The Official 2006 New York Yankees Thread! | Page 143 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2006 New York Yankees Thread!

MikeO said:
I will say this about Sheff. A guy of his caliber in the final year of his contract will probably put up HUGE numbers.

He may be unhappy. He may complain every day. He may even throw the manager under the bus. But when he's at the plate in the final year of his contract he will probably have a monster year. AND not get injured!!!

Sheff's gotta go. They picked up this option to trade him, simple as that. He'll be unhappy next year....it just won't be in a Yankees uniform. He's a goner!

MikeO said:
Trade AROD and move Sheff to 3rd base (his old position)??

One of the reasons I can think of as to why they made this move. I Just hope they try not to have him play first base on a full time basis

Sheff couldn't handle first, what makes you think he'll handle third? Yeah Sheff played third, 10+ years ago. If it comes down to A-Rod or Sheff at third I'll take A-Rod everyday of the week. The Yankees picked up Sheff option to trade him because they know he will bring back something decent. The free-agent markets is top heavy this year meaning that once the elite players are gone there will be nothing left. The Yankees did this to get something in return for him. No way they can bring back Sheff after the way he's acted this month. It's sad he's acted this way to because instead of the Yankees telling him to stay home at the end of this past season like they should have, the put him at first and gave him a chance to be a team player. What does Sheff do, he acts like a jerk again. If Sheff just played the game and kept his mouth shut, he'd be fine but since he finds it neccesary to be out-spoken when it's not neccesary, he's got to go!

actually this move just might prevent Sheff from going to Boston or the Mets.

MikeO said:
actually this move just might prevent Sheff from going to Boston or the Mets.

I would love to see Sheff in Boston ripping balls that would clear the Yankee Stadium fence by a mile into the Monster for single day in and day out LMAO. I don't know how many balls Sheffield has hit into the monster as a Yankee that should have been homers that turned into fenway singles but it was a lot. Honestly, the Red Sox can have him although I like the move to pick up his contract and to get something for him. Why should we let him go for nothing when we can get something in return for him? Obviously these GM's that have been blowing up Cashman's phone about him made Cash realize that there's more value to picking up the option and hearing Sheff complain for a month then letting him go for nothing. A deal will get done whether it's just for a reliever or not but it gives the Yankees leverage and another chip to deal for pitching!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
I would love to see Sheff in Boston ripping balls that would clear the Yankee Stadium fence by a mile into the Monster for single day in and day out LMAO. I don't know how many balls Sheffield has hit into the monster as a Yankee that should have been homers that turned into fenway singles but it was a lot. Honestly, the Red Sox can have him although I like the move to pick up his contract and to get something for him. Why should we let him go for nothing when we can get something in return for him? Obviously these GM's that have been blowing up Cashman's phone about him made Cash realize that there's more value to picking up the option and hearing Sheff complain for a month then letting him go for nothing!

Even if we only get a mid-level prospect for him, its worth it.

Or if a team wants to part with a top prospect or proven player, I'm sure NY would pick up a small portion of his contract for only 1 year if the deal made sense. It isn't like he has 5 years left on his contract, just 12 months for crying out loud!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
I would love to see Sheff in Boston ripping balls that would clear the Yankee Stadium fence by a mile into the Monster for single day in and day out LMAO. I don't know how many balls Sheffield has hit into the monster as a Yankee that should have been homers that turned into fenway singles but it was a lot. Honestly, the Red Sox can have him although I like the move to pick up his contract and to get something for him. Why should we let him go for nothing when we can get something in return for him? Obviously these GM's that have been blowing up Cashman's phone about him made Cash realize that there's more value to picking up the option and hearing Sheff complain for a month then letting him go for nothing. A deal will get done whether it's just for a reliever or not but it gives the Yankees leverage and another chip to deal for pitching!

No thanks. I'm glad the Yankees picked up Sheffield's contract so it gurantees that he's not coming to Boston.

Ray Finkle said:
No thanks. I'm glad the Yankees picked up Sheffield's contract so it gurantees that he's not coming to Boston.

Boston wouldn't pay an older Pedro and Damon, did you REALLY think they were going to give a 3 year contract to 39 year old Gary Sheffield at about $40-45 mill??? Seriously!!!!!!!!!!

MikeO said:
Boston wouldn't pay an older Pedro and Damon, did you REALLY think they were going to give a 3 year contract to 39 year old Gary Sheffield at about $40-45 mill??? Seriously!!!!!!!!!!

Nope, not at all. You can't really fault the Sox for letting Pedro walk because they knew his arm was going to fall off sooner than later.

Coaching shake up

Lee Mazziili GONE
Don Mattingly the new Bench Coach
Kevin Long the new hitting coach

These moves all but seals the deal on one very important thing. Don Mattingly is taking over for Joe once Joe is done after this year. Or if the Yanks get out of the gate slow, and Joe is fired mid-season they got the guy they want already in place. Moving him to bench coach makes it all but official.

MikeO said:
Coaching shake up

Lee Mazziili GONE
Don Mattingly the new Bench Coach
Kevin Long the new hitting coach

These moves all but seals the deal on one very important thing. Don Mattingly is taking over for Joe once Joe is done after this year. Or if the Yanks get out of the gate slow, and Joe is fired mid-season they got the guy they want already in place. Moving him to bench coach makes it all but official.

Surprised to hear about Maz, but not shocked.

Was K. Long brought up from the Minors and was he hitting coach down there?

BigDogsHunt said:
Surprised to hear about Maz, but not shocked.

Was K. Long brought up from the Minors and was he hitting coach down there?

Yeah, Long came up from AAA I believe. Not really sure how I feel about all of it though. I think Donnie Baseball was an excellent hitting coach and I hate to take him out of that position. Then again I guess he can still help with the hitting instruction. Would have prefered to see Girardi on the bench next to Torre myself....

sheff has to go, it will not be pretty if we keep him, the same thing went down in LA

even if we get a solid pitching prospect it is worth letting him go

bobby is a much better fit for the yankees , he can hit homeruns, steal bases, makes great contact and is a good guy to have in the clubhouse

i think after bobby's contract is up we will see melky take left or right field

the only thing keeping us from #27 is pitching, i think this year the yanks are going to make huge leaps in the rotation and the pen

if we could land zito and matsuzaka i think we have a great shot

i also like to sure up the pen

proctor is great and farnsworth was battleing back issues

i would like to see what a healthy dotel could do

AggieFin21 said:
Yeah, Long came up from AAA I believe. Not really sure how I feel about all of it though. I think Donnie Baseball was an excellent hitting coach and I hate to take him out of that position. Then again I guess he can still help with the hitting instruction. Would have prefered to see Girardi on the bench next to Torre myself....

Girardi won't be anywhere near a Yankee bench. This job is Mattingly's and they want to make it clear as clear can be!!!

MikeO said:
Girardi won't be anywhere near a Yankee bench. This job is Mattingly's and they want to make it clear as clear can be!!!

Sure seems to be the case with Donnie Baseball (surprised only since it means a lot of missed time with his family - one of the things he had to be convinced on when he accepted hitting coach duties). Just never thought Don was manager material or I should say driven to be one.

As far as Giradi, yeah, while he spent time here in the organization he isnt viewed as a Yankee. I am very surprised the Cubs passed on him completely though. Seemed like an ideal fit.

Wish sweet Lou nothing but the best (execpt if they face us in WS of course).

BigDogsHunt said:
Sure seems to be the case with Donnie Baseball (surprised only since it means a lot of missed time with his family - one of the things he had to be convinced on when he accepted hitting coach duties). Just never thought Don was manager material or I should say driven to be one.

As far as Giradi, yeah, while he spent time here in the organization he isnt viewed as a Yankee. I am very surprised the Cubs passed on him completely though. Seemed like an ideal fit.

Wish sweet Lou nothing but the best (execpt if they face us in WS of course).

girardi is absolutely viewed as a Yankee, he was an important player during the latest dynasty years and I want him as the next Yankee Manager NOT Mattingly.

Back
Top Bottom