The Catch? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Catch?

Mike Carey did a very good job of explaining his ruling and the reason behind his ruling.

Watch the play and learn the rule...if you come back and tell me that it was still a catch then I think people would have a hard time convincing you water is wet.

The ref didn't explain ****. He said, and I quote, "Even though the receiver's knees touched the ground, the ruling on the field stands." Then one of the goober announcers said, "That was an excellent job of explaining the call." It was not an excellent job of explaining the call. All the ref basically said was that it was an incomplete pass. He just said it differently.

The pass was completed, and it was a TD. That is the bottom line. The receiver caught the ball, protected it with one hand, the DB never touched the ball, and after his elbow hit the ground, the ball popped out. The ground made that ball pop out. Once again, the receiver took two steps after the ball was in his hands, and his knees went down while the ball was still in his hands. He protected the ball with one hand. All of this occurred before the ball came out. Only after he hit the ground, did the ball pop out. Those are the facts.

It was a bad call. It was unfortunate for Tampa Bay. I thought for sure they were going to call it a catch. It would have been fitting to the game as well. The Redskins couldn't put any points on the board on offense. Aside from those turnovers in the first quarter, TB shut the Redskins down. They were lucky to get that win.

The Seahawks will beat the Redskins next week, so it makes little difference for them. It just sucks to see the refs blow another big call.

Ball movement = the receiver isn't in control of the ball. The ball is plainly sliding up his chest a little bit as he's coming down. I'll agree that it was "close."

Bottom line is the ball came out, the officials made the correct ruling (and making those hard calls are what the refs are paid to do), and Tampa Bay lost the ball game.

mcteems said:
The ref didn't explain ****. He said, and I quote, "Even though the receiver's knees touched the ground, the ruling on the field stands." Then one of the goober announcers said, "That was an excellent job of explaining the call." It was not an excellent job of explaining the call. All the ref basically said was that it was an incomplete pass. He just said it differently.

And you quote? You could get sued for libel if you ever put that in print, because that is not what the official said. The official basically said it didn't matter that his knee hit the ground and referenced that since the ball came loose as the player hit the ground, just as it would have been in the regular field of play, it was an incomplete pass by rule. You obviously weren't listening.

The pass was completed, and it was a TD. That is the bottom line.

No, it wasn't.

The receiver caught the ball, protected it with one hand, the DB never touched the ball, and after his elbow hit the ground, the ball popped out. The ground made that ball pop out. Once again, the receiver took two steps after the ball was in his hands, and his knees went down while the ball was still in his hands. He protected the ball with one hand. All of this occurred before the ball came out. Only after he hit the ground, did the ball pop out. Those are the facts.

It was a bad call. It was unfortunate for Tampa Bay. I thought for sure they were going to call it a catch. It would have been fitting to the game as well. The Redskins couldn't put any points on the board on offense. Aside from those turnovers in the first quarter, TB shut the Redskins down. They were lucky to get that win.

The Seahawks will beat the Redskins next week, so it makes little difference for them. It just sucks to see the refs blow another big call.

You are wrong. Mike Pereira is going to stand by this one. It was the correct call. Go back and re-read the rules.

"When you are going to the ground, even though two feet hit and an elbow hits, when you hit the ground, you have to maintain control of the ball," league officiating director Mike Pereira said. "It's the same at the 50-yard line as it is in the end zone. It's the same inbounds as it is out of bounds. Even though the feet come down first, if the ball comes loose, which it did here, if you don't maintain control of the ball, then it's an incomplete pass."

I suggest you read that, over and over again. It's not even in reference to this play, but shows why you are wrong. But I guess I'll take your word for it, since you're an internet message board poster who obviously knows more than the head of officiating does :lol:

sorry he never maintained possession.It was a obvious call.

Again, SHOULD be obvious.

To all but about four people in this thread :)

Alex22 said:
He had the ball and took 2 steps

The ball came out as he was going to the ground

To have possesion in thr field of play you must have 2 feet down and clear controll of the ball before hitting the ground

Now he caught it, had controll for both feet THEN was tackled and lost it, it should be a TD

Its like if he caught it at the 1 yard line and got two feet down and lost it going into the endzone, it would be a fumble, *or a challenge on whether he had possesion crossing the goal line*

The way I saw it he had two feet and possesion of the ball it should have been a catch

dont mean to double post.It doesn't matter they explained it perfectly if your getting tackled in the end zone it doesn't matter if you get 2 feet inbounds you must control the ball the whole time while you are coming down with the ball.It was a great call.

Here's one more for good measure, since I'm sure everybody keeps ignoring this quote:

"When you are going to the ground, even though two feet hit and an elbow hits, when you hit the ground, you have to maintain control of the ball," league officiating director Mike Pereira said. "It's the same at the 50-yard line as it is in the end zone. It's the same inbounds as it is out of bounds. Even though the feet come down first, if the ball comes loose, which it did here, if you don't maintain control of the ball, then it's an incomplete pass."

:D

mcteems said:

The pass was completed, and it was a TD. That is the bottom line. The receiver caught the ball, protected it with one hand, the DB never touched the ball, and after his elbow hit the ground, the ball popped out. The ground made that ball pop out. Once again, the receiver took two steps after the ball was in his hands, and his knees went down while the ball was still in his hands. He protected the ball with one hand. All of this occurred before the ball came out. Only after he hit the ground, did the ball pop out. Those are the facts.

ugh He said "the recievers knees were hitting the ground as he was losing possession of the ball".Jeez last time I will explain it.

mcteems probably had money on the game or something

I think the play was a lot closer than some of you are saying. I can accept the refs explaination of the call but it was close. The back and forth here is a little goofy.

I don't see what was "close" about it. Yea, it looked that way before we saw the replay, but on the replay the ball clearly moved around a lot and grazed the ground.

It was exactly the same play they called against Chris Cha....

Oh dear I'm repeating myself. I think I've had enough of this thread.

This is the TUCK RULE 2006. He caught the ball, took two steps, then fell to his knee, all before "losing possession." Touchdown. The NFL is the most over-officiated game in professional sports.

I actually thought it was a TD. At first, he didn't have possession but then I though he had possession between his arm and his body before his knee hit. The commentators were being idiots as usual so I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom