the official stanford vs usc game thread ie luck vs barkley... | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

the official stanford vs usc game thread ie luck vs barkley...

Great game. I was a little irritated I missed the first half but it turns out I didn't miss much at all.

Stanford needs to play in more games like this. I like watching Luck test his mettle. Watching him this season has almost been boring in it's ease.

What's great is with Stanford winning this game it sets up a possible bowl game with them versus the loser of LSU/Alabama in a bowl game (with Oklahoma State playing for the national championship, assuming they beat Oklahoma... either way Stanford will probably be ranked higher than the loser of that game, assuming they beat Oregon, lol).

Last edited by a moderator:
stanford should take owusu off the field and play montgomery...he's much more talented...not special by any means but a better talent than owusu

that ball placement by barkley on the fade was as good as it gets in ot...perfect...woods should have gotten 2 feet in bounds...and the ball placement on the ball to the 6 ft 8 te by luck that sucker was money also...only guy who had any chance on that ball was the te

some outstanding stuff in that 2nd half and ot we saw...

Agreed. Owusu didn't look like anything special last year but he's been plain bad this year. Big disappointment. Who knew the Stanford receiving corps would miss Doug Baldwin this much?

If they face LSU or Alabama the lack of anything resembling a playmaker at WR will probably get them beat. They're manufacturing offense with gadgets way more than they would have to if Owusu was even just the average player he was last year.

Agreed. Owusu didn't look like anything special last year but he's been plain bad this year. Big disappointment. Who knew the Stanford receiving corps would miss Doug Baldwin this much?

If they face LSU or Alabama the lack of anything resembling a playmaker at WR will probably get them beat. They're manufacturing offense with gadgets way more than they would have to if Owusu was even just the average player he was last year.

yep...the wrs would be locked down by those athletes on bama or lsu...luck would be having to perform miracles...cause i doubt that running game against either would be able to set up all the stuff they want to do on play action...which is they're bread and butter...not to mention all the pressure he'd face from either...

make stanford have to throw the ball on the outside to its wrs against press coverage from bama or lsu and stanfords gonna have issues

I would take either of those guys straight up over Chad Henne, Matt Moore, and Ted Ginn Jr.'s entire damn family right now. Put a Dolphins jersey on one of those kids tomorrow and give him the keys.

This.

I remember seeing Chad Pennington set up wide before, why not Luck lol. I know the Fins will draft him- reason- he adds a whole new dimension to our wild cat offense :) Sorry had to say it lol

I wonder if the Fins split out Luck wide like Stanford does if Dolphins would howl? LOL.

I am of the opinion that the phins need a Franchise QB. If the opportunity is there to get Barley or Luck then do so. Deliberately, sucking or blowing on purpose is pathetic.

Other than the ability to be an Offensive Co-ord on the field, there is no similarity between Luck & Peyton. AL reminds me of a more intelligent Jim Kelly. Should Miami continue to run a more conservative/traditional Wanny, meatball, Cowher type offense then Luck makes the most sense.

While both are athletic, Barkley is more fluid, a better improviser, & the better choice if Miami is going to run a progressive offense with playmakers att WR, RB, & TE. Clay, Reggie, Gates, & whoever the TE is will the potential to put up monster numbers with Barkley at the helm.

This was a great game. Both QBs had adversity and both bounced back...really impressed with both guys and I'd be happy with either one.

If not for the fumble who knows how long this game would have gone...neither QB was quiting. Excellent display of leadership and resiliancy.

Oregon is gonna smoke Stanford like Santonio Holmes consumes breakfast.

I neglected to mention in post #157 that Luck IMO was way to intense/wound too tight IMO.

AL could have played for Urban Meyer in Gainesville in place of you know who and the Gators wouldn't have missed a beat.

Barkley is more relaxed, calm, & less likely to obsess or stress.

Looked like the refs missed the holding call on the USC tackle, but it all balanced out with the pass interference they didn't call on Stanford early in the game.

The bottom line is both QB's played outstanding, but Matt Barkley outplayed Luck in this one. Several people who have closely watched every game these two quarterbacks have played over their entire careers aren't all that surprised at what they saw, including myself. Barkley played dead even with Luck last year through the first 10 weeks of the season until he injured his ankle against Oregon St.

They're both a cut above the other quarterbacks. Barkley's receivers dropped at least 1 sure TD on him, most likely 2.

Barkley is a far better NFL quarterback prospect than a lot of people think. If Luck didn't get so much hype and recognition as a generational talent, Barkley would be. His profile as a day 1 starter from the moment he stepped on campus in So Cal is magnificent.

I'd be fine with his decision to go ahead and enter the draft if that's what he wants. He's never moved off the #2 QB on my board from the beginning.

All he's done is close the gap between he and Andrew Luck every time he takes a snap.

Looked like the refs missed the holding call on the USC tackle, but it all balanced out with the pass interference they didn't call on Stanford early in the game.

The bottom line is both QB's played outstanding, but Matt Barkley outplayed Luck in this one. Several people who have closely watched every game these two quarterbacks have played over their entire careers aren't all that surprised at what they saw, including myself. Barkley played dead even with Luck last year through the first 10 weeks of the season until he injured his ankle against Oregon St.

They're both a cut above the other quarterbacks. Barkley's receivers dropped at least 1 sure TD on him, most likely 2.

Barkley is a far better NFL quarterback prospect than a lot of people think. If Luck didn't get so much hype and recognition as a generational talent, Barkley would be. His profile as a day 1 starter from the moment he stepped on campus in So Cal is magnificent.

I'd be fine with his decision to go ahead and enter the draft if that's what he wants. He's never moved off the #2 QB on my board from the beginning.

All he's done is close the gap between he and Andrew Luck every time he takes a snap.

I'm pretty sure you've had him rated above Andrew Luck several times.

I'm pretty sure you've had him rated above Andrew Luck several times.

I don't know that I ever had him above Luck, although he's probably been a lot closer to him as a prospect in my mind a lot longer than most.

There are aspects of the position where he's a little further along than Luck, and does a little more consistently...mainly the deep ball down the sidelines, and stick throws into tight windows.

I think if he keeps his level of play up over these final 4 games, he'll continue to close whatever gap there is moreso in the eyes of others, not necessarily mine.

I don't know that I ever had him above Luck, although he's probably been a lot closer to him as a prospect in my mind a lot longer than most.

There are aspects of the position where he's a little further along than Luck, and does a little more consistently...mainly the deep ball down the sidelines, and stick throws into tight windows.

I think if he keeps his level of play up over these final 4 games, he'll continue to close whatever gap there is moreso in the eyes of others, not necessarily mine.
Slimm you think there's a chance that the talking heads may begin to debate who should go #1 between Barkley and Luck and if so would that be enough to push Barkley to declare early?

Slimm you think there's a chance that the talking heads may begin to debate who should go #1 between Barkley and Luck and if so would that be enough to push Barkley to declare early?

I doubt it, although I'm not going to sit here and say it's not possible either.

I tried to get the point across last year that Luck is going to be picked apart in the draft process. He's even going to have critics. He's going to have people that question, and even doubt all the savior hype he's been getting. It's happened to every single QB I've ever seen play. Including Peyton Manning and John Elway.

I think Luck is the best player in college football, but that doesn't mean he's perfect. Peyton Manning wasn't perfect, neither was John Elway, or anybody before or since.

There's only one thing I'd guarantee, and it's that Luck won't be a perfect prospect by the time everyone gets through with him. He'll still go #1, and should.

Back
Top Bottom