The Cost Of Doing Business? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Cost Of Doing Business?

As wildly inaccurate as some of those are, let’s start here:

When the Dolphins drafted Billy Milner, Chris Grier was an intern.

For the Patriots.
Who was the Director of Pro Scouting for the Patriots back in 1994 who gave Chris his big break with his Journalism degree? Oh wait, it was non other than his father Bobby Grier. Nepotism at its finest!!! 😂

Who was the Director of Pro Scouting for the Patriots back in 1994 who gave Chris his big break with his Journalism degree? Oh wait, it was non other than his father Bobby Grier. Nepotism at its finest!!! 😂

Wait until you find out about his brother Mike.

We are hosed. We went all in with a coach in over his head and no offensive line.

We will lose a ton of talent this offseason because of the GM's roster mismanagement and piss poor draft record

We had all those picks and we ended up here. It's seriously depressing.

Add to that Danny crossman is still around...

Zero line on either side of the ball. Just dreadful. A first round wc appearance and rebuild starts again.
We traded many of those picks for expensive and very accomplished players. That changes the model from build via the draft.

I know. That's the joke part.
Yeah but at least his brother Mike played 14 seasons in the NHL… Chris was only rostered on UMASS Lowell football team for 2 seasons… He needed his dad’s help getting in the door with that Journalism degree!! 😂

We traded many of those picks for expensive and very accomplished players. That changes the model from build via the draft.
That’s the problem, you start a total rebuild and early in the rebuild draft a QB on a rookie contract, which makes you pivot quickly to stock the team with established expensive vets and abandone your rebuild. Whether you like Tua or not, a Qb should have never been picked that early in a total rebuild, Grier should have stocked his lines and drafted some skill players before selecting his QB with all those draft picks.

That’s the problem, you start a total rebuild and early in the rebuild draft a QB on a rookie contract, which makes you pivot quickly to stock the team with established expensive vets and abandone your rebuild. Whether you like Tua or not, a Qb should have never been picked that early in a total rebuild, Grier should have stocked his lines and drafted some skill players before selecting his QB with all those draft picks.
I think Ross’ age could have something to do with it?

We are hosed. We went all in with a coach in over his head and no offensive line.

We will lose a ton of talent this offseason because of the GM's roster mismanagement and piss poor draft record
1709660409514.gif

Now that’s a wee bit premature isn’t it?

I think Ross’ age could have something to do with it?

I doubt it.

The Dolphins have been a rather impulsive franchise under Ross and that's more just who he is as an Owner. I'd cite his philosophy and his strategic approach more than his age.

He's not going to hire a HC to whom he gives complete organizational authority like what Kraft gave Bill Belichick in NE or like Jed York gave Kyle Shanahan to come in and take over as HC of the 49ers.

Right or wrong, Ross expects to have input as the primary financial backer (which is understandable). Philosophically, he doesn't want to give up control to a single individual, instead preferring to have a group of people make decisions collectively. I think Ross & Grier are aligned in that vision which is why Grier hasn't really been challenged. He doesn't talk or act like a GM who's on the hot seat.

I think the Dolphins cleared the table more to acquire extra draft capital to ensure they could move up for the QB they wanted. In the end, nothing was going to be enough for Cincinnati to give up the #1 pick even though I'm sure many came calling for Burrow. We've heard the Dolphins were among several teams that picked up the phone.

I don't think it's fundamentally wrong to pick a QB if you believe he's really THAT good. John Elway went to a rather 'meh' organization and he ended up dragging the Broncos to several Super Bowls before Shanahan ever got there.

The problem is getting over that impulse of thinking you HAVE to draft one particular QB. Falling in love is typically the mistake. You have to trust that if you don't pick someone this year, you'll be able to come back and get someone else the next year. At the GM-level you can't be chasing players or falling in love. It's got to be a long-term project and you have to be okay with talent going to other teams if it's not in line with your plan.

I honestly don't think the Dolphins have any sort of plan though. They've continuously failed to find alignment among their key decision-makers and they're without any kind of real identity even today. They've continuously alienated the more veteran coaches including Parcells, Gailey and Fangio. They've had some real culture issues as well ranging from bully-gate to players not getting along with coaches to the whole blow-up with Flores.

Too often, Miami finds itself parting ways with people on explicitly bad terms and when that sort of thing happens over and over it's a disturbing trend.

And down goes Baker, down goes Baker. Granted not the biggest loss, although we have no replacement. Neither Hunt nor Wilkins nor Williams tagged either. Now it should be clearer what the cost of doing business is. What a total cluster. All to lock down Tua for the 5 and $250mm, when there is no rush and he can play out the 5th year option. I just do not get it. The object is to get better, not worse.

And down goes Baker, down goes Baker. Granted not the biggest loss, although we have no replacement. Neither Hunt nor Wilkins nor Williams tagged either. Now it should be clearer what the cost of doing business is. What a total cluster. All to lock down Tua for the 5 and $250mm, when there is no rush and he can play out the 5th year option. I just do not get it. The object is to get better, not worse.
I think Tua is living rent free in your head. It is Tua's fault that Baker got released?? You seem so obsessed with him that literally every post ends up exactly at the same place. I don't think anyone finds any mystery in how you feel about him.....

However, Baker was always going to be released. He is way overpaid for his production and apparently, just failed his physical. And while I always support our Fin players, I will be ok with not watching him chase a TE or RB across the middle of the field on their way to a 15 yard pick up.

I also wouldn't close the door on him being back on the team. I'm not sure what the team offered him (word is that he was offered a pay cut and declined), but I'm not sure how much better he will do on the open market than the Fins offer. You never know.....

I think Tua is living rent free in your head. It is Tua's fault that Baker got released?? You seem so obsessed with him that literally every post ends up exactly at the same place. I don't think anyone finds any mystery in how you feel about him.....

However, Baker was always going to be released. He is way overpaid for his production and apparently, just failed his physical. And while I always support our Fin players, I will be ok with not watching him chase a TE or RB across the middle of the field on their way to a 15 yard pick up.

I also wouldn't close the door on him being back on the team. I'm not sure what the team offered him (word is that he was offered a pay cut and declined), but I'm not sure how much better he will do on the open market than the Fins offer. You never know.....
i think you must wear tua footie pajamas to bed. all you do is defend every single thing about him. first of all it is not just baker. it is xavien howard, wilkins, williams, hunt, ogbah and baker now. and yes it is because of tua, who is going to get his deal. be careful what you wish for, because you are getting it

Back
Top Bottom