The Official 2008 Boston Red Sox Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2008 Boston Red Sox Thread

:D Guess I'm just being a bit paranoid, always waiting for something bad to happen when everything seems to be going so well. I have noticed the Manny thing as well, although, all it's takes is Manny waking up on the wrong side of the bed one morning and then we're right back to "Manny being Manny" and asking for a trade out of Boston.

I wouldn't be paranoid about Francona getting signed. He deserves it, the players and FO love him and really he's done a great job with the team since he's been here. There's no way he'll walk nor does he want too.

I wouldn't be paranoid about Francona getting signed. He deserves it, the players and FO love him and really he's done a great job with the team since he's been here. There's no way he'll walk nor does he want too.

btw working on your new sig now. :up:

btw working on your new sig now. :up:

Nice. Just In Flames being In Flames?

clear.gif

I was wondering the same thing about Francona, I figured he would have signed an extension soon after the WS but still nothing with pitchers and catchers reporting to camp in less then a month.

You guys in BOSDONE have won enough already...go away!!!! :shakeno:

OHHHH and you got lucky the Rockies had an 8 day vacation before the World Series or you would have been toast. :lol:

You guys in BOSDONE have won enough already...go away!!!! :shakeno:

OHHHH and you got lucky the Rockies had an 8 day vacation before the World Series or you would have been toast. :lol:
:loser: <---ah look at that, one smilie to sum up my entire response to this post as well as Colorado's postseason.

j/k Roman. You've got a good, young team that will be competing once again this coming post season. :up:

Well, nothing new or of great importance to report so I thought I'd just give an update on the Santana situation.

The Johan Santana trade discussions have reached a quiet but crucial stage. The Twins know what they can get. And they realize none of the packages will appease their fans, who might never forgive them for trading the two-time Cy Young Award winner. Still, Twins officials privately say they think Santana will be traded before spring training opens next month. For now, the Twins and the three most interested Santana suitors -- the Mets, Yankees and Red Sox -- are regrouping, trying to decide how far beyond their comfort zones they will go to close this deal. The end result might leave some Twins fans gasping for breath. It's possible the Twins will trade Santana without landing one player who is universally recognized as a big help in 2008. Lately, the Twins have seemed most intrigued with the Mets' offer. The Mets are offering some combination of the following five players: Carlos Gomez, Fernando Martinez, Deolis Guerra, Philip Humber and Kevin Mulvey. Gomez, 22, could step in immediately as the Twins' starting center fielder, but some scouts are skeptical about his bat. The Twins are much higher on Martinez, 19, and Guerra, 18, even though they realize both might be in the minors until 2010. As for Humber and Mulvey, neither projects as better than a No. 4 starter. But if the Red Sox and Yankees don't improve their offers -- and the Twins have reason to believe they won't -- Santana could wind up with the Mets. The Twins would make that deal and step into a public relations nightmare.

Source

As far as I'm concerned, I say go after him METS. I'm fine just as long as he doesn't end up in pinstripes.

Well, nothing new or of great importance to report so I thought I'd just give an update on the Santana situation.

As far as I'm concerned, I say go after him METS. I'm fine just as long as he doesn't end up in pinstripes.

As I said in the Mets thread, I think Santana will be traded to them before ST starts. It just makes too much sense for them to get him while also starting a young player/prospect war between the Red Sox and Yankees.

If it costs us Mets fans Fernando The King Martinez I am dead set against it. Kid is 18 years old and was starting to hit well in AA prior to an injury that basically derailed his season. Last year in ST as a 17 year old he didnt look out of place. I can sit here and tell you with a straight face I wouldnt deal him for anyone and I am not someone who falls in love with prospects. To be his age and have the discipline and pitch recognition he has is flat out scary. Hes taken about 1-2 months to adjust at every level before exploding.

I would love to see the mets land him (he and Pedro as a 1-2 punch followed by ollie and maine would be scary) but only if the price is right. We have a slew of guys in their contract year and Wilpon has a penchant for being a little cheap at times. And we cant overpay in prospects because of all the holes that may have to be filled: 1B: Delgado, LF: Alou, SP: Ollie Perez, pedro, and 5th starter currently El Duque. Because of these questions Id be opposed to anything more then say Guerra, Humber, Gomez. Thats a SP and a CF who can contribute now and a SP who is 18 and looked good in AA who should contribute by late 09/early 10 and eventually make his way to the top of the rotation.

Sox signed Dan Kolb and Dan Miceli to contracts. You can never have enough bullpen arms to go around.

Sox signed Dan Kolb and Dan Miceli to contracts. You can never have enough bullpen arms to go around.

True you can never have enough bullpen arms but if either of those guys spend more than 2 months with the team it probably means the pen is in big trouble.

Should be interesting to see how Manny Delcarmen does this year in a bigger role and also to see if Craig Hansen can give the team some innings after he had a pretty good end of the season and good AFL.

Just keeping the thread alive with something to think about in the near future. ;)

Show and tell
Manny Ramírez's 2009 option has to be exercised by Nov. 10 of this year. The Red Sox will not act in haste; much as they waited on Curt Schilling, they'll wait to see what type of year the 36-year-old Ramírez has before making a decision. The option is for $20 million, which the Sox don't mind paying if he shows he's still one of the game's elite hitters. His regular-season numbers dropped last season, but he was still a force in the postseason. The Sox don't have anyone knocking at the door in the farm system to replace Ramírez. Brandon Moss could be a fine player but is unlikely to have anything close to Ramírez's production.

source

Just keeping the thread alive with something to think about in the near future. ;)
IMO Manny needs to have an another average Manny year for that option to be picked up otherwise he will be moving on.

IMO Manny needs to have an another average Manny year for that option to be picked up otherwise he will be moving on.

Maybe, I haven't looked at the 2008 OF FAs fully but I know Adam Dunn is a FA, if the Sox can sign him then they'd probably let Manny walk, although their line up would be too left handed heavy.

My guess is the Sox pick up Manny's option even if he has the same year he did in 2007. An older Manny is still better than the Luis Gonzalez, Trot Nixon, Garrett Anderson's of the world, even for 20 million. Because there's no such thing as a bad 1 year deal and it's not like the Sox are hurting for cash.

Back
Top Bottom