The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread | Page 45 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread

phunwin said:
From Jon Heyman this morning:

He also says Alay Soler, not Pelfrey, is getting the next callup.
i saw that blurb. It appears that billy beane has resorted to crack injections on the hour. He couldnt even get Milledge or Pelfrey let alone wright or reyes. and in the offseason he'll get nothing for zito and love it.

As far as Pelfrey/Soler, only reason its not pelfrey is cause he pitched horrible last night night up giving up 4 runs (though only 2 earned) in 1&2/3 but more importantly he didnt locate is breaking pitches and hasnt done so in 2 of his last 3 outings. Hes got to get those over if hes going to get the call this year. The good news is that he has the ability to do so.

Boik14 said:
i saw that blurb. It appears that billy beane has resorted to crack injections on the hour. He couldnt even get Milledge or Pelfrey let alone wright or reyes. and in the offseason he'll get nothing for zito and love it.

Well, that's not entirely true. He'll probably get a first round pick...unless the A's fail to offer Zito arbitration. And they might not. So maybe he will get nothing and like it. Problem is, this team needs another starter NOW. 2007 is all well and good, but all the pieces are in place for a World Series run if they can add another starter.

I think it was Buster Olney who suggested it, but I'm a fan: go get a quality middle reliever and move Heilman to the rotation. They're going to do it eventually anyway, and Heilman's too good to be pitching 7th innings all year. A reliever is ALWAYS easier to acquire than a starter.

The NL East should be a 3-way race between the Mets, Phils and Braves right to the end. I think the Mets are going to need another starting pitcher or two, and soon......good luck finding one without giving up a lot. The Phils have decent but not great starting pitching...Gordon had made the Billy Wags deal a wash.....homers are flying out of Citizens Bank park like crazy. The Braves always seem to find a way to get hot and win the division, but I think without Leo Mazzoni, their pitching staff just isn't what it use to be. I think in September it will be:

1. Phils
2. Mets
3. Braves
4. Washington
5. Marlins

phunwin said:
Well, that's not entirely true. He'll probably get a first round pick...unless the A's fail to offer Zito arbitration. And they might not. So maybe he will get nothing and like it. Problem is, this team needs another starter NOW. 2007 is all well and good, but all the pieces are in place for a World Series run if they can add another starter.

I think it was Buster Olney who suggested it, but I'm a fan: go get a quality middle reliever and move Heilman to the rotation. They're going to do it eventually anyway, and Heilman's too good to be pitching 7th innings all year. A reliever is ALWAYS easier to acquire than a starter.
they called up soler.

Im not a fan of heilman in the rotation right now. Hes too important for us in middle relief and it would only tax the pen more while he built up his arm to work starter innings. next season id give him his shot.

Roman529 said:
The NL East should be a 3-way race between the Mets, Phils and Braves right to the end. I think the Mets are going to need another starting pitcher or two, and soon......good luck finding one without giving up a lot. The Phils have decent but not great starting pitching...Gordon had made the Billy Wags deal a wash.....homers are flying out of Citizens Bank park like crazy. The Braves always seem to find a way to get hot and win the division, but I think without Leo Mazzoni, their pitching staff just isn't what it use to be. I think in September it will be:

1. Phils
2. Mets
3. Braves
4. Washington
5. Marlins
Flip the mets and phils and you'll ave it right...but at least you got the last 3 right. and at least the braves arent winning this year, we hope

Boik14 said:
Flip the mets and phils and you'll ave it right...but at least you got the last 3 right. and at least the braves arent winning this year, we hope

Anybody but the Braves!!! :lol:

Boik14 said:
they called up soler.

Im not a fan of heilman in the rotation right now. Hes too important for us in middle relief and it would only tax the pen more while he built up his arm to work starter innings. next season id give him his shot.

I understand that point; that's pretty much exactly why Willie Randolph isn't moving him. But I think that a quality reliever could be picked up. Let Sanchez work the 8th, Wagner the 9th, and let Bradford, Julio, Feliciano, Oliver and the new guy handle the rest of the time. That works.

The other reason to put Heilman in the rotation is simple math: I'd rather get 200 innings from a good pitcher than 80.

No matter though, it sounds like they're keeping him in the pen, at least until next season.

phunwin said:
I understand that point; that's pretty much exactly why Willie Randolph isn't moving him. But I think that a quality reliever could be picked up. Let Sanchez work the 8th, Wagner the 9th, and let Bradford, Julio, Feliciano, Oliver and the new guy handle the rest of the time. That works.

The other reason to put Heilman in the rotation is simple math: I'd rather get 200 innings from a good pitcher than 80.

No matter though, it sounds like they're keeping him in the pen, at least until next season.
the new guy (anderson garcia) was sent down when soler was called up.

I definitely understand the point about getting more innings from heilman, i thought about it that was also, but right now we can probably find a kyle loshe or someone to be a 5th starter faster than we find a reliable middle reliever with a 1.77era and falling. Right now id rather have heilmann able to appear in 65-70 games as opposed to 35.

Philles and Mets tonight wahooooo!!!!! :tongue:

Philadelphia (23-20) at NY Mets (26-17)Preview - Box Score - Recap
Game Info: 7:10 pm EDT Tue May 23, 2006
TV: CSN, SNY
Add to Calendar | Buy Tickets Currently: Flushing, NY Temp: 67° F</SPAN> Starting Pitchers
G. Floyd
Phi vs.
S. Trachsel
NYM 4-2Record2-45.71ERA4.3322K2523BB178HR3By JUSTIN EINHORN, STATS Senior Editor

The New York Mets came away with a big series win over the weekend. This series may be bigger.
At least that's the way the Philadelphia Phillies see it.
The first-place Mets face their closest pursuers in the NL East for the second time in two weeks when they begin a three-game set against the Phillies on Tuesday at Shea Stadium.
"Anytime you play (the Mets), it's going to be big," said Phillies slugger Ryan Howard, who has homered in the last two games to increase his May totals to nine home runs and 22 RBIs in 18 games.

It's early, but at the same time, you want to treat it as every game."
While the Phillies are trying to show they are more like the team that won 13 of 14 and not the one that more recently lost five in a row, the Mets have controlled the division throughout the season after starting 8-1.
New York even got the better of its usually superior crosstown rival this weekend, winning two of three games -- all decided by one run --against the Yankees.
"Right now, they're definitely the team to beat," Philadelphia manager Charlie Manuel said of the Mets, who have a three-game lead on the second-place Phillies. When New York visited Citizens Bank Park from May 9-11, Philadelphia won two of three games. The Mets' 13-4 victory in the middle game of that series was the Phillies' only loss during a 14-game stretch that pulled them within one game of New York. Philadelphia, though, went on to lose five straight before salvaging the finale of a three-game series against Boston with a 10-5 win on Sunday.

its definitely a big series and our teams play each other 18 more times between now and late august so we'll be seeing a lot of you in his thread i take it :)

I think the mets have a new stud sp prospect on the horizon. Man it feels great to have a real gm in place because even with our lack of high picks minaya is finding ways to stack the famr and considering how many great players are found in late rounds or undrafted (mo rivera, abreu, furcal, pedro martinez, johan, david ortiz....this list goes on forever) i think the hype can be justified.

Pedro Beato seems to have re-emerged as an elite pitching prospect this year in junior college. The Mets stole him in the 17th round last year after he had TJ surgery in 2004 and his fastball is back up in the mid-90s and Baseball America lists him as a first round pick this June if the Mets don't sign him, though they say we are expected to meet his demands. He is ranked #13 on Baseball America's top 200 amateur prospects list.

He is 6'6" 215 pounds with a 95-96 mph fastball and a plus slider, according to Baseball America.

http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?threadID=3722657&#23758779

From Baseball America:

RHP Pedro Beato, who moved to New York from the Dominican Republic six years ago, is projectable at 6-foot-6 and 215 pounds. He might have challenged Alvarez to be the first high school player taken in the state had he not had Tommy John surgery in April of 2004 and come back slowly this year. His velocity, up to 92 mph as a sophomore and 93 as a junior, was mostly in the 86-88 range this spring, though it occasionally reached 90. He didn’t show much of a breaking ball because he was afraid to cut loose with the pitch. Beato indicated he wouldn't sign, but emerged as a prime draft-and-follow candidate after committing to Seminole (Fla.) Community College. He has dominated the junior college circuit this year and his fastball has recently been clocked in the 95-96 range along with a much improved slider that is now considered a plus pitch. If the Mets don't sign him, he is instantly the top prospect from the state of Florida and one of the top college pitchers in this year's draft.

Man a good game going on right now. I thought Reyes hit that one out at first, especially judging how Abreu had his back to the wall.

beltrannnnnnn baby finally! in the 16th inning.

poor ryan madson pitched awesome in relief for philly. ah well thats where my sympathy ends.

Back
Top Bottom