The Catch?

wazzy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
So I was watching the Tampa Bay/Washington game the score is 17-10 and

Tampa Bay goes long and gets the TD. Then they call it incomplete and its

challenged and they still call it incomplete. Everyone who was watching the

game knows what catch I am talking about I think it was a completion and it

was a BS call. I just want to hear your guys opinion on it.

yeah that was the correct call, the ball was movin and hit the ground

AquaInferno said:
The ball was moving non stop in his arms, that was no catch.

You can't say it was moving non-stop look at the catch on the highlights later and turn the tv off so you don't let the commentators hypnotize you! He made that catch and then his arm caused it to come loose. I admit it was a little loose before but he took 2 steps and his knee hit the ground before it really started coming loose IMO.

Maybe I am alone on this one and just wanted Tampa to win!

He had the ball and took 2 steps

The ball came out as he was going to the ground

To have possesion in thr field of play you must have 2 feet down and clear controll of the ball before hitting the ground

Now he caught it, had controll for both feet THEN was tackled and lost it, it should be a TD

Its like if he caught it at the 1 yard line and got two feet down and lost it going into the endzone, it would be a fumble, *or a challenge on whether he had possesion crossing the goal line*

The way I saw it he had two feet and possesion of the ball it should have been a catch

wazzy said:
So I was watching the Tampa Bay/Washington game the score is 17-10 and

Tampa Bay goes long and gets the TD. Then they call it incomplete and its

challenged and they still call it incomplete. Everyone who was watching the

game knows what catch I am talking about I think it was a completion and it

was a BS call. I just want to hear your guys opinion on it.

It was a correct call. When you have to go to the ground to make a catch, you must control it the entire way, even to the ground. If there's any movement or it comes loose, it's incomplete. It was the correct call and they call it that way for every team in the league (it happened to Miami in '02).

If you're to catch it standing up and run it, then fall and have it come loose, that's different.

wazzy said:
You can't say it was moving non-stop look at the catch on the highlights later and turn the tv off so you don't let the commentators hypnotize you! He made that catch and then his arm caused it to come loose. I admit it was a little loose before but he took 2 steps and his knee hit the ground before it really started coming loose IMO.

Incorrect. It was moving before the knee hit (saw it several times). Keep in mind some of us have DVR.

Doesn't matter anyway. As the officials explain, if it pops out when you hit the ground...incomplete. Keep in mind the play was reviewed.

Not sure why you all disagree with the call, this rule isn't exactly new. If you go to the ground to make the catch, you have to have control all the way into the ground. This one was pretty obvious. This happened in 2002 in the dolphins/jets game too, Chris Chambers.

Alex22 said:
He had the ball and took 2 steps

The ball came out as he was going to the ground

To have possesion in thr field of play you must have 2 feet down and clear controll of the ball before hitting the ground

Now he caught it, had controll for both feet THEN was tackled and lost it, it should be a TD

Its like if he caught it at the 1 yard line and got two feet down and lost it going into the endzone, it would be a fumble, *or a challenge on whether he had possesion crossing the goal line*

The way I saw it he had two feet and possesion of the ball it should have been a catch

Wrong. That's not how it works.

Whether you're in the open field or being tackled in the end zone, if you have to go to the ground to make a catch, you have to control it the entire way. This was explained properly by the officiating crew.

I'm not sure why you believe the call was wrong. This rule has been in effect since the 2000 season (because of the Bucs-Rams playoff game). It's been called in several other games, too.

RobFins2005 said:
Wrong. That's not how it works.

Whether you're in the open field or being tackled in the end zone, if you have to go to the ground to make a catch, you have to control it the entire way. This was explained properly by the officiating crew.

I'm not sure why you believe the call was wrong. This rule has been in effect since the 2000 season (because of the Bucs-Rams playoff game). It's been called in several other games, too.

Because he was 'going to the ground' he was upright and then slid to the ground, he was upright for 2 steps before he went down

Alex22 said:
Because he was 'going to the ground' he was upright and then slid to the ground, he was upright for 2 steps before he went down

That does not matter.

Did you not listen to what the officials said when they explained the call?

If you are being tackled either on the field or in the end zone, there can be no movement of the ball, it must be controlled.

didn't always used to be the case, but they changed it.

Keep on arguing all night it was a catch, the other 99% of the world knows it wasn't.

RobFins2005 said:
That does not matter.

Did you not listen to what the officials said when they explained the call?

If you are being tackled either on the field or in the end zone, there can be no movement of the ball, it must be controlled.

didn't always used to be the case, but they changed it.

Keep on arguing all night it was a catch, the other 99% of the world knows it wasn't.

If what was explained is what happend then yes thats right

BUT

That wasnt how it happend at all

The ball was not moving at all untill after he had already established possesion of it, and until after his knees hit the ground

Back
Top Bottom