The Depths of the Sea has been closed | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Depths of the Sea has been closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celtkin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
For some time now, we have been concerned about the deterioration of the post quality in the Depths. The forum was filled with false accusations about prominent NFL players and other activity for which we could be held liable.

As a website, we have an obligation to take reasonable steps to prevent illegal or libelous activities at Finheaven. Having an unmoderated forum that was filled with libelous post after post was anything but a reasonable move on our part. Today, with the posting of a fake AP publication, we decided to close the Depths indefinitely.

The move was for the good of Finheaven. All it would have taken was one lawsuit by the AP or by an offended player to completely bankrupt Finheaven. That price and that possibility was too great of a risk to take just to satisfy the 30 or so regular posters in the Depths.

Even if we prevailed in a lawsuit, the cost to defend ourselves would mean the end of the site.

We are no longer a small, family and friends run site that no one has heard of. We are the 2nd largest Football message board in the world and one of the most popular message boards of any kind in the world. Our membership continues to increase by 80-100 members a day. Rumors that are generated on Finheaven have been published in the national press and we have a number of players, scouts and agents who frequently read the site.

People know who we are...

Finally, we have to consider our advertisers. Google Adsense comprises a good portion of our revenue and we depend on that money to help pay our costs. The content in the Depths violated our TOS with Adsense and we risked losing that income stream.

We weighed the possibility of moderating the forum but decided that would be too time consuming considering the 'culture' of the Depths forum.

What happens now?

The TOS will be enforced throughout the other forums just as we always have. Since we have no alternate forum to dump Smack threads into, you may see threads get locked and points issued for any clear violation of the TOS within the thread.

We don't expect to see smack talk that violates the TOS anywhere on Finheaven. If you should become tempted to cross the line, please close your browser window and cool down a bit before posting. We don't want to lose any members over this move.

In the end we did what we believe is best for Finheaven and we hope you will understand.

Where did you people hide it?

Don't tell me that you're going to force me to act my age. :(

- A very sad l2g

The fake AP story was the last straw. We are not going to be liable for the crap that goes down in there all for the sake of entertaining 30 or so members.

There is a notice in the Announcements forum

The fake AP story was the last straw. We are not going to be liable for the crap that goes down in there all for the sake of entertaining 30 or so members.

There is a notice in the Announcements forum
The Brady/Moss story? Why not spam it and slap DT on the wrist?

Has the Depths Disappeared?

I keep refreshing my forum screen and still I see no "Depths of the Sea". :what: Dont tell this magnificent forum has been killed off. Anyone know whats going on? Anyone? :club:

There is some info on what happened in the "questions/suggestions" section of the board. Apparently someone posted a false report and shouldn't have. I don't know the specifics

How about a round of applause for our moderators

Thank you mods for closing "the depths". That room got out of hand with the profane, sophomoric posts, it became impossible for a fan of an opposing team to post any football related thoughts whatsoever. The room is gone, and now perhaps some of the lesser intelligent regulars there will vanish as well after they are done:boohoo:

A Plea for Cooler Heads to Prevail

I respectfully ask the grand pubas of Finheaven to reconsider your decision to shut down the Depths. Your concern about lawsuits is just plain silly- sillier than one of my posts in the depths and a lot less funny.:lol:

First of all the fake AP article that was the cause of your decision was so blatantly fake a 3 year would never have taken it seriously. Noone would ever get sued over that. EVER. And as a regular poster there you can deride the post quality at times, I'll agree with that, especially with the sixteen year olds that tend to gravitate to the forum, but there is nothing being posted there that should get anyone's panties in a wad.

The fact is getting rid of the Depths will put a lot more pressure on your mods in the regular forum. There is no outlet for smack, which you will get, like it or not, and you will be forced to ban a lot more people and move a ton more threads. And for what? The threat of a lawsuit? There is no threat- the Depths is clearly marked as a smack forum and noone is going to sue over anything said in a smack forum, the idea is laughable. In fact I think I will.:lol: The fact is having a place to house the kindergarteners like myself is a service to the quality of your main board. Your main board will suffer for this decision and that's a fact. There are things in this world worth worrying about- the threat of a lawsuit from something written in a smack forum has to be near the bottom of the list. Throw a disclaimer on it if you're really concerned but I urge you to reconsider your decision.

Signed,

The Deacon of the Depths, Finsrclowns

I respectfully ask the grand pubas of Finheaven to reconsider your decision to shut down the Depths. Your concern about lawsuits is just plain silly- sillier than one of my posts in the depths and a lot less funny.:lol:

First of all the fake AP article that was the cause of your decision was so blatantly fake a 3 year would never have taken it seriously. Noone would ever get sued over that. EVER. And as a regular poster there you can deride the post quality at times, I'll agree with that, especially with the sixteen year olds that tend to gravitate to the forum, but there is nothing being posted there that should get anyone's panties in a wad.

The fact is getting rid of the Depths will put a lot more pressure on your mods in the regular forum. There is no outlet for smack, which you will get, like it or not, and you will be forced to ban a lot more people and move a ton more threads. And for what? The threat of a lawsuit? There is no threat- the Depths is clearly marked as a smack forum and noone is going to sue over anything said in a smack forum, the idea is laughable. In fact I think I will.:lol: The fact is having a place to house the kindergarteners like myself is a service to the quality of your main board. Your main board will suffer for this decision and that's a fact. There are things in this world worth worrying about- the threat of a lawsuit from something written in a smack forum has to be near the bottom of the list. Throw a disclaimer on it if you're really concerned but I urge you to reconsider your decision.

Signed,

I second Clowns' motion. Many big companies have day care areas. :bighug:

I too miss the depths and have a hard time understanding how anyone could take what is said in a smack forum seriously.

Signed,

Signed President Pompous Arse.

:lol:

Welcome to Junkies, clowns.

I guess only threads supportive of you decision, in this case written by one of the most sophmoric posters that spammed the Depths, gets to survive. More thoughtful, but opposing views, get moved. Got it.:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom