The case against Landry | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The case against Landry

absoluteLance

For Head Coach
Reaction score
“Landry plays slot receiver as well as anyone in the game, but he’s also got the ability to surprise a defense by going deep.”

-palm beach post

Nope. not with an 8 yard catch average he doesn’t. Can you really justify this dude making more than Larry Fitzgerald money? AJ Green money? Dez Bryant money. No. He simply doesn’t have the speed or size to take the top off a defense. And that’s what those players bring with those contracts. We may have the best slot receiver in the league but he’s a slot receiver. He’s not going to beat top tier corners in the league with more size and speed. He’s a YAC yards guy. Let’s wake up and smell the roses that he’s A) a 10-12 million a year guy at best or B) First round draft pick bait for a WR needy team. 14-16 mil a year butchers this team when it comes to salary cap.

No what butchers this team are contracts for :
Kiko
branch
Wake
Pouncey
James
Thomas
Suh
Tannehill
And bad draft picks like Tunsil (a guard), Parker, Harris and Dion Jordan

The one person that has been productive and done what the team has asked, you dont want? Then when he goes to NE and tortures us for the next 7-8 years, you will cry about that too

First off love the player and would want him back..... But not at the amount he's asking for. He's simply not on the level of top 5 WR money and in my opinion not even top 10 WR money. I know people are gonna say but the intangibles.... Bla bla bla.

He's a GOOD WR and i do think his fire and passion are something this team needs but other than this year(contract year of course) he's averaged what like 4 TD's per year? I just don't think he's a difference maker on that level of what kind of money he wants.
I also think that's part of this teams problem is they over pay for good players way to often. Bottom line to me is what have we won with him? I'm pretty sure we could go 6-10 without him. I'm guessing we are gonna find out so we'll see.
Just ask yourself how many games since he's been here has he taken the game over and was the difference between a W and an L?
Just my $.02

This is a standard dolphins fan mentality. If someone like Larsen is top O lineman on our team. You think he deserves top o line money across the league.

Truth is. Landry is a solid #2 in the league and should be grateful for 10mil a year. Just because he’s the best WR we have doesn’t justify him being paid like a league wide #1 WR.

So his agent is quoted saying: "The best thing about his production is he's a guy who's done alot with a little."

All you can really do is laugh at this... It's actually the exact opposite... Only 5 WRs have been targeted more than Landry since he got drafted.

The market and his total production put him in the 10-12 range from what I can tell.

We’ve seen issues. As with Ajayi, what issues HAVENT we seen?

He might have gotten a bit big for his britches. Oh yes, he’s good. No one disputes that. Sure would like to keep him.

But not at the cost of neglecting other desperately needed (and much less expensive) positions. I’d rather have a couple of guards, a TE (two if Fasano hangs it up), a FB, QB, DE, and a couple LBs.

Just my opinion.

Landry's a good player, but it looks more and more like maybe he's no longer a good fit for the team, and all parties are starting to realize that.

There's no other way I can understand the team's decision to bash him through the press and Landry's decision to keep tweeting like a teenage girl about leaving + his agent bashing both the team and his teammates.

The question here will be whether or not Miami is actually able to allocate that extra cap room toward a player who will actually help the team win football games. At this point, I see little reason to believe that the team's actually going to make good use of that money.

Landry has a record number of catches since joining the league. However, this stat is NOT due to him being a "star" WR. His stats are artificially inflated because two coaching regimes prefer the short pass, and the team has failed miserably at building a good o-line. Too many times the play called is a short pass to Landry. Philbin said that this style of offense would be "dynamic and high-scoring", yet running the offense through Landry and the short pass has been the opposite of dynamic and high-scoring. Yes, Landry is the "star" in this style of offense, but this style of offense has proven to be mostly ineffective. Gase has also said that he prefers the short pass. Miami made the playoffs the other year not because Landry caught so many balls, but because Tannehill had success going deep to Stills which opened up the running game for Ajayi. The thing is that Tannehill had to roll out away from pressure to complete most of these passes due to the non-blocking o-line. This year, Cutler was not able to have the same success going deep as Tannehill did, so the offense reverted to the "just throw it to Landry" show. IMO, running the ball down an opponent's throat and being able to go deep (or at least spreading the ball around to different receivers) gives this team the best chance for success, but they need to fix the o-line to be consistent at it. Miami has spent years over-emphasizing the short pass to Landry, and how many playoff games have they won? Don't give Landry a huge contract. Use that money to upgrade the o-line, which will in turn improve the overall the offense (as long as they stop using the short pass as the focal point of their offense).

No what butchers this team are contracts for :
Kiko
branch
Wake
Pouncey
James
Thomas
Suh
Tannehill
And bad draft picks like Tunsil (a guard), Parker, Harris and Dion Jordan

The one person that has been productive and done what the team has asked, you dont want? Then when he goes to NE and tortures us for the next 7-8 years, you will cry about that too
Once again,don't let facts get in the way of your agenda. Most here really like the player but not at top WR money. Second, in what world would NE pay that kind of money for production they get out of Edelmen and Hogan and Amendola at a fraction of the price? Seems you don't mind overspending on a player when he is a favorite of yours. None of those Dolphin players you mentioned wanted top three money at their position like Jarvis does....In spite of you liking him, I would love to see him remain a phin.

Last edited:
Once again,don't let facts get in the way of your agenda. Most here really like the player but not at top WR money. Second, in what world would NE pay that kind of money for production they get out of Edelmen and Hogan and Amendola at a fraction of the price? Seems you don't mind overspending on a player when he is a favorite of yours. None of those Dolphin players you mentioned want top three money at their position like Jarvis does....In spite of you liking him, I would love to see him remain a phin.
Nice post bro. At this point I am ready for him and his agent to find another team.

It is just sad that most Dolphin fans are taking this opportunity to rail against the front office or the player. Half this fan base will be pissed whether we sign him or let him go
I like the player but not at the price he is commanding. I know his agent has a job to do, but I don't like the crap that is spewing right now. I am to the point let's move forward without him and concentrate on what we are doing as a team. Good luck to Jarvis.

Back
Top Bottom