The Bleach Report has the Phins Drafting | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Bleach Report has the Phins Drafting

You got me on Adams and Hampton but he didn't draft Martin. He signed him as a RFA.

I think that is a little known fact about Parcells. Nice work.

I thanked your post because you were corrected, and said bravo instead of being defensive. Well played sir.

I did imply that he signed him when he restricted by saying he surrendered a 1st and 3rd round pick to "bring" Martin to the Jets.

I love watching fans over react to chances of taking a guy like Spiller two days after the regular season ended. We could sign Wilfork to fill our hole at NT, a solid FS, and a very good ILB before Apirl, and if Spiller dropped to us we could jump all over him, and Dolphin nation would be so excited at the prospect of haveing 3 guys that all could be starters at RB. Or Spiller could run 4.6 40, and find out he arthritis and no one will want him. My point is relax, as we have no idea what our needs will be in the draft, and untill our coaching staff, GM, and President, get a chance to evaluate these prospects we have no idea who we want or don't want.

I do know one thing(you can ask my wife it is only one thing) I have the utmost respect for our front office and making the right choices on draft day. They have so many starters from the past two drafts, the majority of the guys they took made the team. That is a very welcome change from misappropriation of draft picks we had to endure when Wanny, Saban, and Cam were in charge. I have so much confidence in them drafting that even if they took Dez Bryant, who I have said a 100 times I do not want, I would be ok with pick because I know they know a lot more than us, and if he put to rest all of their concerns it would be good enough for me.

If Parcells wants to draft Spiller in the 1st, he probably will couple that with a marquee O-Lineman or two. With Ronnie, Ricky, and C.J. you might as well just run the ball 50 times a game.

The chances of us using our first pick on a RB are about the same as Ted Ginn catching EVERY ball that's thrown within a foot of him for a complete 60 minutes.

I'm pretty sure I would need a new TV if we went after Spiller. No offense to the kid, he seems to be a playmaker, but we have a lot of pressing needs on the defensive side of the ball. The only weakness I see on the offense is WR, which at this point would be a luxury IMO. We need to get a little more speed on the defensive side of the ball. Maybe McClain (Bama) or Spikes (UF). If not LB then I want Earl Thomas (Texas), seeing that Berry will be gone before we can say his name.

Spiller at #12 would be tremendous value...much like Crabtree slipping to the 49ers last year

So if Spiller falls to 12, then teams might decide to trade with us to get him?

That would be a good thing for the Dolphins.

Dude hes not just a return guy. He will be a premier running back and this best in this years draft hands down..

The guy is just REALLY small.........and really fast. Reminds me of someone we already have on the team, his initials are TG.
I know Desean Jackson is the other side of the argument.....and he IS amazing so i can see your point. You would just think they want a sure thing instead of a risk when paying that much dough.

The chances of us using our first pick on a RB are about the same as Ted Ginn catching EVERY ball that's thrown within a foot of him for a complete 60 minutes.

You just never know. Ronnie can be traded or maybe he won't be 100% ever, especially with that type of foot injury. In addition, Ricky is entering his final season and all of a sudden we are left with no special running backs. Don't be surprised at all if we pick Spiller in the first. Personally, I would be estactic with either Mcclain/Spikes, Dez Bryant, or CJ Spiller.

Scouts INC has CJ with a draft grade of a 95, and that would make give him the highest grade of any non o-lineman offensive player. Just about every other website I have seen have Suh or Berry as the best player in the draft, then Spiller has been 3rd or 4th. How would it be bad if we were able to get the best offensive player in a draft while picking at #12? That would be quite a steal. Keep in mind these grades mean nothing, as many websites have players rated higher than 90 before they really get evaluated at the SR bowl, combine, and pro days, when it usualy drops to 2-3 players above a 90.

Keep in mind I would be upset if they grab anyone on offense if they do not have a serious plan to fix our needs at LB and FS(probably NT as well,) but we could have those players locked down before the draft, as FA starts in March. We could also decide to grab Marshall and draft Spiller, and just go the route of Indy, and hope our offense is so good it won't matter how bad our defense is. Not to mention we have Ricky for one more season, and Ronnie is probably one more season ending injury from it being a career ending injury, so if we have a shot to fix that a year early it might not be bad.

All that being said if McClain drops to 12 and we pass him for anyone in this draft(outside of Berry) my TV will probably be broken.

C.J. Spiller thinks endzone every time he touches the ball. I can think of no greater playmaker to add to the offense this offseason than him. If he's there you take him, even over Dez Bryant.

i think they have hopes that sheets become that player with 20 touches a game 10 rushes and 10 recepts

Yeh lets spend our first pick overall on a freakin return guy. Oh wait we did that with Sham Cameron. Nevermind.

Spiller averaged 6 yards per carry from the RB slot for his career with a suspect OL. He is hardly just a 'return guy'. Yes, he does hold the all-time NCAA record for KO returns for TD, but don't hold that against him. While Ginn looks for the sideline on returns, Spiller looks for the endzone.

The guy is just REALLY small.........and really fast. Reminds me of someone we already have on the team, his initials are TG.
I know Desean Jackson is the other side of the argument.....and he IS amazing so i can see your point. You would just think they want a sure thing instead of a risk when paying that much dough.

My personal feelings is Spiller is as much of a sure thing in the draft as there is. He is 5'11", and around 200 lbs, runs a 4.3 or better. That sounds a lot like a guy who plays for a team in the NFL that likes to run the ball a lot and just rushed for 2006 yards this year and had another 503 yards in receiving.

Or how about the guy that just won offensive rookie of the year that is 5'11, 190 lbs. That lines up in the slot, backfield, wildcat, returns kicks. I am not saying draft Spiller, but I love this guys play making ability. I have watched him for 4 years and this guy might be small but he is tough as nails and has world class speed. Like Johnson, Harvin and Jackson he is a football player no matter his size, and like those guys he has the intangible of speed which can not be taught, and is something Miami is missing on both sides of the ball.

Just like I said last year Harvin was the best playmaker in the draft and you find somewhere to get him on the field and he will produce. Spiller is the same way. He has scored a TD in every game this year and done it by rushing, catching, and returns. If they don't pick him and chose to go defense of Bryant I am fine with that, but I guarantee he is on their radar and he is head and shoulders the football player White is and they took him at #44 last year. Spiller will bring instant offense to ANY team that drafts him.

No, because we already have a full stable of RBs who can catch. Ronnie, Ricky, and Cobbs are all excellent receivers. Hilliard had a big receiving game when he actually got on the field. Even Polite has demonstrated that he can catch the ball.

Spiller's skillset is a combination of Marshall Faulk and Chris Johnson, he would be a considerable upgrade in the passing game. Having a RB that is capable of having a 700+ yards receiving in any given year will help any receiving core.

Think back to the 1999 Rams, having Isaac Bruce and Tory Holt made them a very good passing offense, but it was Marshall Faulk that made that offense great.

We need two new starting receivers and a #1 TE,

I strongly disagree that we need two new starting wide receivers. Brian Hartline played only 50-70% of the snaps this season and still managed over 500 yards receiving and 3 receiving touchdowns (+1 rushing TD). Hartline may never be that 1,500 yard/15 TD WR everyone wants, but there's no reason he can't be a very good #2 WR for a long time to come. For someone that's 6'2, he's got better quickness and speed than your typical "possession WR" and he can also get yards after the catch. Hartline is a keeper at WR.

I think we have our long-term #3 as well. Bess is one of the better slot receivers in the NFL.

As for needing a "#1 WR", completely agree. However, if Spiller is the BPA, we better pick him or trade down.

not yet another option out of the backfield. Henne's YPA needs to go up. This happens by throwing forward, not side to side.

Not true. A RB averaging 10 yards per reception catching 80% of the passes coming his way will help a quarterback's YPA (not to mention completion %) more than a WR averaging 13 yards per reception catching 60% of the passes coming his way.

Don't get me wrong: going forward, the RB position will become a bigger need as Ricky prepares for retirement and Ronnie recovers from injury. But it's not a bigger need than FS, WR, ILB, TE, OLB, or NT. Not with the depth we've accumulated at the position over the last two years. We can sign or draft a running back in 2011... presuming there isn't a labor lockout.

Where would the Titans be if they passed up Chris Johnson because they had bigger "needs". There were a lot of critics that hated the Chris Johnson pick, because Vince Young "needed a WR".

That's funny, last year I would've said "the chances of us picking a gimmick QB in the 2nd round is 0%".

Back
Top Bottom