The Dolphins' Blitz Packages Just Increased 10x | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins' Blitz Packages Just Increased 10x

I think the differance between the two QBs are that one has shown so far that he can only beat you with his legs and the other though not great can beat you with his arm. Our secondary play has been our weakness so what do we do? blitz heavy or drop 7-8 guys into coverage. The GREAT thing about Saban is he will do both and ADJUST to what is working DURING the game. That is what I am most excited about this season. The in-game adjustments.

holcomb aint bad but he wont be throwin for 400 yards..hes decent... i think he threw for like 350 yards last year i dont know but he might have

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
My opinion is that the difference in quarterback has little to do with the amount of blitzing in this offense due to the small change between how the offense is run due to the different quarterbacks AND the state of their offensive line.

I feel the amount of blitzing will be directly be determined on how much pressure Miami can get with just rushing 4 guys.

Well I couldn't disagree more because defenses are not called the same way offenses are called. An offense may have the first half-dozen to a dozen plays scripted prior to the game but after that the offensive coordinator calls in a play each time, and the play-calling of the OC makes a big difference. Defenses are not called exactly like that, there are packages that are in the game plan and there is less control during a half or series to just change things mid-stream. On defense, a coach goes with a game plan until it looks like it needs adjusting, then he adjusts it.

So where you are saying that the defensive game plan will start with a four man rush and adjust to blitzes if we're not getting the pressure we need, I am saying our defensive game plan will start with lots of blitzes until A) either Losman comes in for Holcomb, or B) Holcomb does a Peyton Manning impression and whips the heck out of our blitz package with hot reads, line adjustments, and quick strikes.

Option A is pretty likely to happen at some point in my opinion, Option B is not likely.

ckparrothead said:
Well I couldn't disagree more because defenses are not called the same way offenses are called. An offense may have the first half-dozen to a dozen plays scripted prior to the game but after that the offensive coordinator calls in a play each time, and the play-calling of the OC makes a big difference. Defenses are not called exactly like that, there are packages that are in the game plan and there is less control during a half or series to just change things mid-stream. On defense, a coach goes with a game plan until it looks like it needs adjusting, then he adjusts it.

So where you are saying that the defensive game plan will start with a four man rush and adjust to blitzes if we're not getting the pressure we need, I am saying our defensive game plan will start with lots of blitzes until A) either Losman comes in for Holcomb, or B) Holcomb does a Peyton Manning impression and whips the heck out of our blitz package with hot reads, line adjustments, and quick strikes.

Option A is pretty likely to happen at some point in my opinion, Option B is not likely.

You can have blitz packages and not use it. If you can get enough pressure on the QB without blitzing most defenses then use blitzes sparingly. A blitzes job is to disrupt the offense and put pressure on the quarterback, if you can do that with your front four then you are just wasting big play potential of a linebacker. Unless you have a basic Miami of old defensive plan you do make different play calls by what works and what doesn't work on defense. It is like a game of chess(If I knew chess I would make a good metaphor) or magic cards, why attack with the Sliver Queen when your little slivers are doing enough damage. Hard to make analogies with a sport that is so complicated like football.

I don't doubt Miami will blitz a lot at first no matter who the quarterback is. One thing people are putting to much on is the fact that Loseman is an athletic quarterback. However he is not good at passing on the run. Since Miami is not longer a man always defense his runs are not going to go for 8 to 20 yards consistantly. Also since he is still young and doesn't get the NFL yet his running isn't going to create some opening in the zone that just burns the defense. So far all I have seen is Loseman's atheletic is that a 8 yard loss becomes a 3 yard loss and a 3 yard loss becomes a 2 yard gain. He might break one or two, but it wouldn't be too hurtful.

phunwin said:
So, you're saying that the Phins WOULDN'T have thrown the kitchen sink at JP Losman? I don't think this changes the gameplan much, at least as far as how often the team blitzes is concerned.

Yeah I would agree that they are going to blitz alot this game. IMO Losman is more mobile or faster then Holcomb so now the blitzing will be easier because you know where he is going to be.

Dol-Fan Dupree said:
My opinion is that the difference in quarterback has little to do with the amount of blitzing in this offense due to the small change between how the offense is run due to the different quarterbacks AND the state of their offensive line.

I feel the amount of blitzing will be directly be determined on how much pressure Miami can get with just rushing 4 guys.

I do think the different in QB's affect the amount of blitzing. Look at Buf themselves, they blitzed the hell out of Vicks and Aaron and looked what happened, the QB's escaped and cause havoc. With scrambling QB's you need to control the LOS more, keep them bottle up. With immobile QB's you rush them and cause them to made quicker decisions, i.e, Delhomle. That last blitz was all we needed to win the game. QB's who stay in the pocket and have time can kill you with their arm. If you make them throw, generally it's a shorter pass and you can tackle in front of you. A Qb who has time, can allow a long pass to develope and kill you deep, if they're accurate. I think CK is right in this instance. With Kelly, we will throw everything at him, scheme wise and blitz package wise to keep him confused.

MDFINFAN said:
I do think the different in QB's affect the amount of blitzing. Look at Buf themselves, they blitzed the hell out of Vicks and Aaron and looked what happened, the QB's escaped and cause havoc. With scrambling QB's you need to control the LOS more, keep them bottle up. With immobile QB's you rush them and cause them to made quicker decisions, i.e, Delhomle. That last blitz was all we needed to win the game. QB's who stay in the pocket and have time can kill you with their arm. If you make them throw, generally it's a shorter pass and you can tackle in front of you. A Qb who has time, can allow a long pass to develope and kill you deep, if they're accurate. I think CK is right in this instance. With Kelly, we will throw everything at him, scheme wise and blitz package wise to keep him confused.

Loseman is not Vick and Aaron can hurt you throwing on the run.

What I am saying is logistically, if a defensive game plan calls for blitzing, and this one WILL call for lots of it, there literally is not enough room for the playcaller to just shift gears in-stream. They can make adjustments, but making in-game serious adjustments is not the way to keep all eleven guys on the same page on the field. The best opportunity to make serious adjustments is halftime, which is why the 3rd quarter is called the "coach's quarter"

Think of it like Madden or something. If the play isn't in the playbook, it can't be called. If you only have so many non-blitz packages in the playbook, then running them over and over again will allow the offense to figure you out.

You make the assumption that defenses test the waters to see if they will get pressure with the front four BEFORE they go ahead with their blitz programme. They don't. They begin their programme, whichever they have decided, and if it does not work, they adjust it. So the Dolphins will start out blitzing hot and heavy, and if the blitzes are effective, they will keep doing it. If they blitzes start getting picked up and they get burnt, they will adjust and pull back some of the blitzing. But they will START by blitzing, not start by rushing four men and seeing how that works, because by the time you get to your actual game plan and find out rushing four doesn't work, the score could already be 7-0.

Back
Top Bottom