The case against Landry | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The case against Landry

The way I see it, this issue is between the player and ownership. Whatever happens the monies not coming from my pocket. They'll work it out one way or another and the Miami Dolphins will go on. There's really no reason to bash either side at this point. People just like to lash out it seems.

Landry is a male Miko Grimes
LOL, hardly, if you remember 10% that came out of that (p)itches mouth, or should I say twitter

“Landry plays slot receiver as well as anyone in the game, but he’s also got the ability to surprise a defense by going deep.”

-palm beach post

Nope. not with an 8 yard catch average he doesn’t. Can you really justify this dude making more than Larry Fitzgerald money? AJ Green money? Dez Bryant money. No. He simply doesn’t have the speed or size to take the top off a defense. And that’s what those players bring with those contracts. We may have the best slot receiver in the league but he’s a slot receiver. He’s not going to beat top tier corners in the league with more size and speed. He’s a YAC yards guy. Let’s wake up and smell the roses that he’s A) a 10-12 million a year guy at best or B) First round draft pick bait for a WR needy team. 14-16 mil a year butchers this team when it comes to salary cap.

Landry has 3 negatives. 1 stupid penalties. 2 apparent inability to run proper routes. 3 unyieldinging desire to be paid as elite. Sadly, I feel the last one is the one that makes the difference.

The offense will come when we stop running it through a slot receiver as our best option to move the chains and thinking that if we just key on Landry we will average enough points per game to be relevant...not logical or doable....

....the slot receiver should be used because the main options are covered...or as a distraction to open up more lethal options...NOT as the main threat....is Landry valuable??? ABSOLUTELY....but to be worth more than 10 million a year he needs to line up on the outside and be a playmaker there...not the slot...he needs to score TD's to justify the kind of money he wants...he needs to be a threat...

He's not...

IMO
Well said.

Here comes that 8 yards per catch stuff

Yeah, I avoided the 8YPC argument specifically because I think a lot of that had to do with Cutler. His YPC in 2016 was fine. Better quarterback putting the ball in better places for RAC = better yards per catch.

But I do think there is a lot of merit to the argument that we could find someone else to catch volume passes like he does.

Basically my feeling is, if that's what we're going to use him for, then why the hell would we pay him 15 million dollars a year? And if you're Adam Gase and you're frustrated with him and you feel like you can't do anything but throw him screens and flares and gadget plays to get him open most of the time, then don't badmouth the guy to the press, just let him test free agency and see what happens.

The whole situation is stupid.

His agent only having a few players is not a bad thing. If anything, as a player, I'd be inclined to look at agents who only represent a few people, because that means they have more time available to devote to promoting me and landing the best deals possible for me.

I think the bigger issue here is that his agent just threw a live hand grenade at Mama Bear Gase and his quarterback cub room.
The problem I have with the agent is he attacked {Landry's teammates} the other receivers and other members of the offense including the QB who he owes a lot of his success. The article that Armando wrote was not news to most of us fans who have been paying attention. I am not a fan of negotiations in the media, however it is a totally different animal when you let your agent starts to attack his teammates. That is a line that is hard to walk back. If Landry does resign with the team he will have to have a lot of conversations with teammates to explain his agents statements.

But I guess to get back on the topic of the thread, I think the real case against Landry, if I were to make it, would be this:

1. Much of his production is scheme driven. Pointing to his number of catches is not really something in his favor. Yes, it's true that he is always available -- and that's a great trait for a football player -- but does anyone here think that Leonte Carroo or Jakeem Grant can't catch a screen pass? Or get schemed country mile open on a fake reverse action?

2. The Dolphins have not had an explosive offense when Landry is the primary target. In my mind, the best winning streak the team has had -- the most dangerous the offense has been during his time here -- happened in 2016 when our offensive identity was running the football and going downfield to Kenny Stills. I'd further add that we actually had Dion Sims catching a lot of underneath stuff during that run, and he was pretty good at it.

3. As the conclusion of points 1 and 2, does anyone here truly feel that Landry's production can't be replaced? Because I recall reading similar things here about Wallace and Bess. And even Hartline. Granted, I believe Landry is a better player than all three of those guys, but again, I ask, do you truly believe that we can't find another player to play his role?

So that's those are three factors you have to consider when examining...

4. Landry's production is not something we should consider irreplaceable, and he doesn't offer an exceptional downfield or jump ball threat. So that brings us to the question: Why should he be paid like someone who offers irreplaceable production OR an elite playmaking trait? Is "tough and passionate" really a pairing of elite traits that the team can't replace with a cheap draft pick?

And then we continue with an examination of Landry as the teammate, the person, and the guy outside the lines:

5. Domestic violence. Personal fouls. Fights. Ejections. Ending a guy's career with cheap shot block. Hotheaded behavior. Even if you like the guy, I think you have to agree that he behaves in an 'immature' manner quite frequently and has shown terrible judgment on and off the field far too often.

And finally,

6. Landry the student of the game. We have pretty much confirmed now (Thanks for the hit piece, Armando) that Landry was one of the players specifically called out by Adam Gase on that Friday afternoon after the Baltimore game. The press conference in which he said that some players weren't learning their responsibilities, weren't taking their work home with them, and caused him to make compromises on how he runs his offense. In other words, that Jarvis Landry was one of the players holding back our offense from reaching its full potential. That he was limiting the playbook.

That's the case against Jarvis Landry. A guy who is not worth 8% of the total amount of resources a team can allocate to its 53 man roster.

Now please keep in mind, this was the case AGAINST Jarvis Landry. I think you can also make a case FOR Jarvis Landry, but that's for another thread. :)
Well said.

Develop talent. Let them walk. 8-8. Rinse and repeat.

Also, develop talent and then pay everyone market rates instead of picking the right pieces and constantly refreshing the team via the draft: 8-8. Rinse and repeat.

Yeah, I avoided the 8YPC argument specifically because I think a lot of that had to do with Cutler. His YPC in 2016 was fine. Better quarterback putting the ball in better places for RAC = better yards per catch.

But I do think there is a lot of merit to the argument that we could find someone else to catch volume passes like he does.

Basically my feeling is, if that's what we're going to use him for, then why the hell would we pay him 15 million dollars a year? And if you're Adam Gase and you're frustrated with him and you feel like you can't do anything but throw him screens and flares and gadget plays to get him open most of the time, then don't badmouth the guy to the press, just let him test free agency and see what happens.

The whole situation is stupid.

At the end of the day I think this is all posturing. Is there a disconnect between what Miami thinks he’s worth and what juice feels he’s worth yeah I’m sure there is.

I’m not in love with miamis using the media to do it’s dirty work vibe I get here but I guess come rubber hits the road time we will find out just how far apart they are and who was willing to give in. I’d still bet on it being miami in the end.

As for the production to an extent yeah I agree with that but I think in 2017 the usage was more qb limitation than anything else.

If they pay up I guess we will get the answer.

Both these parties should meet in the middle here. And that’s not $12 mil per

And I don’t think replacing the running back like skill set as a wr on 3rd down is as easy as a lot of posters seem to think it is

So Landry was one of the players not studying or knowing assignments... Why the heck don't you bench him to send message?!

No what butchers this team are contracts for :
Kiko
branch
Wake
Pouncey
James
Thomas
Suh
Tannehill
And bad draft picks like Tunsil (a guard), Parker, Harris and Dion Jordan

The one person that has been productive and done what the team has asked, you dont want? Then when he goes to NE and tortures us for the next 7-8 years, you will cry about that too

He isn't gonna take low dollar on his money contract at his age. And NE doesn't need him.

At the end of the day I think this is all posturing. Is there a disconnect between what Miami thinks he’s worth and what juice feels he’s worth yeah I’m sure there is.

I’m not in love with miamis using the media to do it’s dirty work vibe I get here but I guess come rubber hits the road time we will find out just how far apart they are and who was willing to give in. I’d still bet on it being miami in the end.

As for the production to an extent yeah I agree with that but I think in 2017 the usage was more qb limitation than anything else.

If they pay up I guess we will get the answer.

Both these parties should meet in the middle here. And that’s not $12 mil per

And I don’t think replacing the running back like skill set as a wr on 3rd down is as easy as a lot of posters seem to think it is

It seems this is the time of year these reports come out. Article on PFT about the Steelers and Bell current contract issues, comparable to what they did when Brown's contract came up.

Back
Top Bottom