The Miami Dolphins are looking to replace a quarterback. But it won’t be Ryan Tannehill | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins are looking to replace a quarterback. But it won’t be Ryan Tannehill

AL R

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
The common assumption is the Miami Dolphins are going quarterback shopping this offseason because they might want to eventually replace starter Ryan Tannehill, who six seasons after arriving in South Florida is still something of a mystery to everyone.

This is wrong.

Although Tannehill’s health is an issue after suffering two ACL injuries in consecutive seasons and there’s a lurking question about just how good he can be, that is mostly noise to the Dolphins. They’re fully on the Tannehill bandwagon.

Coach Adam Gase is atop that bandwagon waving a big Ryan flag while professing his Ryan love as loud as his voice will carry. And the team believes new offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains can help Tannehill’s pocket presence. So that’s not it.

The issue lies with Matt Moore.

It seems after seven seasons with the Dolphins — with all but one of those as the backup — Moore is done in Miami. He and the Dolphins are apparently headed for a divorce because, well, both sides currently feel a need for change.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article196186674.html

I don't think anyone thinks that we're going to replace Tannehill this year, or even next...if we draft a QB, it's probably for the 2020, even 2021 season, when Tannehill's deal eventually runs out. Unless he turns in a SB-winning performance by then, I could see us walking away by that point, and having a ready-made replacement...which would be common sense.

"Moore believed he had earned that right the previous season when Tannehill was injured the first time because he helped the Dolphins win two of their final three regular-season games and qualify for the playoffs."

You think? Couldn't have been any worse than Cutler.

If you are looking to trade a QB you aren't going to run around talking about how much doubt you have in him.

"Moore believed he had earned that right the previous season when Tannehill was injured the first time because he helped the Dolphins win two of their final three regular-season games and qualify for the playoffs."

You think? Couldn't have been any worse than Cutler.

I think one thing is clear, time for both sides to split, as Armando points out.

Well, there's no doubt we need a back up. MM is not going to take us anywhere. At last I want a young QB to groom. It doesn't have to be at 11 but we need to draft one

Ozzy rules!!

Honest question... How many successful quaterbacks have actually been "groomed"? I'm not being sarcastic, I'd like to draft a guy later on and let sit a couple of years while he learns, but it's the fist time I wonder about success stories...

Honest question... How many successful quaterbacks have actually been "groomed"? I'm not being sarcastic, I'd like to draft a guy later on and let sit a couple of years while he learns, but it's the fist time I wonder about success stories...

I can think of Aaron Rodgers and Steve Young come to mind. But the other question that also comes to mind is how many times was someone sitting in the wings waiting to be the replacement and then didn't live up to expectations, putting the team into a deep and dark hole (fan not happy, locker room not happy, year or three lost until a real starter was found, etc.)

The best player in the league went this route. Tom Brady. It was only a year and a few games but it worked out pretty well for the Patriots. Not sure you can sit someone for 3 years these day like what happened to Rodgers. Young was more like Brady. A year to sit and then into the fire.

This is why I believe a QB at 11 may actually be in play...

If Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield are there at 11, there will be serious discussion on drafting one of them. I think 2017 taught Gase a lesson.

When Tannehill went down, Gase's plans were toast. He was caught with his pants down. I guarantee he'd rather have a high ceiling prospect to try to salvage the season rather than a career backup with a low ceiling or have to go out fishing for a has-been vet on the street. He needs a good prospect to develop behind Tannehill in case he goes down again or fails to live up to potential in Gase's system. And that guy has to be a top prospect, not some mid-rounder...

If they are in position to get one of those top prospects, he needs to pull the trigger because those opportunities don't come around often. You don't know when you will have the opportunity again, and its likely Gase wouldn't ever have that opportunity again with the Dolphins.

The best player in the league went this route. Tom Brady. It was only a year and a few games but it worked out pretty well for the Patriots. Not sure you can sit someone for 3 years these day like what happened to Rodgers. Young was more like Brady. A year to sit and then into the fire.

So, all we have to do is find the next best player in the league (and hope no one else notices them before pick 11). Got it.

This is why I believe a QB at 11 may actually be in play...

If Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield are there at 11, there will be serious discussion on drafting one of them. I think 2017 taught Gase a lesson.

When Tannehill went down, Gase's plans were toast. He was caught with his pants down. I guarantee he'd rather have a high ceiling prospect to try to salvage the season rather than a career backup with a low ceiling or have to go out fishing for a has-been vet on the street. He needs a good prospect to develop behind Tannehill in case he goes down again or fails to live up to potential in Gase's system. And that guy has to be a top prospect, not some mid-rounder...

If they are in position to get one of those top prospects, he needs to pull the trigger because those opportunities don't come around often. You don't know when you will have the opportunity again, and its likely Gase wouldn't ever have that opportunity again with the Dolphins.
If both those guys are still on the board then the phone will be ringing off the wall. I believe Allen will be gone tho and I still believe we're going defense at 11. The question is who. It'll be fun to see what we do if Davenport,James and Smith are all there.

I'd take Davenport but he might not even be there either.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom