The Cost Of Doing Business? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Cost Of Doing Business?

When Wilkins gets Sun type treatment and signs for more money then tyreek hill, everyone will be ok with him leaving. It’ll be ok, everyone breath

We should start to see some moves made this week. The FO/HC were in Indy for the combine but they’re back now. First things first, we need to get under the cap and that has to happen by next week at the latest. we're almost 32mill over right now. All the talk about tagging Wilkins was a pipe dream.......they'd need to clear the 31mill plus another 20mill+ in order to have the space to tag him so he's hitting free agency along with Hunt, Williams and AVG among others. Hard to predict what we'll do with the draft till we see what we do with free agency.

Also, nobody knows what this team will look like right now. I'm waiting to see what happens with free agency but the fact is we're going to lose some talented players. We just don’t know how many or how we'll replace that. I think the OP has a legit question about the team but the answer at THIS point should be, we just don’t know.

The Dolphins are likely to lose Wilkins, Hunt, Williams, and AVG because the NFL has a salary cap and right now the Dolphins are still several million dollars over the cap.

I really don’t know why that is so hard for some people to understand. If there was no salary cap, I have no doubt Ross would be willing to spend whatever money is needed to sign all those players and any high priced free agents Grier and McDaniel wanted.

No one likes to see some of the top players on the roster leave in free agency but having to live within the cap limitations is just a fact of life in the NFL.

I wanted Jefferson over Jackson. And yes I think the way the Waddle trade worked out was unusual.

But Waddle has been very productive. Jackson took a while, as you mentioned, but he's turned out to be really good.

I believe Howard was Grier's first draft. Of course, he also drafted Tunsil and ended up trading him for a lot of assets.

Have to credit Grier for the trades, too, that brought Hill and Chubb.

If you look at Miami's roster, compared to the rest of the league, it's easily top 10.
I'm not anti Grier. He has some good qualities, and has had some fails, same as most GMs.

I have a hard time, however, looking at the Chubb acquisition as a positive move.

Between the draft capital and contract it was too much, IMO. It was a desperation attempt to somehow get a decent pass rush, when we were not good enough all around to make it worthwhile.

I'm not anti Grier. He has some good qualities, and has had some fails, same as most GMs.

I have a hard time, however, looking at the Chubb acquisition as a positive move.

Between the draft capital and contract it was too much, IMO. It was a desperation attempt to somehow get a decent pass rush, when we were not good enough all around to make it worthwhile.
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have listed Chubb.

He certainly hasn't been terrible, but I do think Miami overpaid a little for him. A 2nd and 4th would have been easier to take.

But at least we know Grier can be bold. I think that's mostly a good quality for a GM.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have listed Chubb.

He certainly hasn't been terrible, but I do think Miami overpaid a little for him. A 2nd and 4th would have been easier to take.

But at least we know Grier can be bold. I think that's mostly a good quality for a GM.

I agree and I certainly like that last bit. I too appreciate that Grier is bold. At the very least, it does make things interesting.

And TBH, the failure of this past rebuild was really (1) injuries and (2) drafting in the mid-rounds, neither of which are direct downsides of being bold.

A lot of the best available options were injured guys. Chubb and Armstead had both battled injury in their careers, rarely if ever playing a full season. Both Tua and Phillips had concussions in college and were seen as major question marks more for health reasons than performance.

Injury was just our cross to bare. It never seemed like we were given great options. We just had to take the risk(s) we did. It is what it is.

Still, it does feel like our past window has closed. We built up the roster and replaced the HC to try and capitalize on the "QB on a rookie contract" thing. For whatever it's worth, we gave it a good run but came up short.

It sure feels like 2024 is the beginning of another rebuild.

Last edited:
We should start to see some moves made this week. The FO/HC were in Indy for the combine but they’re back now. First things first, we need to get under the cap and that has to happen by next week at the latest. we're almost 32mill over right now. All the talk about tagging Wilkins was a pipe dream.......they'd need to clear the 31mill plus another 20mill+ in order to have the space to tag him so he's hitting free agency along with Hunt, Williams and AVG among others. Hard to predict what we'll do with the draft till we see what we do with free agency.

Also, nobody knows what this team will look like right now. I'm waiting to see what happens with free agency but the fact is we're going to lose some talented players. We just don’t know how many or how we'll replace that. I think the OP has a legit question about the team but the answer at THIS point should be, we just don’t know.
well said....fingers crossed

agree chubb deal is a big part of the problem.
i think big picture they shoved all their chips into last year, trying to take advantage of fact Tua was still on rookie deal and had only a $9mm cap hit.
the other part of the problem is high $FA's we had to sign because drafting failed, including the other ones we traded for.
anyway, they went for it, but now the bill is coming due, sadly at not a great time. it is too bad we have a few really good players hitting the market at the same time we are way over the cap and will have to pay up for tua. this is poor management by grier to structure things so all of this hits at once. that is what is causing the problem. it is just too much to manuever around

Grier was an idiot to go all in on a team who had not yet won a playoff game. Never should have traded for Chubb or Ramsey.
Yea, the team didn’t need one of the best CB’s and edge rushers in the league because they were loaded at talent
at those positions.
I am extremely happy you aren’t making the personnel decisions for the Dolphins.

Lmao! We literally have 1 healthy D linemen ans 2 O linemen worth a damn and 1 is hurt half the season and that is a result of good drafting? Good Lord dude, what kind of dope you smoking?
I guess whatever you were smoking when you read my post.

I never even used the word "draft", let alone made a value judgment on how well they have drafted.

But don't let the literal words in my post derail your agenda.

Yup....probably a year too soon. I felt this was a bust in year 1 of Chubb being here.....however last year I think this started to pay off and a good part of that was the play of Phillips on the other side.

No question it was expensive......

Yup....probably a year too soon. I felt this was a bust in year 1 of Chubb being here.....however last year I think this started to pay off and a good part of that was the play of Phillips on the other side.

No question it was expensive......
chubb was meaningless his first year here, last year was better, but then he got hurt at end when it mattered most, now will be out most of this year and no idea what he will be when he gets back. you look at what we gave up in exchange for what we got (including no playoff wins with him), it is a terrible deal (and now the cap consequences are being felt too it has implications). ravens were smarter. got roquan smith, better player, doesnt get hurt, gave up less draft capital, waited till end of season to re-sign him as opposed to throwing the bag at him without him taking a snap, and ended up paying him a fair bit less than we paid chubb too

Chubb was a difference making force on the field this year. Injuries happen.......not something you can typically predict.

We paid a lot for Chubb, no question, but the deal is done and constantly crying about it isn't going to change anything. Also, I'm not sure where you are hearing that he will be out most of this year. That is not what I understand at all.....

Back
Top Bottom