The Fumble: Tannehill Checked Out of a Run Play

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Shouright, Oct 21, 2013.

?

Do you think Tannehill should've changed the play to a pass?

1. Yes

28.6%
  2. No

71.4%
  1. Shouright

Shouright A True Fan

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...phins-1021-20131020,0,4840278.story?track=rss

EDIT: Some more information here:

http://live.advancednflstats.com/index.php?gameid1=2013102006

Based on the chart on that page, the Dolphins were 72% likely to win the game prior to that play, and then after the fumble, they became only 33% likely to win it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
  2. shoveyjoe2442

shoveyjoe2442 Well-Known Member

Then I apologize to Sherman. Tannehill now deserves full blame in my eyes

3. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Then he is a complete moron. What the hell do you think teams do when you're trying to run out the clock? Also, you have to weight the strong possibility that an eight man front will create disruption against your O/L. Especially when you try to pass on what a 3 step drop from under center?

Apologies to Sherman....

4. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

Try as I might I just cant get mad at the play call. It's an unfortunate result but you have to expect the line to hold for a half second more.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
  5. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

It's a slippery slope because you don't want to handcuff a qb you train him to audible in certain situations. He has to protect the football period the end!

6. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Critical mistake by the QB. No question. I am even more sick now.

7. AllFinsAllDay

AllFinsAllDay A True Fan

Well...Clabo still screwed the pooch no matter what the call was. You still have to block weather it is pass or run and Clabo did not do that plain and simple.

8. ANUFan

He also needs to be able to FULLY evaluate the situation too.

9. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

Honestly, I'm more pissed about ball security than play calling.

10. michaelscott

michaelscott Active Member

Clabo needs to block better. End of discussion.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

11. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Stupid check by RT. Run the ball. I do not need the Drew Bledsoe river boat gambler attitude.

12. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

oh wow...

13. SeasonsMusic

SeasonsMusic Pianist

He sucks. Turnoverhill

14. Shouright

Shouright A True Fan

Do you think Tannehill was aware Clabo would be blocking Mario Williams when he changed the play?

15. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

He ahould have changed protection, all could see it was a jailbreak.

16. ANUFan

If he didn't then he has no business being the starter! Period. Situational awareness, M.Williams completely eat Clabo alive on the previous play and now your trying to wait on a comeback route from under center on a 3 step drop against an 8 man front??

17. hestar

hestar Well-Known Member

18. Chance29

Chance29 Rookie

Hmmmm showrong posting omar threads..... Who woulda guessed?

19. NCFINFAN13

NCFINFAN13 The Phinsuckery Continues Donator

He made a huge mistake from the sound of it .... the question really is, will he learn from it? If he does, this will be chalked up to a teachable moment, part of his growing pains and maturing process. If he doesn't, this will be part of the case against him.

He needs to have the freedom to succeed or fail IMHO, and he's going to win some and lose some. Hopefully, he begins to win more than he loses.

20. ATL_PHIN_FAN

ATL_PHIN_FAN Winner Under Construction

No, but situational awareness should have told him the risk was too high at that point in the game. I don't know who coaches that into him, but he sure needs more of it. Its possible they don't allow him the flexibility to NOT make that audible. If not, that shows a disturbing amount of distrust in your field general.

I'm very disappointed that what happened on that play could ever have occurred. I'm even more upset that this team has had a habit of shooting itself in the foot to start games. We seem to need to react too much to what the other team is doing both offensively and defensively, rather than forcing them stop us. Sigh . . . one hopes that is not a sign of a lack of preparation.

21. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E22 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

What is there to learn? You run the ball, protect the ball with a 1 point lead. Let the Bills take their time outs. He had pretty decent protection until the 4th quarter. He should have been aware of that. The only objective the Bills had was: stack the box and go for a turnover.

22. NCFINFAN13

NCFINFAN13 The Phinsuckery Continues Donator

Well for starters, what you just said. The kid saw something he thought he could capitalize on and went with it .... hopefully he's learned not to get too creative in those moments.

23. phins_4_ever

Tannhill is now blaming others ("if we would have had 1/2 second more")? Oh no. The outcome of the play would have been the same. Sorry. The ball was stripped because he handed the ball on a silver platter. This ball would not have come out of his hand in another 1/2 second.

24. CanadianFinatic

CanadianFinatic Rookie

This game is on Tannehill- 1st the pick six to start the game and then the stupid pass into double coverage which was intercepted in the end zone and finally the fumble at the end of the game. And let's not forget the stupid play on special teams by Jones which set up the Bills with half a field to score a touchdown.

25. phins_4_ever

Well for starters he is a #8 pick and demanded a lot of money. The margin of error is always smaller with a top 10 pick. If you are picked in the top 10 you have to learn rather quickly and good because the team invested a lot in you. People talk about Tannehill like he was drafted in round 2 or lower or was an undrafted FA. I was critical of the pick when we drafted him. I thought it was too high for a QB which did not play all his college years as a QB. I gave him the chance though and I said that by year two he has to be a more complete QB.

He has done many things better than he did last year but he is not a franchise QB yet. Right now he is a QB who is serviceable. He does the occasional good throw but he can not carry a team like a franchise QB should. With every good throw comes a bunch of throws where you slap your head because he missed an open receiver, threw short or too deep. I am not overlooking problems on our OL either. But I am also sure that it is not the first time he changed the playcall. It is just the first time we heard about it.

The question really is how much time do you give a QB like Tannehill?

Here is another problem I have with Tannehill for quite a while: no emotions. Every time they show him on TV he looked like Henne. The careless look. What bothered me most yesterday, more than the fumble itself, was his smile while talking to a staff member after the fumble. I looked at the TV and asked myself: why the **** is he smiling?

26. phins_4_ever

I wouldn't say it's all on Tannehill but he sure was a major contributor. I wish that people would be that objective rather than protecting him. Heck, Tannehill gets more protection from fans and media than he gets from his OL.

27. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Tannehill ran the play he was coached to run. The play is DESIGNED to have a check to a pass against an 8 man front. From the coaches comments, Tannehill made the right read in that situation. If you don't want your QB to have to make that check, how about they go into a jumbo formation and run the ball? The coaches made the decision to stay in their conventional offense and call that play. They had to know that Buffalo would stack the box and therefore Tannehill would change to a pass, just as he has been coached to do.

Trust me, if we had gone ultra conservative and had a three and out, punted the ball and lost, there would be 100 threads criticizing the conservative play calling. So Tannehill was right, if they execute, nobody is talking about the play. Clabo didn't execute. Once that play is called, it is up to the 11 guys on the field to do their job, all of them. If you can't block a guy on a three step drop you shouldn't be on the field. That is on the coaches and the GM.

28. Heinegrabber

Heinegrabber Since 84 Finheaven VIP

What kind of front did he expect to see with a one point lead and the ball at the fifty. Let Miller and thomas do what they get paid to do.

Mr Tannehill you are not the game manger you think you are.

Why the **** would you call a pass against an eight man front thats 3 players short of an all out blitz.

29. So Be

So Be A True Fan

The play call is debatable because it did not work. We have over 3 minutes to kill, 2nd and 8, and we need a 1st down to put the game away. With 8 in the box, it's unlikely we get more than a yard or two. Then on 3rd down, it's less likely we complete a pass, and if we run again, we punt with over 2.5 minutes left.

Play action freezes the pass rush for a split second, and a completion should end the game. Much easier here than on 3rd down. I cannot fault the call but, I would not have faulted a run either.

30. FSU Truth

FSU Truth inside my DNA Finheaven VIP

QB's check out of plays all the time and fail or succeed...it is part of the game...I have no problem with him being aggressive at this point in the game...pick up the first and put the game away.

Now imagine if the Dolphins run the ball, fail to pick up the first and the Bills get the ball back with a good amount of time on the clock timeouts and the 2 minute warning. With the way the defense was playing on 3rd downs the could have easily gone down and scored a FG. IF they did everyone would be whining about to conservative play calling...."need to put teams away"....Fans will whine about anything...

31. CA Dolfan

CA Dolfan Dolphin fan since '72

Check out of a play if you have people that can protect you.

32. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Donator

I don't have an issue with the audible. I want my QB to want to have the game in his hands when it's on the line.

The execution just sucked. Blame whoever you want, I don't care. It's all the ****ty QB's fault, it's all the ****ty right tackle's fault, it's all the ****ty offensive coordinator's fault, it's all Jeff Ireland's fault.

But if you are afraid to call a quick pass play because your right tackle is so ****ing bad that you don't even trust him to impede the progress of the defensive end, then what the **** is the point of even having him out there?

33. So Be

So Be A True Fan

The 8 men in the box is designed to stack the line and stop the run, not to rush the QB.

34. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Well this changes everything. My apologies to the coaching staff for ranting and screaming on them about the play call. They got the call right, but the young QB, changes the play, based on the defensive formation. Tannehill has B***S, I'll tell ya that!!! Perhaps it will be a learning experience for him? And the Blame is TOTALLY on his shoulders. I don't have a problem with how he handled the situation. Most QB's in that situation, who have audible options, would have done the same thing. IMO, it would have been better for Tannehill to stick to the call and let some Time Run Down. It speaks volumes for the confidence the coaching staff has in Tannehill, to allow him that much control at the LOS to audible. Miami lost the game he's going to have to live with that. But, this is a situation where it can push forward Tannehill's learning curve. In-Spite of the loss. I'm still a Believer that Miami has a Franchise QB in Tannehill. It still doesn't change the need for better OT's and better play from the O-Line overall in a situation like that.

35. DolphinzD

DolphinzD Boom!! How you like that??

Yeah, but the Bills would have most likely been pinned inside their 20, and they had only one drive the whole game for the length they would have needed to get into reasonable field goal range. Considering the fact that the running game was actually working yesterday, just seems like a bad time to pass. Grind the clock and/or force the Bills to use their timeouts, then use one of the best punters in football to pin them deep.

36. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

While I now understand that he checked off the run and went with the pass, Clabo still needs to make a play. Yes Mario Williams was on the field and he did his job, that's to be expected. But my God can you keep Williams at bay for just the one time and see what happens?

37. stephins87

stephins87 Well-Known Member

He's not a smart QB. Andrew Luck he is not!

38. Zounds

Zounds A True Fan Donator

Play calling was not the issue. Blocking was.

39. FSU Truth

FSU Truth inside my DNA Finheaven VIP

HE is....most QB's would have made the same call...you play to win....

40. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Donator

Well, it was obviously a bad audible when you look at the results. But I just recall how many times under Dave Wannstedt and Tony Sparano this team would have been content to just run the ball into an 8 man front and then punt it away -- playing not to lose -- and how frustrated that made me. I remember thinking then that I'd rather watch the team take a chance and try to win the damn game than just curl up into the fetal position and wait to see if the other team would make plays to pull it out.

I'm happy that the team played to win, but I'm not happy with the results.

41. Zounds

Regarding the poll in the OP, Tannehill changed the play because that is what he is coached to do. If he sees a certain front, he's supposed to make the call. If he doesn't call a pass play, its because he doesn't recognize the defense. Its really a stupid poll considering he was just doing his job.

42. Miami 13

Miami 13 Pro Bowler

It was a horrible decision. Plain and simple. In that situation at mid field you are playing the clock and that's it. You don't attempt a pass for fear of incompletion and the clock stopping. What happened was the worst possible scenario. A pick 6 would of been better since we'd had a lot of time with the ball back. I would of been completely fine if we had to punt it away with 2 min or less remaining. Pin Lewis and the Bills inside their 10? Yes please. I like aggressive calls to but I'm not going to lie to myself to make me feel better about Tannehill after that choice. It was a flat out bad decision. It's not like we were facing Brady or Manning. It was Thad Lewis. I have plenty of confidence in our defense to win the game at that point.

43. Shouright

Shouright A True Fan

Uh, then shouldn't you just vote yes? :unsure:

44. Shouright

Shouright A True Fan

Unlikely. The Dolphins were 72% likely to win the game just prior to the fumble. Just after the fumble that number plummeted to 33%.

45. Zounds

I did vote yes, but you are unfairly misleading people in that Tannehill had a choice in not doing what he was instructed to do. You might as well rephrase the poll to ask, "Should he have done his job the way he was coached to do?". That's probably a more fair question instead of trying to pin it on Tannehill's decision making.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

:bs:

46. Shouright

Shouright A True Fan

Are you aware whether Tannehill is instructed to change the play no matter what under those circumstances, rather than using his judgment to change the play or not?

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

:confused2:

47. ryan0398

ryan0398 Active Member

In today's NFL I can't stand giving the defense the opportunity to win the game. I can't argue that given the opponent and circumstances that a punt wouldn't have resulted in a win but 100 out of 100 times if im the coach I'm trying to put the game away in the victory formation. Pick up the first and end the game. I just wish Thill would have eaten that sack. I'm still so sick over this lose.

48. Zounds

Yes, he is supposed to audible based on the defensive formation. Its what he's been coached to do. Its not something Tannehill just decided to do on his own, like he's some rouge QB play changer going against the will of his OC/HC. Even Philbin has validated the call in his presser.

49. hoops

hoops exited stage left

ha ha we bitched and moaned about how this team in the past has played not to lose instead of playing to win and the qb checks into a play to try and win and now people are bitching about that also...a play mind you he had max 2 seconds before he was impaled on the play by clabo and the running back driven back into him...

whatever...i'm done

50. hoops

hoops exited stage left

now i will say this...if tannehill checked into a play where he let his back have a one on one with a de and didn't set up his protections properly than he shares some of that blame...but it probably wouldn't have mattered the way clabo got beaten like a step child...

i need to take a look again to see who picked up d thomas and drove him into tannys lap...if that's a de then it's a bad protection to have him in...

i do know this...there was absolutely no where for tanny to go on that play...nada zero zilch