The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread | Page 123 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread

phunwin said:
Barry Zito, you're next.

Zito, Glavine, Maine, and some combination of Perez, Pelfrey, Humber and Bannister in the last two spots, with Pedro coming back at midseason? I'll take that.

If I were Omar I'd pretend that Pedro is never coming back. That's why I feel he has to sign Zito because Pedro may very well never pitch again.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Met and Marlins make a small deal.

Minaya swung a deal with the Florida Marlins, sending two hard-throwing right-handed relievers -- Henry Owens and Matt Lindstrom -- to the Marlins for two lefties, Jason Vargas and Adam Bostick.

Vargas was 1-1 in five games as a starter for the Marlins last year before getting bumped from the rotation and then to the minor leagues. ... The Mets claimed right-handed reliever Jason Standridge on waivers from the Reds. He was 1-1 with a 4.82 ERA last season.

Anything you can tell me about Owens or Lindstrom?

I can tell you Vargas sucked last year :lol:

Ray Finkle said:
If I were Omar I'd pretend that Pedro is never coming back. That's why I feel he has to sign Zito because Pedro may very well never pitch again.

I would too, actually. I think they should (and probably will) treat anything Pedro gives them as a bonus.

Alex44 said:

Owens, as I understand it, was the key to the deal for Florida. I like Owens, though he's kind of a late bloomer type (made his MLB debut at age 27 last year...from AA no less). He was, if I remember, a converted catcher. Had an absolutely sick K rate in AA last year - 16.65 K/9 IP. You can scope out the rest of his minor league stats here.

Vargas did suck last year, but looks to me like a kid with talent who was moved up the organizational ladder too fast. In 2004, he's playing low A ball, then in 2005 he starts 13 games for the Marlins? I'm not surprised he struggled in 2006 after being rushed like that.

phunwin said:
Barry Zito, you're next.

Zito, Glavine, Maine, and some combination of Perez, Pelfrey, Humber and Bannister in the last two spots, with Pedro coming back at midseason? I'll take that.
Don't forget this guy :D
6019-1.jpg

lets all chant... "barry, barry, barry..."

Alex44 said:

Owens was up for only a little last year, he looks funny when he throws, very short reach back, but that's from being a catcher all his life. I tell you one thing, he throws smoke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phunwin said:
Barry Zito, you're next.

I'd be very afraid of that rotation if I was a Met fan. Glavine was very good this year but you cam't expect him to keep that up, Zito will be a nice addition but there will be a month or 2 where you scratch your head wondering what happened to him, little pedro is done and the NL SHOULD be alot stronger than a year ago.

nyjunc said:
I'd be very afraid of that rotation if I was a Met fan. Glavine was very good this year but you cam't expect him to keep that up, Zito will be a nice addition but there will be a month or 2 where you scratch your head wondering what happened to him, little pedro is done and the NL SHOULD be alot stronger than a year ago.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/glavito02.shtml

Actually, I do expect Glavine to keep it up at least one more season. If you look at his stats over the last three years, he's basically been the same pitcher. Last year, he struck out a few more hitters, but he also gave up a few more home runs. That combination tells me that he's throwing more strikes, since hitters tend to make more home runs out of balls that are in the strike zone. In any event, his statistical profile shows no real signs of decline.

Now, obviously, he's not going to keep it up forever. At some point, he'll stop being a quality pitcher. But his stats suggest that point probably won't come in 2007.

This is going to sound odd, but Jason Schmidt's probably a better candidate for decline than Glavine. His K/9 IP rate is falling off a cliff. Check out these strikeout rates over the last 4 years:

2003 - 9.01
2004 - 10.04
2005 - 8.63
2006 - 7.51

For a power pitcher like Schmidt, that's a problem. He's never been a control artist, and at age 34, it's unlikely that he'll become one.

Glavine's NEVER been a strikeout pitcher, he's traditionally relied on good control, getting ground ball outs and striking out about 5 guys per 9 innings. That type of pitcher ages better than a power pitcher.

And I forgot about El Duque. It's good that the Mets are looking at so many options for the rotation; it looks like they might need it.

nyjunc said:
Don't forget Glavine has already declined then had a resurgence.

True, but it looks increasingly like that 2003 season was an outlier. If you look at his ERA+ scores from 1999-2006, that 2003 season is the only one below 105. His average ERA+ for that period is 118.

Glavine will be fine, it was a no brainer, the rest of the staff is shaky, although I really liked what I saw from Maine, and just maybe Pelfrey will step in and meet his potential.

I hope Tom does well, I like him. I have met him a few times and he's a very nice guy so I hope he can have another really good year. pedro on the other hand I hope he has another year like last year. i hope he's healthy but just ineffective.

yeah, we need a healthy pedro, but dont know if thats asking too much.

The New York Mets have agreed to a deal with the Kansas City Royals that will send right-handed starter Brian Bannister to Kansas City for right-handed reliever Ambiorix Burgos, ESPN's Steve Phillips reports.
Bannister, 25, was 2-1 with a 4.26 ERA in eight appearances (six starts) last season. Burgos, 22, recorded 18 saves in 68 appearances, striking out 72 in 73 1/3 innings. The deal is expected to be announced on Wednesday.

decent deal, Banister would not make the staff anyway in my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom