The numbers do not add up for Mike White to come back for 2024 season | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The numbers do not add up for Mike White to come back for 2024 season

They had....what is their depth now? I absolutely agree that QB depth is important, but expecting to have a Brock Purdy or Jimmy G on your bench for every year is wishful thinking.
Jimmy G could have been had for pretty cheaply. So it's not really unrealistic at all.

Keep drafting until you have a decent backup if FA doesn't suit. SF drafted Purdy despite having Jimmy G and paying exorbitant price for Trey Lance in draft picks.

Jimmy G could have been had for pretty cheaply. So it's not really unrealistic at all.

Keep drafting until you have a decent backup if FA doesn't suit. SF drafted Purdy despite having Jimmy G and paying exorbitant price for Trey Lance in draft picks.
What is cheaply? Cheaper than White?

I don't disagree that you keep throwing darts at the board in regards to QB's....but I don't think you throw those darts in hopes of finding a back-up, you're hoping to unearth the next Purdy or Brady to hopefully supplant your current QB. Backup QB's are a dime a dozen for what you're hoping they'll provide, which is someone who can win 1-2 games if your starter misses 3-4 games. Ultimately you want to keep your starter healthy and never see your backup QB. If you have a backup QB that can take over, if you lose your starter for the year, and get your team to the playoffs and possibly the SB....you won't have that backup the next year. Depth at QB is great, but the reality is, your backup will be quite a drop-off from your starter, regardless of how hard you try to get quality depth. If he's not, you trade one of them for assets to improve your team in other areas.....or pray to God you hit the lottery in the next draft because both your QB's suck.

What is cheaply? Cheaper than White?

I don't disagree that you keep throwing darts at the board in regards to QB's....but I don't think you throw those darts in hopes of finding a back-up, you're hoping to unearth the next Purdy or Brady to hopefully supplant your current QB. Backup QB's are a dime a dozen for what you're hoping they'll provide, which is someone who can win 1-2 games if your starter misses 3-4 games. Ultimately you want to keep your starter healthy and never see your backup QB. If you have a backup QB that can take over, if you lose your starter for the year, and get your team to the playoffs and possibly the SB....you won't have that backup the next year. Depth at QB is great, but the reality is, your backup will be quite a drop-off from your starter, regardless of how hard you try to get quality depth. If he's not, you trade one of them for assets to improve your team in other areas.....or pray to God you hit the lottery in the next draft because both your QB's suck.
Yeah. He's making less than White.

Of course. You never draft players to be career backups. You draft them to be backups initially with the hope they'll be starters.

Yeah. He's making less than White.

Of course. You never draft players to be career backups. You draft them to be backups initially with the hope they'll be starters.
Wow, can't believe he's making less than White....that's quite the fall from grace!

White's cap number of $5.2 million is simply too high for an unproven backup that will never start in Miami. He threw six passes in mop up duty last season and his sole incompletion was a pick six.

I suspect that identifying and keeping a competent backup QB is not as easy as so many here pass it off to be. They ignore the simple fact that any backup QB in the NFL will probably need to learn AND become functional in a new offensive system.

Those that understate the time and effort to become a QB in a new system are basically hanging out a sign that says: "unknowledgeable, presumptive fan".

On the positive side, that sign will be accurate. - LOL

Not that I would be opposed, but why would a guy with 196m in career earnings care to hold a clipboard?
I know but I’m wondering if he will have a starting job anywhere next year?

Again, I stated I would leave it up to McDaniel to decide what to do as far as the backup QB is concerned.

The 49ers are merely one of 31 losers in the NFL. The only team that were a winner are the Chiefs because they have won the SB two years in a row. The Chiefs had Blaine Gabbert as their backup last year and if Mahomes had been injured and out for the season, Gabbert wasn’t going to lead the Chiefs to the SB.
True. But a couple years ago, the venerable Matt Moore kinda helped them keep their no 1 seed when he had to play 2.5 games and played great.

I disagree. Starting top QB salaries are in the 50's AAV now.
Mike White is a backup. He's either ass or can play well enough for the team to stay in the game.
It's a clear downgrade from Tua to White, but that's the reality of the QB position in the NFL.
White has one full year of being the backup, and should grasp McDaniel's playbook if need be for a game or 2 this upcoming season.

Maybe they can renegotiate his deal and make it more playing time incentive based to keep him on the roster. But I'm not a fan of trying to save a few mil and go with a backup rookie QB.

I think this is the year to target a QB in rounds 5-7. Skylar Thompson will be 27 and looks to be who he is at this point. Getting a young guy in the building as a 3rd stringer that could develop into a backup.

Back
Top Bottom