The Cost Of Doing Business? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Cost Of Doing Business?

Disappointing take.
However, shortly after coming into college as a top recruit, Phillips found out it wasn’t all fun and games, as injuries started to pile up. It was a sprained ankle in his freshman year that knocked him out for a few games, and then a concussion followed, limiting him to only six games played in 2017.

Then, that offseason, despite head coach Jim Mora leaving along with a mass exodus of players, Phillips stuck around.

His 2018 didn’t go much better. He was in a car accident that caused him to undergo multiple operations and remove multiple bones. Phillips played through pain for the first four weeks before he suffered another concussion and was advised to retire at just 19 years old.

Then, that offseason, despite head coach Jim Mora leaving along with a mass exodus of players, Phillips stuck around.

Now an Achilles and a contract coming up. If someone offers you something decent, you take it.

It’s not up to you.
does this make you happier - grier gets no credit from ME for the achane pick. it was clearly mcdaniel who wanted the kid. you can tell from mcdaniel's draft day reaction that achane was a player mcdaniel badly wanted. but to make you happy, i will give grier credit for eichenberg, dieter, billy milner, charles harris, dion jordan, iggy, channing tindall and michael egnew!

does this make you happier - grier gets no credit from ME for the achane pick. it was clearly mcdaniel who wanted the kid. you can tell from mcdaniel's draft day reaction that achane was a player mcdaniel badly wanted. but to make you happy, i will give grier credit for eichenberg, dieter, billy milner, charles harris, dion jordan, iggy, channing tindall and michael egnew!

As wildly inaccurate as some of those are, let’s start here:

When the Dolphins drafted Billy Milner, Chris Grier was an intern.

For the Patriots.

Yea, the team didn’t need one of the best CB’s and edge rushers in the league because they were loaded at talent
at those positions.
I am extremely happy you aren’t making the personnel decisions for the Dolphins.
Well, then sit back and enjoy the mass exodus this offseason. The problem with trading for star players is you give up BOTH picks and money. If you are gonna target star players do so via FA so you don’t lose your picks and you have some young cost-controlled players - which is the key to sustained success. There’s a time and place for going all-in, but was last years team really a true Super Bowl contender with a QB who’s never won a playoff game.

Now we are going to take a step back in talent. All for a one-year run.

"Without going out of your door You can know all things on Earth" seeing as this is the case, we must wait for may 15 2024 for a final determination.

The Always Patient VIPER

Well, then sit back and enjoy the mass exodus this offseason. The problem with trading for star players is you give up BOTH picks and money. If you are gonna target star players do so via FA so you don’t lose your picks and you have some young cost-controlled players - which is the key to sustained success. There’s a time and place for going all-in, but was last years team really a true Super Bowl contender with a QB who’s never won a playoff game.

Now we are going to take a step back in talent. All for a one-year run.
that is another annoying thing about the Chubb trade. he was about to be an FA, and they still gave up the first rounder in a rush to get him here. sure you could argue another team may have traded for him and signed him rendering that point moot. but we dont know that. something tells me once again we got snookered, and gave up much more than we needed to, and then on top of it bid against ourselves w regard to the contract we gave him. look at what his production and availability was - nowhere near the production and availability that commanded that type of contract. with all the moving pieces now and pressure on the cap, i hope our collective pencils are alot sharper this offseason

Last edited:
Phillips would be on my explore a trade list. Love the kid but he is injury prone, he was in college and now with the Achilles. I mean, don't give the kid away but if someone offers you a solid deal, I'd think about it.

I’m definitely no longer worrying about Phillips breaking the bank but I haven’t reached the point of a trade.

It is early, but as it stands now:
-We have lost Xavien Howard (mixed opinions but as of right now we have no known quantity as #2 starting CB) and Ogbah (who cares)
-We are rumored to be parting ways with Wilkins, Robert Hunt and Connor Williams, with Armstead remaining (who will probably not practice and miss half the games)
-Not heard much about Van Ginkel, but with Phillips and Chubb injured, he is pretty important

Is it actually possible that we will end up blowing all of these guys off the roster?
Why is this happening?
Are people optimistic that we will be better next year? If so, what has to happen and are you confident the front office can pull it off?

To reiterate, yes I know it is early, but we have a show to do today!!!! Discuss.....
It’s happening because the franchise went all in to win now while Tua was on his rookie deal, and others. so they traded for Hill, Ramsey, & Chubb all on big money deals.

Now it doesn’t make sense to pay Wilkins $22 million per when we can re-sign AVG, re-sign Raekwon Davis, sign a mid tier free agent Dtackle to add to the rotation, maybe a run stuffer, sign someone like Derick Henry, and also maybe sign another player such as Jadaveon Clowney (10 sacks last year playing for Weaver and the Ravens at a cost of ‘$2.5 million last year) with that same $22 million which is what the franchise tag would’ve cost on Wilkins and which is also probably what he is looking for per year. That’s 5 players including the player that would take his place in the Dline rotation.

We likely won’t keep Robert Hunt, as word on the street is he’s looking for a deal north of $16 million per which is a lot to pay for a guard. Conner Williams is injured, and the good news there is there is no rush to sign him as he would have to pass a physical first which takes time. The thought being here is if we do want to re-sign him, the $18 million we are recovering after June 1st from cutting X with a post June 1st designation will give us that opportunity and cap space if we so choose to take a run at Conner in the summer which from a timing stand point works out as he’s not as likely to go anywhere else until he’s ready to pass a physical. I would guess we would be able to get that done with him for 20 million guaranteed over 2 or 3 years if we want to.

Last edited:
It’s happening because the franchise went all in to win now while Tua was on his rookie deal, and others. so they traded for Hill, Ramsey, & Chubb all on big money deals.

Now it doesn’t make sense to pay Wilkins $22 million per when we can re-sign AVG, re-sign Raekwon Davis, sign a mid tier free agent Dtackle to add to the rotation, maybe a run stuffer, sign someone like Derick Henry, and also maybe sign another player such as Jadaveon Clowney (10 sacks last year playing for Weaver and the Ravens at a cost of ‘$2.5 million last year) with that same $22 million which is what the franchise tag would’ve cost on Wilkins and which is also probably what he is looking for per year. That’s 5 players including the player that would take his place in the Dline rotation.
I see it this way as well. $22M for Wilkins (assuming that is the number) is too much. We will certainly miss his intangibles with the team, it also allows for flexibility elsewhere on the roster.

I'm also seeing comments from the various talking heads of Chris Jones hitting close to the $30M per year for his services which could further push the DT market higher

Couldn't have said it better. You don't have this problem if you don't draft well.

I'm still hopeful on Wilkins, but he's going to get a significant salary somewhere.

Not as concerned about Hunt and Williams. They are obviously good players, but I feel easier to replace than Wilkins.

Definitely concerned about the pass rush, especially early season. We'll have to see how everything unfolds.
Except... we don't draft well.

Let's not pretend we're in this cap situation bc we drafted too well.

Back
Top Bottom