the Dolphins & Peyton Manning (another "Manning" Thread) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

the Dolphins & Peyton Manning (another "Manning" Thread)

-----ALL SPECULATION-----
Well, if we were to try. I'm Sure Griese and Fiedler could be cut... (Or take a huge pay cut) Sage can be a decent backup I think. He has had time to develop to a backup level. Are there any contracts up on D on players that make a decent $$$ that are expendable? Theres a way to do anything... its a matter of what lengths the team is willing to do to get there.

Trade a good defensive player to a team for great picks (releasing us of that salary and still getting good picks in return. Who knows, sometimes you can get rookies who can start)

Only time will tell... anything can happen. But It would take a miracle with the cap situation anyways

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Prime Time
If Peyton indeed does become a FA. I see these teams making a serious run at him.

Arizona (Has Money)
Oakland (Will have Money)
Washington (Has Money)
Dallas
San Diego
49ers (If they lose Garcia)
Tampa Bay

He won't want to go to Arz (who does?) Oakland is old and full of problems, Washington sucks, and so does San Diego. The 49ers have TO but he's getting older, and Peyton might be concerned about TO's anticts (maybe not). So our real competition will be:

Dallas - That's an attraction. Good young team who will get better and a great coach.

Tampa Bay - Peyton would easily put them over the top again.

Our advantage? A good (although overrated) D, and Chris Chambers who is only 25.

Thoughts anyone?

Originally posted by Regan21286
The only way Peyton goes to Miami or elsewhere is if Colts don't win a playoff game...

I was thinking the same thing. That's why we should root hard for the Broncos when they play the Colts! Let's hope they kick their azz like last time! :)

come on guys , there is no way peyton manning will be a dolphin, although i would love it....:lol:

Originally posted by Graythreat

I understand this, but here's what I see.

First of all, don't take this the wrong way, I'm a total fins fan.........but I've always seen the Colts as being monumental underachievers. I always thought they had the most talent in the NFL, but they just couldn't put it together.

And Manning has to see that. Remember the begininng of the season when they were saying he was in the process of getting a new contract? And THEN they were close to signing a new contract mid-season?

Where's that contract now? Something's amiss. Why hasn't he resigned? They'll pay what he wants, they'd be stupid not to. But why hasn't HE locked up the deal?

I'm not saying it's likely, but there are weird things going on within the colts organization.

Good point, but we're underacheivers also. And yeah, something is definitely amiss because you lock up a marquee player like that during training camp. Could you imagine the fan revolt if the Fins let RW even sniff free agency?

Originally posted by relive1972
I think this whole Manning to Miami story is a farce, something someone cooked up just to divert attention away from extending Wannstedt's contract when the majority in S. Fla. wanted him gone. What better way to get people excited about the team again when disappointment and disgust is at an alltime high.

Doesn't it seem strange that none of the national media has picked up on this, I mean Manning to Miami would be as big a story as any in the NFL these days. And wouldn't this whole process be something the GM would decide to do? We don't even a GM yet and they're already saying they're going to do what they can to make a run at Manning?

Even Hank himself is backtracking, saying it could be done, "if they step up". Methinks Hank realized he was used as a tool. And it worked, somewhat successfully, some are buying it and talking Super Bowl and Miami in the same breath again.

I'm not saying Miami won't show interest and won't inquire about Manning IF, (and that's a big IF), Manning does become a FA. They'll at least do that much to appease the fans. But in the end they'll say they just didn't have the cap space available to make a deal and it just wasn't feasible to pull off what with other areas on the team needing attention also. And then, much like Gandy last year, people will be applauding them for at least trying.

I'll belive it when Manning is actually a Dolphin. Until then, I'll believe it's nothing more than a PR move trying to get disgruntled fans excited about Dolphin football again.

I understand where you're coming from, but I disagree. I always dismiss stuff like this, especially this early, but consider the source. Hank has a proven track record of reporting the right stuff over many years, so automatically, there's something to the story. Hank doesn't just go off of "rumor mill" stories (which he doesn't bother with anyway). He talks to people in the league.

If Peyton indeed does become a FA. I see these teams making a serious run at him.

Arizona (Has Money)
Washington (Has Money)
Dallas
San Diego
Tampa Bay

Washington has a young QB in Ramsey and definitely does not have the money to sign him. The 49ers will stick with Rattay. The Bucs won't sign Manning because they have Johnson and he is still good. All of those other teams could sign him though.

The truth is that Miami does not have the money to sign Peyton Manning and there is NO chance that he comes here.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

Washington has a young QB in Ramsey and definitely does not have the money to sign him. The 49ers will stick with Rattay. The Bucs won't sign Manning because they have Johnson and he is still good. All of those other teams could sign him though.

The truth is that Miami does not have the money to sign Peyton Manning and there is NO chance that he comes here.
I know we're strapped, but the Fins want him bad enough, as they should, they'll do what it takes. If it means restructuring guys, prorating bonus money, or whatever. There are ways to manipulate the cap. Teams do it all the time.

No sense in speculating now anyway, but I love the way some of you talk. You have no idea what the money situation is, the point being is that if our team wants him bad enough they will find a way. If not, then too bad. I say wait and see what happens.

Arizona (Has Money)
Washington (Has Money)
Dallas
San Diego
Tampa Bay

We are not on your list> I thought you were confident we would make a run at him. Of those I see this
AZ new coach and poor tradition-no way
OK- could be same coach problem though
Dallas- Def possibility however does payton want the ability to control the field and will the tuna allow it. Tuna usually likes average QBs with smarts and ability to take orders. Thats not payton.
San Diego- Maybe but no coach again and the only wr in ?????
9ers- Could see that
TB- Could see this also. Good D, Good coach, prob get a RB in the draft this year. But again no WR
MIA- only if he cares more about playing for his fav teams (DEN & MIA) along with the chance for a ring, more than the cash. Could be. We can hope.

What would be the time line before we know if these lofty hopes are dashed or not?

I heard all these No Way In Hell we could get Ricky Williams threads 2 years ago, and BAM, look what happened. We have a good chance at either Peyton or Eli Manning. Bottom Line Changes are coming, and are needed.

Originally posted by chambers84
I heard all these No Way In Hell we could get Ricky Williams threads 2 years ago, and BAM, look what happened. We have a good chance at either Peyton or Eli Manning. Bottom Line Changes are coming, and are needed.

Peyton? Yes. I don't know about Eli. He'll be gone prob top 3.

Originally posted by chambers84

To get Eli we would need to get a 1st and 3rd for Ugon and trade both 1sts and maybe more picks to get number one everall.

Back
Top Bottom