The Official Miami Heat March to the Lottery Thread. | Page 39 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official Miami Heat March to the Lottery Thread.

Was just about to say Jackson was traded. I'm looking forward to a lineup with Chalmers, Wade, Beasley, Marion, and Haslem... gonna be sick!

With Beasley being the tallest player on the floor at 6'8? Even the Suns would think twice about that....

Haslem has experience at center- he played it at the end of this past season. I see it only for a year possibly cause I doubt Marion will be back after this season. Wouldn't be shocked if he's traded this season either.

I like Haslem but he can only play one position on the floor. And its debatable whether he can even survive at PF without having a true center next to him. He had a really rough go of it with that useless stiff Blount.

The problem with Haslem is that hes so limited offensively that he can't create a mismatch on that end of the court. At least when the Suns were toying with Diaw at center they knew he could take his man off the dribble anytime he felt like it. UD can do one thing....hit the open 15 ft shot. Remember what Nocioni did to him two years ago?

Eh, I wouldn't want Haslem as our starting Center either. But if we don't get any good trade value, I'll live with it for one season. It's a rebuilding season. I know Marion/Haslem/Beasley can outrebound most teams in the league.

Our post defense will be non existant just like Denver's though, or worse. lol

Still hoping we can get some trade value for Haslem, a big to start at the 5 or a point guard to groom Chalmers, or maybe some veteran depth. We can always use the MLE on a player like Diop. Diop should be thinking, he can actually START in Miami and should be interested to sign here. Center position is wide open.

Its not only the fact that he can't defend the position. Look what it did to guys like Jermaine O'Neal, Stoudamire, Krstic, Okafor etc.... Believe me, none of those guys want to play the five ever again.

The plan right now looks to be a set up for the '09 pursuit of Brand/Boozer. But I'm sure Riles will make it known that everyone outside Wade and the rookies is up for grabs, and another blockbuster trade shouldn't surprise anyone.

Though the class is mediocre, Pat Riley said he will enter free agency Tuesday expecting to add quality pieces partly because only a few teams (Memphis, Philadelphia) have much cap room, and ``there are going to be a lot of players that eventually filter to the exception or part of it.''The Heat would be comfortable splitting the $5.8 million exception to fill two needs among point guard, center and a wing player to upgrade over Ricky Davis. At least one should be addressed via trade. But with Miami and others eyeing cap space in a year or two, Riley said, ``A lot of short [term] money will have to be accepted by these guys . . . We've got to protect our backside in 2010.''

Riley bypassed others last summer while waiting on Mo Williams. But unless Elton Brand opts out, there are few potential pie-in-the-sky unrestricted free-agent targets. Gilbert Arenas wants to re-sign with Washington (if Antawn Jamison does), and Corey Maggette and Ron Artest (if they opt out) make sense only if Shawn Marion is traded.

The Heat privately expects the Nets' DeSagana Diop -- the top available center -- to return to Dallas and believes point guard Beno Udrih will get a multiyear deal in Sacramento or elsewhere. A friend said coveted Warriors restricted free agent point guard Monta Ellis would love to play here, but that requires a sign-and-trade, and the Warriors prefer to keep him.

• Riley said he still might trade for a point guard, with Memphis ( Kyle Lowry, among others) considered in play. Otherwise, the Heat believes it can find a stopgap starter from a free agent group including Chris Duhon, Carlos Arroyo, Keyon Dooling, Anthony Johnson, Tyronn Lue, Jannero Pargo and Anthony Carter. And the Heat likes restricted free agent Sebastian Telfair, though Minnesota can match any offer.

Plus, ''I can't wait to see what Mario Chalmers can do,'' Riley said. But ``I'm not expecting miracles from a young kid.''

There really is nothing available via free agency at the five spot outside of Diop so I'm guessing hes going to get his choice of teams. That doesn't bode well for Miami's chances of landing him.

And you can add Raymond Felton to the list of available PGs via trade.

Just saw on ESPN Bottom Line that Baron Davis has opted out of his contract... would absolutely LOVE it if he could come to Miami.

Beasley elbowed in chest during first Heat practice

MIAMI -- Michael Beasley's first official practice with the Miami Heat ended quickly.

4388-1.jpg
Beasley

Beasley was struck in the chest by an inadvertent elbow during a defensive drill about 45 minutes into Miami's first summer-league workout session Wednesday, and the No. 2 overall pick in last week's NBA draft was taken to a doctor for observation

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3470943&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

I got this info from the Heat's board

Spoke with Joel Bell, Mike’s agent, this morning.

In Beasley’s first (summer league) practice with the Miami Heat - after he signed a contract, Bell pointed out - he was driving to the basket and received an accidental elbow in the chest. Heat officials were concerned and took Beasley to the hospital. It was discovered Beasley has a hairline fracture of his sternum, and the No. 2 pick will sit out 3-5 days. Beasley did return for an evening session, participating in shooting drills, etc., and he’ll probably still make his Heat (summer league) debut Monday against the Chicago Bulls.

http://heat.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5700037552/m/4630027065

Great.. I hate Antony Washington now. (The guy that elbowed him on the chest)

Beasley takes Round 1 with fellow top draft pick Rose

Michael Beasley stood in the doorway to the gym an hour before gametime, iPod in his left hand, head bobbing slightly as he chatted with new Miami Heat teammate Mario Chalmers.
He was the picture of cool.

And on the court, his demeanor didn't change much.
If Beasley was the tiniest bit anxious about his first pro outing -- one that came against the Chicago Bulls and Derrick Rose, the only player selected before him in last month's NBA draft -- he hid the nerves perfectly.

Beasley scored 28 points in 23 minutes, lifting Miami past Chicago 94-70 on Monday in the Orlando summer league opener for both teams.
It was the ninth-highest scoring performance in Orlando summer league history, and true to his form, Beasley wasn't the least bit impressed.
"Could have played better," he said. "Could have got a couple more assists, made a couple extra passes, got a couple more rebounds, could have got a couple stops early on."

He was 9-for-21 from the field, with nine rebounds and 19 points in the second half -- matching the total that Bulls forwards Joakim Noah and Tyrus Thomas managed in the entire game. The Bulls started with Thomas guarding Beasley, switched to put Noah on him midway through the first quarter, and neither had much of an answer.:hi5:

"He's a great player on the pick-and-roll and he's going to be someone who'll be very tough to guard," Noah said. "I mean, I was very impressed. He was very comfortable in everything that he wanted to do and he did a great job."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3477216

This is excellent news!!! Beasley dominated!! I know its the Summer League, but its nice to see that he can go against a couple of pros and school them in the process.

It all looks so easy for him out there, whether its stepping back and hitting the three or drawing the contact and finishing around the rim. He and Wade need to spend some time together this summer and work on playing off each other.....if they get it down they'll be tough to stop.

And what a steal in Chalmers. If he can prove that he can knock down the nba three consistently Riley might just call off the search for a starting PG. It would be quite refreshing to see a guard in Miami that actually plays defense every night.

We have signed James Jones to a 5 year deal, the final 3 years conditional (guess this protects us for 2010).

I hope this means the end of the Dorrell Wright project. I am very happy with this signing, I think he will be very good for our team and can provide spacing for Wade and Beasley with his proven NBA range (finished in the Top 3 last season beyond the arc).

Much needed signing since we don't have a veteran three point threat. Plus a good defensive player, better than what the stat sheet says. Hopefully his knees can stay healthy.

Back
Top Bottom