The Bleach Report has the Phins Drafting | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Bleach Report has the Phins Drafting

Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense

Defense is obviously a huge need but so is a playmaker on offense.

Anyone who says RB isn't a need is crazy. Ricky will be 33 and in his last year. He will be an injury risk at that age. Ronnie should be given the 2nd round tender so hopefully he gets signed by another team and we get the 2nd rounder. Lex is an average RB3 but nothing more. Cobbs is also an average RB3 who will be coming off an injury. RB is a huge, huge need.

CJ Spiller would make an excellent pick at 1.12.

Especially if we could fill NT, LB and FS in FA with Vince Wilfork, Kirk Morrison and Antrel Rolle respectively.

Then draft...

1.12 CJ Spiller
2a Golden Tate, Demaryius Thomas, Damian Willaims or Mardy Gilyard
2b, 3, 4, 5 OLBs and ILBs

The 2a pick would be acquired for Ronnie's 2nd round tender.
RB is the least of our worries this year. Especially in the first round. Hilliard filled in nicely, Sheets has promise, CObbs will be back and you can pick up another if you want in the later rounds. Our ground game is ranked #4 in the NFL.

Parcells will not take a RB in the first round and I agree. Why spend a high choice on a RB that has a shelf life of 4 years? Our ground game is fine. Our return game is fine. Those are not the priority.

When you have the 4th best running game and are ranked 28th at yards per play against it's pretty obvious where this choice and this off season will go.

If that logic were true then no one would draft Running Backs in the first round...

Also, as pointed out, you don't have to be a WR to help out in the passing game.

& god forbid, but if Ronnie gets hurt again (especially early in the year), I don't want 33 y/o Ricky to have to carry the load again for the rest of the season... I think it was obvious he was more comfortable as a back-up, and I think he made it obvious he doesn't like getting the grunt of the carries.. also they only let Lex Carry the ball 23 times ALL year... I don't think the coaching staff trust's him that much..

Our running game may be "fine" this year, but why not go for special? We also still don't know about Ronnie's contract situation.. whether we resign him, let him walk, or move him, etc. So I don't think it's crazy at this point to speculate about drafting a RB at 12, especially if he is the BPA.

If we end up signing a veteran LB or Wr in the off season (D'Qwell Jackson, Antonio Bryant), and Spiller falls to us at 12, he may very well be the pick.

Don't be shocked.

One more thing, I know there's alot of excitement about Chad Henne... and I'd love to see what he can do with talent at WideOut too, but Ideally I don't think they want him throwing over 25 times a game. I think if you follow the money it's clear that this team is being built to be a Ball Control, Run first, control the tempo type team.

....one more thing, Rolondo McClain/ Brandon Spikes aint no Patrick Willis....

If that logic were true then no one would draft Running Backs in the first round...

Also, as pointed out, you don't have to be a WR to help out in the passing game.

& god forbid, but if Ronnie gets hurt again (especially early in the year), I don't want 33 y/o Ricky to have to carry the load again for the rest of the season... I think it was obvious he was more comfortable as a back-up, and I think he made it obvious he doesn't like getting the grunt of the carries.. also they only let Lex Carry the ball 23 times ALL year... I don't think the coaching staff trust's him that much..

Our running game may be "fine" this year, but why not go for special? We also still don't know about Ronnie's contract situation.. whether we resign him, let him walk, or move him, etc. So I don't think it's crazy at this point to speculate about drafting a RB at 12, especially if he is the BPA.

If we end up signing a veteran LB or Wr in the off season (D'Qwell Jackson, Antonio Bryant), and Spiller falls to us at 12, he may very well be the pick.

Don't be shocked.

One more thing, I know there's alot of excitement about Chad Henne... and I'd love to see what he can do with talent at WideOut too, but Ideally I don't think they want him throwing over 25 times a game. I think if you follow the money it's clear that this team is being built to be a Ball Control, Run first, control the tempo type team.

....one more thing, Rolondo McClain/ Brandon Spikes aint no Patrick Willis....
We are not talking about anybody. We're talking about Parcells. He has never and will never draft an RB in the first round.

I don't see Ronnie coming back. I think they let him test his RFA or hopefully trade him. Cobbs is young and will be back, Hilliard played fine in his back up roll to Ricky and Sheets has promise. You can compliment that with a late round choice.

The OL does alot for the running game. Look at the Broncos and why for years they excelled at taking late round picks and making them into solid backs.

Why go for special when you have fine over needing decent when you have mediocre?

And yes you're right. Patrick Willis is a beast.

We are not talking about anybody. We're talking about Parcells. He has never and will never draft an RB in the first round.

I don't see Ronnie coming back. I think they let him test his RFA or hopefully trade him. Cobbs is young and will be back, Hilliard played fine in his back up roll to Ricky and Sheets has promise. You can compliment that with a late round choice.

The OL does alot for the running game. Look at the Broncos and why for years they excelled at taking late round picks and making them into solid backs.

Why go for special when you have fine over needing decent when you have mediocre?

Never say never. Parcells would probably never draft a project QB in round 2, either.

You "hope" we go into the season with Ricky, Lex, Cobbs? I don't. Ricky would probably retire on our ***** if they told him he was the #1 going into the season, I really think he would... Lex, Sheets, Cobbs, all 3rd stringers at best ideally.

Broncos only won the Superbowl when they got T.D. Broncos just drafted a RB in round 1. T.D. was a talented back, not just the product of a system.

Just saying, with a whole offseason ahead of us, don't count it out.

Parcells has taken RBs in the first round. In 1985 he took George Adams with the 19th pick. In 1990 he took Ronnie Hampton with the 24th pick. In 1998 he surrendered his 1st and 3rd round draft choices to bring Martin to the Jets.

That being said I agree with you. Parcels and the loves to pick defense and mainly LBs and DEs. When I researched that about the RBs the majority of his first round choices were DE or LB. He also coined the phrase, "globe theroy" saying there are not many athletic 300lb men on this planet, so when you get chance to grab one don't miss it. He loves to take defense, and loves to win with defense, and our defense was awful this season. You people can imagine were taking Spiller or Dez, but the smart money has Parcels and Sparano going defense early and often. It is hard to assume names right now. Some of these guys could still get injured in their last NCAA game. Some could run a awful 40 in Indy, and other could bomb the wonderlic test. Based on Bryant's charicter he could rape a tranvestite hooker then feed it to pigs. You just never know. My money if I was forced to bet would be on Cody or Spears. If Berry or McClain slip or we move up they would be smart guesses as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never say never. Parcells would probably never draft a project QB in round 2, either.

You "hope" we go into the season with Ricky, Lex, Cobbs? I don't. Ricky would probably retire on our ***** if they told him he was the #1 going into the season, I really think he would... Lex, Sheets, Cobbs, all 3rd stringers at best ideally.

Bronco's only won the Superbowl when they got T.D. Bronco's just drafted a RB in round 1. T.D. was a talented back, not just the product of a system.

Just saying, with a whole offseason ahead of us, don't count it out.
Normally I never say never and you got me on Pat White.

The Broncos drafted an RB one this year but it's a different regime. Recall they got TD in the 6th and then after he got hurt the back up (can't remember his name) excelled then when he went down the 3rd stringer (Mike Anderson) picked up where they left off. For years they could take cast offs and late round picks and make them productive which is all you need at that spot. Chris Johnson is special and I would never turn him down, I just wouldn't draft, nor do I belive Parcells will, a luxory pick when there are other critical needs.

But then I think about Pat White.........................:ponder:

Parcells has taken RBs in the first round. In 1985 he took George Adams with the 19th pick. In 1990 he took Ronnie Hampton with the 24th pick. In 1998 he surrendered his 1st and 3rd round draft choices to bring Martin to the Jets.
You got me on Adams and Hampton but he didn't draft Martin. He signed him as a RFA.

I think that is a little known fact about Parcells. Nice work.

Adding 10 carries per game more important than a go-to #1 WR on a team loaded with 2's and 3's? Death to the bleach report. They've still got Dez Bryant on the board! I like C.J. Spiller, but that's an absolute joke. If Bryant and McClain are both gone, THEN I'd consider Spiller along with guys like Spikes and Kindle.

They clearly have no idea what they're talking about. Sparano even said now that we have a quaterback, were going to be going back to the conventinal style. They only started the wild cat because we had Ronnie and Ricky and they wanted to take advantage of that.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Since when was Chad Pennington not a solid quarterback? You think that because Henne came in a won 7 games that he's our QB and the wildcat is no more? That statement is so ridiculous, I swear you made it up. Henne isn't even guaranteed to be starting next year. No way Sparano said that.

The Wildcat isn't going anywhere. We definitely didn't reduce the Wildcat while Ronnie was healthy, therefore, it isn't just going to be taken out.

If he's as advertised, you don't think that will help the passing game?

No, because we already have a full stable of RBs who can catch. Ronnie, Ricky, and Cobbs are all excellent receivers. Hilliard had a big receiving game when he actually got on the field. Even Polite has demonstrated that he can catch the ball.

We need two new starting receivers and a #1 TE, not yet another option out of the backfield. Henne's YPA needs to go up. This happens by throwing forward, not side to side.

Don't get me wrong: going forward, the RB position will become a bigger need as Ricky prepares for retirement and Ronnie recovers from injury. But it's not a bigger need than FS, WR, ILB, TE, OLB, or NT. Not with the depth we've accumulated at the position over the last two years. We can sign or draft a running back in 2011... presuming there isn't a labor lockout.

Back
Top Bottom