The Fumble: Tannehill Checked Out of a Run Play | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Fumble: Tannehill Checked Out of a Run Play

Do you think Tannehill should've changed the play to a pass?

• Total voters
I did vote yes, but you are unfairly misleading people in that Tannehill had a choice in not doing what he was instructed to do. You might as well rephrase the poll to ask, "Should he have done his job the way he was coached to do?". That's probably a more fair question instead of trying to pin it on Tannehill's decision making.
Are you aware whether Tannehill is instructed to change the play no matter what under those circumstances, rather than using his judgment to change the play or not?

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

:confused2:

In today's NFL I can't stand giving the defense the opportunity to win the game. I can't argue that given the opponent and circumstances that a punt wouldn't have resulted in a win but 100 out of 100 times if im the coach I'm trying to put the game away in the victory formation. Pick up the first and end the game. I just wish Thill would have eaten that sack. I'm still so sick over this lose.

Are you aware whether Tannehill is instructed to change the play no matter what under those circumstances, rather than using his judgment to change the play or not?

Yes, he is supposed to audible based on the defensive formation. Its what he's been coached to do. Its not something Tannehill just decided to do on his own, like he's some rouge QB play changer going against the will of his OC/HC. Even Philbin has validated the call in his presser.

ha ha we bitched and moaned about how this team in the past has played not to lose instead of playing to win and the qb checks into a play to try and win and now people are bitching about that also...a play mind you he had max 2 seconds before he was impaled on the play by clabo and the running back driven back into him...

whatever...i'm done

now i will say this...if tannehill checked into a play where he let his back have a one on one with a de and didn't set up his protections properly than he shares some of that blame...but it probably wouldn't have mattered the way clabo got beaten like a step child...

i need to take a look again to see who picked up d thomas and drove him into tannys lap...if that's a de then it's a bad protection to have him in...

i do know this...there was absolutely no where for tanny to go on that play...nada zero zilch

It doesn't matter what the call was, the RT has to sustain his ****ing block for more than 1 second.

It was the correct call considering our D had been giving up 3rd and longs all day to the Bills O. We wanted to put the game away instead of being conservative, that's good... in THEORY.

The problem is, when the game is on the line and you have an OL that struggles with pass protection, you cannot call a passing play that requires your suspect OL to protect you. Cause guess what? They won't. They haven't all year, what makes this game different? So you do what you have to do, you play it safe. You run the ball. Kill the clock. Hey, maybe they miss a tackle and you get a first down by running the ball. Who knows?

But this coaching staff refuses to acknowledge the fact that our RT is a liability. They saw the way our line played the first 5 games and STILL refused to make any changes during the bye week. That to me speaks of a bigger problem: they are in denial. Maybe NOW they'll understand just how bad our RT has been all year and make some changes. But their inability to adjust during the week off is quite alarming, to be honest.

The blame goes to Ryan T. as well. He HAS to be smart and know that a turnover here will kill you. Do whatever you want, just DO NOT turn the ball over. He probably thought his line had played decent enough all game to give him enough time to make this one pass, but well...he was wrong, unfortunately.

had we ran the ball and punted the bills probably still would have won...there was at least one more 20 plus yard gain screen play against pressure ready to exploit us in the offering...

with these brain dead lbs

Yes, he is supposed to audible based on the defensive formation. Its what he's been coached to do. Its not something Tannehill just decided to do on his own, like he's some rouge QB play changer going against the will of his OC/HC. Even Philbin has validated the call in his presser.
So you believe he's been coached to audible in response to the defensive formation, regardless of the game situation?

Here is another problem I have with Tannehill for quite a while: no emotions. Every time they show him on TV he looked like Henne. The careless look. What bothered me most yesterday, more than the fumble itself, was his smile while talking to a staff member after the fumble. I looked at the TV and asked myself: why the **** is he smiling?

I've had the same concerns, and long before we drafted him. It's identical to how he looked and acted at Texas A&M. That team blew second half leads as if it were their goal. Tannehill rarely seemed to care. He'd make the same empty comments about improving week to week. There was no sense that he viewed every game as vital, one among only 11 within 365 days and all that work to get there.

Then he shows up at our camp and doesn't know the NFL divisions. Lots of folks here blew that off. They were out of their minds. It aligns with the overall lack of attention and commitment. A hobbyist.

If all you do is watch tape you miss the circuitry. Lamar Miller has been the same guy for at least 5 years. There are other Canes fans here who have attested to that. I've pointed it out countless times. His weaknesses have never changed and nobody will ever confuse him for Mensa caliber. In this era we seemingly have no trouble drafting dummies or moderately dedicated types. Then somehow we expect them to compete with Tom Brady. It maddens me because I remember the passion and smarts of the early '70s teams. Jeff Ireland wasn't around for that era so he robotically looks at tape and assembles a collection of goofs. You can't draft Michael Egnew if personality is on the radar at all.

had we ran the ball and punted the bills probably still would have won...there was at least one more 20 plus yard gain screen play against pressure ready to exploit us in the offering...

with these brain dead lbs
I doubt you would've put any money on that.

So the Oline gets a pass. WTF?!?! Some of you are hopeless. Clabo sucks period. The line holds and this is a non-issue. Plain and simple. But logic eludes some of you.

So you believe he's been coached to audible in response to the defensive formation, regardless of the game situation?

Unless instructed not to audible, then yes. Are you suggesting that Sherman instructed him not to audible, and Tannehill disobeyed him? What exactly are you saying? Philbin already confirmed it was the right call, yet you continue to doubt it.

Sheesh.. there were so many things wrong with that last drive and we wanna harp on simply that play call. We should've been running all 3 downs regardless of effectiveness to run the clock.

This sounds like something a few posters have been saying about our team having a low football IQ. RT's call was the right one ... if made at any other time in the game. It's understanding clock and score. He needs to do this.

This is concerning to me because seeing him on Hard Knocks, reading and watching his interviews, I wondered if he was someone with a real passion for football. Something like this reinforces that concern, because I'd think someone who just ate and slept football, that watched games when they weren't playing them, would understand the concept of situational play-calling.

Back
Top Bottom