, so nobody knows what to expect from Craig Nall. Kelly Holcomb is the other option.

Ouch.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5764156

What the he!l is the "rookie projection system" anyways??? San Diego gets 10 places higher than Buffalo with a QB who has been in exactly 1 NFL game -- and didn't look all that great while he was at it -- with back-ups A.J. Feeley and Charlie Whitehurst?

Good grief, even if Losman is a bust (which I doubt), at least Holcomb is competent which is more than anyone can say for Feeley!

I have a great pic of a big, black crow sitting on a bird feeder in my back yard that I expect to be emailing to Aaron Schatz and several other "experts" come the end of the season. :D

22. San Diego

The good news: Philip Rivers scores higher in our rookie projection system than any other recently drafted quarterback. He started a whopping 49 games at North Carolina State and his completion percentage of 72 percent as a senior is an ACC record. Many people question the choice of Rivers over Drew Brees, but many people questioned the decision to start Carson Palmer over Jon Kitna in Cincinnati and that turned out pretty well. The bad news: The rookie projection system predicts how good a quarterback will be over his career, not in his rookie season alone. And if Rivers falters or gets injured, the Chargers have no depth. A.J. Feeley has been awful since leaving Philadelphia, and 2006 third-rounder Charlie Whitehurst isn't going to be ready any time this year. this year.

Kinzua said:
What the he!l is the "rookie projection system" anyways???

I hope it is the most accurate statistical projection system in the history of the world!!!!!!!

J.P. Losman looked terrible last year, and according to the rookie projection system, no recent first-round pick is less likely to become a productive NFL starter

Like music to my ears....

I just can't stop grinning over that quote.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
I hope it is the most accurate statistical projection system in the history of the world!!!!!!!

Like music to my ears....

I just can't stop grinning over that quote.

Here's the dope on the "rookie projection system" ...
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5449322

The inventor is some guy named David Lewin from FootballOutsiders.com and Aaron Schatz is from the same website.

I wouldn't put much hope in it ... this might be the same pair that came up with a statistical package to rate QBs -- and listed Kelly Holcomb as the highest rated deep passer in the league!!!! :sidelol: Honest, there's somebody out there who actually "proved" this and published it on the web!!:sidelol:

Kinzua said:
Here's the dope on the "rookie projection system" ...
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5449322

The inventor is some guy named David Lewin from FootballOutsiders.com and Aaron Schatz is from the same website.

I wouldn't put much hope in it ... this might be the same pair that came up with a statistical package to rate QBs -- and listed Kelly Holcomb as the highest rated deep passer in the league!!!! :sidelol: Honest, there's somebody out there who actually "proved" this and published it on the web!!:sidelol:

Obviously, no system is 100% accurate, no matter how good it is. There is no guarantee that Losman will fail, as this article suggests. Losman clearly has physical skills. It is too early to claim he is a bust. There are signs from Losman that I would be worried about if I were a Bills fan, but success is still a possibility. I have no choice but to hope he fails. Personally a long, drawn out, agonizing career failure with the Bills would be the most satisfying.

JP, please don't go up in flames. Show enough promise each year to convince the Bills fans and management that "next year" will be "the year". 10-12 years from now, retire from the Bills with a career winning % of 45%. That is all I ask for. :cooldude:

DolphinDevil28 said:
Well, ****, we better cancel the season.

Hell, Fox Sports said Tom Brady is better than Daunte!

How dare we have hope!

Well Brady is better than Culpepper thats a no brainer but It wasn't why I posted the rest of the fox sports QB's rankings. It was to show that according to fox sports every team in the AFC east has a question mark at either 1st QB or his back up not just the bills and the jets. Nothing wrong with having hope and optimisim and I know your all excited but Miami hasn't got a lock on anything yet just as NE, Bills or the jets don't and who's caught who remains to be seen. What you think you have on paper doesn't always show that way on the field......That is why they play the games.

DolphinDevil28 said:

Coaching standpoint? You've got to be kidding me. Billicheck is miles ahead of anyone in the AFCE, hell ahead of pretty much every coach in the NFL man.

2005 Stats:

JP Losman -- 8 starts, 8 TDs, 8 INTs

Daunte Culpepper -- 7 starts, 6 TDs, 12 INTs

Just throwin' that out there for those who think Losman is a sure bust.

Back
Top Bottom