The Dolphins' Blitz Packages Just Increased 10x | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins' Blitz Packages Just Increased 10x

I haven't seen any of the Bills games but their o-line is being written up as being pretty porous and is second in giving up sacks. Was this due to their opponents heavily blitzing? Seems if they are having trouble with this you first see if you can get pressure from base d first. No need to put additional pressure on secondary if pressure can come from the front line.

Saban said there is little different in the offense with JP and Holcomb

Actually Saban said there is a LOT different between the two, the only thing he doesn't count on being different is overall effectiveness, but that is more likely because he isn't about to come out and say "Well I think putting in Kelly Holcomb severely upgrades their offense, honestly..."

ckparrothead said:
Actually Saban said there is a LOT different between the two, the only thing he doesn't count on being different is overall effectiveness, but that is more likely because he isn't about to come out and say "Well I think putting in Kelly Holcomb severely upgrades their offense, honestly..."

That is not what he said on the Nick Saban show.

Read the quote I just quoted above...particularly this part...

"but I think in this case, it is not really a burden, but there are some significant differences in what the two guys (JP Losman and Kelly Holcomb) can do, in terms of what they do well."

He said that Losman is more athletic and allows them to do some things to take advantage of his athleticism and that Holcomb, with more experience, allows them to do a little more from a game management perspective.

That's paraphrased, but that's essentially what he said.

Agua said:
He said that Losman is more athletic and allows them to do some things to take advantage of his athleticism and that Holcomb, with more experience, allows them to do a little more from a game management perspective.

That's paraphrased, but that's essentially what he said.

Exactly what I would expect him to say, Saban is not about to tip his hand as to which quarterback he would approach which way. But one of the basics of affecting QBs on defense is you frustrate scrambling guys who have the ability to escape your passrush, and you blitz the crap out of guys who want to throw the ball down field yet don't have the tools to get out of the way.

ckparrothead said:
Read the quote I just quoted above...particularly this part...

"but I think in this case, it is not really a burden, but there are some significant differences in what the two guys (JP Losman and Kelly Holcomb) can do, in terms of what they do well."

Differences in quarterbacks, not differences in offenses

ckparrothead said:
I am sure they will, but with the word coming from one of the Bills' own players that Kelly is going to start the game, they just "flipped" onto the game plan that involves a huge variety of blitz packages.

Look, here are Saban's own words on it...

Basically, he did not want to go ahead and label it a BURDEN but the chances are with that question there isn't any situation in the league that he would label a "burden" because that is an admission of weakness.

But this is about as burdensome as it gets without him labeling it a "burden" because Losman and Holcomb have games that are about as different as it gets.

Like I was saying, we prepared a game plan for Jake Plummer, and we prepared a game plan for Jake Delhomme. They were two vastly different game plans. Now, we have to prepare a game plan for both those guys in one game.

We have had two weeks to get ready, I think we will be just fine.

Fine. Find me one statement from any dolphins player or coach that suggests the defensive game plan will not change whether Losman or Holcomb is in. Go ahead. It's not out there. Yet, I've found you a number of statements emphasizing what each QB does differently.

Difference between a QB and an offense? Come on. The QB is clearly part of an offense. Simple logic dictates if the QB acts differently, the offense changes too.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
THAT is your opinion.

So your opinion is that the Bills will put in a QB that is better at throwing the ball down the field but will not attempt to throw more?

rafael said:
So your opinion is that the Bills will put in a QB that is better at throwing the ball down the field but will not attempt to throw more?

My opinion is that the difference in quarterback has little to do with the amount of blitzing in this offense due to the small change between how the offense is run due to the different quarterbacks AND the state of their offensive line.

I feel the amount of blitzing will be directly be determined on how much pressure Miami can get with just rushing 4 guys.

phunwin said:
So, you're saying that the Phins WOULDN'T have thrown the kitchen sink at JP Losman? I don't think this changes the gameplan much, at least as far as how often the team blitzes is concerned.

I'd say the biggest changes will be no spy for Holcomb as we may have had one for Losman and i'd expect our Safties to be a litttle more wary of the deep pass where as if losman was playing i'd having them thinking Willis, Willis Willis, until JP showed there was something to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom