The Official 2006 New York Yankees Thread! | Page 144 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2006 New York Yankees Thread!

nyjunc said:
girardi is absolutely viewed as a Yankee, he was an important player during the latest dynasty years and I want him as the next Yankee Manager NOT Mattingly.

Also Mattingly has never had any managing experience in any level. Putting him into the fire in NY without any real experience might be a mistake. He might be better off spending next year at Triple or Double A learning where the games don't matter.

Ray Finkle said:
Also Mattingly has never had any managing experience in any level. Putting him into the fire in NY without any real experience might be a mistake. He might be better off spending next year at Triple or Double A learning where the games don't matter.

Not to mention he is a complete jinx:D He came up in '82 the year after the yanks made the WS in '81 and retired after the '95 season and the Yanks won the WS a year later in '96 THEN the yanks went to 6 WS in 8 years and made it in 2003 then donnie was hired as a coach the next year and we haven't been back since.

nyjunc said:
Not to mention he is a complete jinx:D He came up in '82 the year after the yanks made the WS in '81 and retired after the '95 season and the Yanks won the WS a year later in '96 THEN the yanks went to 6 WS in 8 years and made it in 2003 then donnie was hired as a coach the next year and we haven't been back since.

You forget in 1997 he was invited for Spring Training and helped out with the club and hadn't returned to help again until 2001 (also helped in 2002 until he got hired in 03). So you may be on to him being a jinx.

nyjunc said:
girardi is absolutely viewed as a Yankee, he was an important player during the latest dynasty years and I want him as the next Yankee Manager NOT Mattingly.

isn't going to happen

And Girardi isn't viewed as a "yankee" by the front office

Ray Finkle said:

thats overrated. put a solid bench coach next to him and he will be fine. Not to mention he has been sitting next to Joe for years now. Going on his 4th I believe. That's enough experience right there

I dont' remember Ozzie Guillen having any manager experience and look how fast he won a ring.

MikeO said:
isn't going to happen

And Girardi isn't viewed as a "yankee" by the front office

Sure he is, why do you think they keep bringing him back? Oviously he's not thouht of the way Mattingly is by George but he is definiely considered a Yankee.

Trading Sheff for 3 bullpen arms, and trading Wright for a bullpen arm were brillant moves.....resigning Moose for 2 more was a no brainer.

If we land Zito and/or Schmidt then we are sitting pretty. I think I like the lefty over the power righty, and getting both would be huge only with injuries still risky for RJ and the unknown of Pavano's return.

A solid reliable defensive 1B is still a need. I also like our Farm depth with arms so no issues so far with offseason moves...kudos to Torre and Cashman.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061107&content_id=142758&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

BigDogsHunt said:
Trading Sheff for 3 bullpen arms, and trading Wright for a bullpen arm were brillant moves.....resigning Moose for 2 more was a no brainer.

If we land Zito and/or Schmidt then we are sitting pretty. I think I like the lefty over the power righty, and getting both would be huge only with injuries still risky for RJ and the unknown of Pavano's return.

A solid reliable defensive 1B is still a need. I also like our Farm depth with arms so no issues so far with offseason moves...kudos to Torre and Cashman.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061107&content_id=142758&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

I agree with you 100%

Hey, any of you Yanks fans wanna chime in on the "Big Unit" trade back to the dessert? I think you are coming out of this pretty darn good, with the exception of Vizcaino.

Minor leaguers Alberto Gonzolez (Very nice 2nd base and can play shortstop) and reliever Steven Jackson (Very hard throwing middle reliever) are both solid prospects. Both these guys were serious reasons the Tuscon Sidewinders won the Minor league world series last year...you yanks fans do remember what it feels like winning the world series....right?
All kidding aside, you got rid of Johnson-I am not that thrilled he is back in the desert, and you got something you havent traded for in quite some time...some top notch minor leaguers. Have fun watching this kid Gonzalez on the base path..any shot in the gap is a serious chance of being a triple.
az

Cashman has done a bang up job and gets major props.

Combine this RJ deal with the Sheff and Wright deals and we added solid prospects to the farm system, some immediate bullpen depth, and lowered payroll.

what is not to like?

Cashman has done a bang up job and gets major props.

Combine this RJ deal with the Sheff and Wright deals and we added solid prospects to the farm system, some immediate bullpen depth, and lowered payroll.

what is not to like?

The main thing those moves did was give NY some trade bait. NY will never be a team that will groom 3 or 4 pitchers like Detroit who will take over the rotation spots in the future. Maybe 1 guy like a Hughes or so. But NY now has prospects that other teams value and NY can now make moves in July to go out and get a big arm.

I think the whole "farm system" thing is vastly overrated. Everyone said NY's farm system sucks, well you got Cano, Melky, Wang, all on the major league roster. Cano almost won a battling title and Wang the cy young. How "sucky" could it have been???????? But young pitching arms is what other teams want and now NY has something to move in trades!!

The main thing those moves did was give NY some trade bait. NY will never be a team that will groom 3 or 4 pitchers like Detroit who will take over the rotation spots in the future. Maybe 1 guy like a Hughes or so. But NY now has prospects that other teams value and NY can now make moves in July to go out and get a big arm.

I think the whole "farm system" thing is vastly overrated. Everyone said NY's farm system sucks, well you got Cano, Melky, Wang, all on the major league roster. Cano almost won a battling title and Wang the cy young. How "sucky" could it have been???????? But young pitching arms is what other teams want and now NY has something to move in trades!!

Agreed, increase to the farm system is increase to trade options that other teams might like. The fact that other teams may have undervalued our farm system proves that Cashman knows what he is doing.

Splitting hairs but its one in the same for me. Whether we use our farm system to produce players to directly help the MLB Yanks or indirectly its the same thing to me. Bodies to help the team.

The times you can bring up a Jeter, Pettitte, and Rivera through the system, are few and far between, but if handled correctly, we could mix in some youth thru the system like Cano, Melky, Wang, and use others for trade bait and accomplish the same thing.

Cashman has had a great offseason!

Agreed, increase to the farm system is increase to trade options that other teams might like. The fact that other teams may have undervalued our farm system proves that Cashman knows what he is doing.

Splitting hairs but its one in the same for me. Whether we use our farm system to produce players to directly help the MLB Yanks or indirectly its the same thing to me. Bodies to help the team.

The times you can bring up a Jeter, Pettitte, and Rivera through the system, are few and far between, but if handled correctly, we could mix in some youth thru the system like Cano, Melky, Wang, and use others for trade bait and accomplish the same thing.

Cashman has had a great offseason!

I think the Yankees got extremely lucky with Cano, Wang and Melky. Not because they aren't talented/good players but because Cashman and the Yankees were trying everything to trade them for anything since 2004 to last year. The funny thing is no team wanted them. Which goes to show that you never know what you'll get with young prospects.

That's not a knock on any of those players but sometimes the best deals teams make are the ones that are never made.

randyzona-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom