The Cost Of Doing Business? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Cost Of Doing Business?

It is early, but as it stands now:
-We have lost Xavien Howard (mixed opinions but as of right now we have no known quantity as #2 starting CB) and Ogbah (who cares)
-We are rumored to be parting ways with Wilkins, Robert Hunt and Connor Williams, with Armstead remaining (who will probably not practice and miss half the games)
-Not heard much about Van Ginkel, but with Phillips and Chubb injured, he is pretty important

Is it actually possible that we will end up blowing all of these guys off the roster?
Why is this happening?
Are people optimistic that we will be better next year? If so, what has to happen and are you confident the front office can pull it off?

To reiterate, yes I know it is early, but we have a show to do today!!!! Discuss.....
Zero confidence because it’s just not doable. There’s no money to retain or replace these guys and next yr probably won’t be any better when Hill will account for 50 mil on the books.

To early to really evaluate the future. IMO we are beginning to see movement but truthfully have little to no clue at this time to say much. Who's really going out the door, we don't know.
Only one I'd have a problem with is Hunt but also see potential upgrades with additional $ to acquire some quality vets and draftees to make it OK. My fear is this continuation of OL neglect.

See a tremendous opportunity to even get better IF the right decisions are made. Point is we have the capability to improve significantly by yes, release of some damn good players....

Just fear this organizations lack of OL importance and awareness, which has turned into an annual thing for me and truthfully not getting into it again (its been a waste of time IMO). I said last year, here in FH that this screwy view of our OL development could ruin our year even with all the quality upgrades...

But there's plenty of room for excitement depending on wisdom of GM, HC and organization. We have to wait and see a bit longer to evaluate a judgement.
all fair thoughts. my concern is grier and wisdom in the same sentence seems like an oxymoron!

Couldn't have said it better. You don't have this problem if you don't draft well.

I'm still hopeful on Wilkins, but he's going to get a significant salary somewhere.

Not as concerned about Hunt and Williams. They are obviously good players, but I feel easier to replace than Wilkins.

Definitely concerned about the pass rush, especially early season. We'll have to see how everything unfolds.
This problem isn’t happening because we draft well it’s happening because we don’t draft well. We had a crap load of picks in 2020 and 2021. We missed a lot. Sorry but drafting AJ who was trash for 4 years and decent for one when there were so many better players on the board isn’t drafting well imo. Trading picks for proven guys and having to pay them big bucks is why we’re here. We wouldn’t have to do that if we drafted well. Investing 2 first round picks on waddle in a year with a shitload of talent in the draft isn’t drafting well. Have we hit on anyone the last 2 drafts? I know we traded away some picks but there’s not one starter on the team from the last 2 drafts 😬

This problem isn’t happening because we draft well it’s happening because we don’t draft well. We had a crap load of picks in 2020 and 2021. We missed a lot. Sorry but drafting AJ who was trash for 4 years and decent for one when there were so many better players on the board isn’t drafting well imo. Trading picks for proven guys and having to pay them big bucks is why we’re here. We wouldn’t have to do that if we drafted well. Investing 2 first round picks on waddle in a year with a shitload of talent in the draft isn’t drafting well. Have we hit on anyone the last 2 drafts? I know we traded away some picks but there’s not one starter on the team from the last 2 drafts 😬
this is part of the problem. thankfully we have had some good draft picks, but on the other hand we have traded away draft capital and ended up with very highly paid players in return. tyreek seems to have been worth it. although the downside of tyreek is it might be more him than tua, and then the dominoes fall from there. chubb on the other hand, add up the draft capital and his salary, he is a big part of the current salary cap problem. armstead, no draft capital, but also a ton of money (for someone that is hurt all of the time), because our draft picks couldnt do the job. there is probably about $75mm of salary cap hit between these three. so i agree, the problem is mostly due to poor drafting, where we had to pay up bigly to compensate for what we werent able to do in the draft.

Couldn't have said it better. You don't have this problem if you don't draft well.

I'm still hopeful on Wilkins, but he's going to get a significant salary somewhere.

Not as concerned about Hunt and Williams. They are obviously good players, but I feel easier to replace than Wilkins.

Definitely concerned about the pass rush, especially early season. We'll have to see how everything unfolds.
I agree that Wilkins will be much harder to replace which is why maybe they should have met his price back in the Summer.

I wonder if R Davis comes back? He seems like the kind of guy Weaver would like.

If Wilkins walks maybe that will mean they keep Hunt and/or Williams?

I like Hunt but I don't want to pay a RG the kind of money some desperate team will give him.

Williams is interesting since he is coming off an injury, but he was unhappy with his contract last season so he is not going to come back for a pay cut.

The team is going to have to find some cheap FA OL and then draft a probable rookie starter.

And yet Chris Grier still has a job! Fricken unreal!

This is what happens when you build a deep, talented NFL roster.

You have to get used to seeing guys leave for bigger paydays.

It has been a long time since Dolphin fans had to deal with this aspect of the Salary Cap Era.

I am disappointed Miami wasn't able to tie up Wilkins a year ago but obviously he has a bigger number in mind than Miami can justify.

He will be hard to replace on the field and in the locker room.

The team who overpays him will likely regret it in a few years when his Cap # starts to climb and we will see his name in stories about getting released or taking a pay cut.

Eh this is the problem from being aggressive and going all in the last couple years.

This is also a good example of "window of opportunity " we finally hit on some draft picks and we can't keep them all.

all fair thoughts. my concern is grier and wisdom in the same sentence seems like an oxymoron!
Continuing on the "to be fair" outside of the OL insanity the team he put together is probably the best in 20 years. Also considering the near future as still having the ability of being and pretty damn good team. But I see your point. Just that in today's world insanity seems to be a goal.

Can see mistakes made (after the fact) and realize GM's don't have that reading the future advantage. if not mistaken we used some of those draft picks on picking up really good and even great players. Dont think there are many GM's available such as a Ozzie Newsome ( reality can be a ball buster).

I can see now great potential possibilities to keep building a better team but like it or not it looks like we are going for it now and the future will take some hits. IMO I like that.....a lot
And I'm sure there will be mistakes just hope the OL isn't even near that list..

this is part of the problem. thankfully we have had some good draft picks, but on the other hand we have traded away draft capital and ended up with very highly paid players in return. tyreek seems to have been worth it. although the downside of tyreek is it might be more him than tua, and then the dominoes fall from there. chubb on the other hand, add up the draft capital and his salary, he is a big part of the current salary cap problem. armstead, no draft capital, but also a ton of money (for someone that is hurt all of the time), because our draft picks couldnt do the job. there is probably about $75mm of salary cap hit between these three. so i agree, the problem is mostly due to poor drafting, where we had to pay up bigly to compensate for what we werent able to do in the draft.
💯

And yet Chris Grier still has a job! Fricken unreal!
Everyone who stick up for Grier defends it with well hindsight is 20/20. Absolutely everyone. This team would be unstoppable if we drafted right in 2020 and 2021. I know 2021 wasn’t bad at all but we could’ve done better and there was no need to trade away 2 firsts for Waddle. Had we drafted right in those 2 years we wouldn’t have needed to trade and pay for hill and Chubb but we always draft for need over bpa

-We have lost Xavien Howard (mixed opinions but as of right now we have no known quantity as #2 starting CB) and Ogbah (who cares)
-We are rumored to be parting ways with Wilkins, Robert Hunt and Connor Williams, with Armstead remaining (who will probably not practice and miss half the games)
-Not heard much about Van Ginkel, but with Phillips and Chubb injured, he is pretty important

Is it actually possible that we will end up blowing all of these guys off the roster?
Why is this happening?
Are people optimistic that we will be better next year? If so, what has to happen and are you confident the front office can pull it off?

To reiterate, yes I know it is early, but we have a show to do today!!!! Discuss.....
Sunshine - We are unlikely to lose all the players you have listed. Won't be able to keep them all but you have been infected by the pervasive extreme negativity on FH. Let's just see what happens before you imitate a lemming and throw yourself off a cliff.

so you agree we are going to lose all of these players? interesting. i don't. i cannot imagine all of them being let go, that would be idiotic. i was hoping someone might have an inkling as to how we could keep some of them. interesting that since you seem to agree we are losing all of these players, you did not mention the specific reason as to why this might be happening? anyway, i guess it is your opinion that you are fine with all these players being let go, and you still think we will be better next year? if that is the case, am curious as to why you think we will be better next year? to the degree fewer injuries is part of the answer, i would say injuries are hard to predict (tua could easily get hurt) and it is unclear when our own injured guys (chubb and phillips) will return and what capacity they will play at?
I don’t even know what to say to this post

I didn’t say I agree we will lose all of them

And in the second paragraph it clearly states why some of them have to be cut

Why can’t we keep all of them? Because not everyone will play for the vet minimum and there is only so much salary cap to go around. Simple.

Why is this happening?

No team would be able to pay to keep all of those guys. Miami didn’t win anything collectively with them anyway so I don’t find it to be disastrous.

I hear what you're saying. But also look at the talent on this roster that Grier drafted. Wilkins, Baker, Howard, Holland, Hunt, Jackson, Tua, Waddle, Phillips, Achane.

That's pretty darn good.

Sunshine - We are unlikely to lose all the players you have listed. Won't be able to keep them all but you have been infected by the pervasive extreme negativity on FH. Let's just see what happens before you imitate a lemming and throw yourself off a cliff.
and you have been infected by an inability to read, and the same tendency to lash out with accusations about being negative that others have. nowhere did i say we would lose them all, i said that is what is rumored, and then asked a question. in a follow up response to another post, i actually said i dont think we will lose all of them, and if we do, that is idiotic. lastly, in many to most cases, people are not being negative, they are being objective and making observations. it is just people like you that seem to go nuts when something is said that isnt "tua is the best QB since Tom Brady and the Dolphins are perfect and their farts dont stink."

Back
Top Bottom