The Fumble: Tannehill Checked Out of a Run Play | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Fumble: Tannehill Checked Out of a Run Play

Do you think Tannehill should've changed the play to a pass?

• Total voters
Do you think Tannehill was aware Clabo would be blocking Mario Williams when he changed the play?

If he didn't then he has no business being the starter! Period. Situational awareness, M.Williams completely eat Clabo alive on the previous play and now your trying to wait on a comeback route from under center on a 3 step drop against an 8 man front??

He made a huge mistake from the sound of it .... the question really is, will he learn from it? If he does, this will be chalked up to a teachable moment, part of his growing pains and maturing process. If he doesn't, this will be part of the case against him.

He needs to have the freedom to succeed or fail IMHO, and he's going to win some and lose some. Hopefully, he begins to win more than he loses.

Do you think Tannehill was aware Clabo would be blocking Mario Williams when he changed the play?
No, but situational awareness should have told him the risk was too high at that point in the game. I don't know who coaches that into him, but he sure needs more of it. Its possible they don't allow him the flexibility to NOT make that audible. If not, that shows a disturbing amount of distrust in your field general.

I'm very disappointed that what happened on that play could ever have occurred. I'm even more upset that this team has had a habit of shooting itself in the foot to start games. We seem to need to react too much to what the other team is doing both offensively and defensively, rather than forcing them stop us. Sigh . . . one hopes that is not a sign of a lack of preparation.

He made a huge mistake from the sound of it .... the question really is, will he learn from it? If he does, this will be chalked up to a teachable moment, part of his growing pains and maturing process. If he doesn't, this will be part of the case against him.

He needs to have the freedom to succeed or fail IMHO, and he's going to win some and lose some. Hopefully, he begins to win more than he loses.

What is there to learn? You run the ball, protect the ball with a 1 point lead. Let the Bills take their time outs. He had pretty decent protection until the 4th quarter. He should have been aware of that. The only objective the Bills had was: stack the box and go for a turnover.

What is there to learn? You run the ball, protect the ball with a 1 point lead. Let the Bills take their time outs. He had pretty decent protection until the 4th quarter. He should have been aware of that. The only objective the Bills had was: stack the box and go for a turnover.

Well for starters, what you just said. The kid saw something he thought he could capitalize on and went with it .... hopefully he's learned not to get too creative in those moments.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...phins-1021-20131020,0,4840278.story?track=rss

EDIT: Some more information here:

http://live.advancednflstats.com/index.php?gameid1=2013102006

Based on the chart on that page, the Dolphins were 72% likely to win the game prior to that play, and then after the fumble, they became only 33% likely to win it.

Tannhill is now blaming others ("if we would have had 1/2 second more")? Oh no. The outcome of the play would have been the same. Sorry. The ball was stripped because he handed the ball on a silver platter. This ball would not have come out of his hand in another 1/2 second.

This game is on Tannehill- 1st the pick six to start the game and then the stupid pass into double coverage which was intercepted in the end zone and finally the fumble at the end of the game. And let's not forget the stupid play on special teams by Jones which set up the Bills with half a field to score a touchdown.

Well for starters, what you just said. The kid saw something he thought he could capitalize on and went with it .... hopefully he's learned not to get too creative in those moments.

Well for starters he is a #8 pick and demanded a lot of money. The margin of error is always smaller with a top 10 pick. If you are picked in the top 10 you have to learn rather quickly and good because the team invested a lot in you. People talk about Tannehill like he was drafted in round 2 or lower or was an undrafted FA. I was critical of the pick when we drafted him. I thought it was too high for a QB which did not play all his college years as a QB. I gave him the chance though and I said that by year two he has to be a more complete QB.

He has done many things better than he did last year but he is not a franchise QB yet. Right now he is a QB who is serviceable. He does the occasional good throw but he can not carry a team like a franchise QB should. With every good throw comes a bunch of throws where you slap your head because he missed an open receiver, threw short or too deep. I am not overlooking problems on our OL either. But I am also sure that it is not the first time he changed the playcall. It is just the first time we heard about it.

The question really is how much time do you give a QB like Tannehill?

Here is another problem I have with Tannehill for quite a while: no emotions. Every time they show him on TV he looked like Henne. The careless look. What bothered me most yesterday, more than the fumble itself, was his smile while talking to a staff member after the fumble. I looked at the TV and asked myself: why the **** is he smiling?

This game is on Tannehill- 1st the pick six to start the game and then the stupid pass into double coverage which was intercepted in the end zone and finally the fumble at the end of the game. And let's not forget the stupid play on special teams by Jones which set up the Bills with half a field to score a touchdown.

I wouldn't say it's all on Tannehill but he sure was a major contributor. I wish that people would be that objective rather than protecting him. Heck, Tannehill gets more protection from fans and media than he gets from his OL.

Tannehill ran the play he was coached to run. The play is DESIGNED to have a check to a pass against an 8 man front. From the coaches comments, Tannehill made the right read in that situation. If you don't want your QB to have to make that check, how about they go into a jumbo formation and run the ball? The coaches made the decision to stay in their conventional offense and call that play. They had to know that Buffalo would stack the box and therefore Tannehill would change to a pass, just as he has been coached to do.

Trust me, if we had gone ultra conservative and had a three and out, punted the ball and lost, there would be 100 threads criticizing the conservative play calling. So Tannehill was right, if they execute, nobody is talking about the play. Clabo didn't execute. Once that play is called, it is up to the 11 guys on the field to do their job, all of them. If you can't block a guy on a three step drop you shouldn't be on the field. That is on the coaches and the GM.

What kind of front did he expect to see with a one point lead and the ball at the fifty. Let Miller and thomas do what they get paid to do.

Mr Tannehill you are not the game manger you think you are.

Why the **** would you call a pass against an eight man front thats 3 players short of an all out blitz.

The play call is debatable because it did not work. We have over 3 minutes to kill, 2nd and 8, and we need a 1st down to put the game away. With 8 in the box, it's unlikely we get more than a yard or two. Then on 3rd down, it's less likely we complete a pass, and if we run again, we punt with over 2.5 minutes left.

Play action freezes the pass rush for a split second, and a completion should end the game. Much easier here than on 3rd down. I cannot fault the call but, I would not have faulted a run either.

QB's check out of plays all the time and fail or succeed...it is part of the game...I have no problem with him being aggressive at this point in the game...pick up the first and put the game away.

Now imagine if the Dolphins run the ball, fail to pick up the first and the Bills get the ball back with a good amount of time on the clock timeouts and the 2 minute warning. With the way the defense was playing on 3rd downs the could have easily gone down and scored a FG. IF they did everyone would be whining about to conservative play calling...."need to put teams away"....Fans will whine about anything...

Back
Top Bottom